My display has a very faint blue dot in the middle

TriangleZ

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
It's hard to see unless it's on a white background, but there's like an airbrush style bluish purple dot about 2mm diameter near the middle of the screen. It does get distracting because I know it's there. Does anyone else notice it? Maybe I should get it exchanged since I paid full retail so I want it to be perfect and would I need to pay for the $35 restock fee?

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
First off did you get or put on a screen protector? I'm going to guess not or that you ruled it out. Go to the playstore, search on 'dead pixel test' and there are several free apps you can use, run the testing to see if you have one, run through all the color schemes and if one shows up , return it for a replacement phone. If it's there you will find it with these tests

TriangleZ

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. I don't have a screen protector yet, but what I see isn't because I didn't have it protected. I downloaded the app and I know for sure it isn't dead pixels. It's like the airbrush tool in paint or Photoshop. I can't take a picture at the moment but it seems to be a display problem so back to the store I go. Hopefully I don't need to pay for restock fee.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
You only pay a restocking fee if your switching devices, they will replace as many droid DNAs as your bring in for free.

TriangleZ

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Update:

Just got back from the Verizon store and had it exchanged so everything is good now, but I may have found out what that blue dot was. The Verizon rep said it's common when you put too much pressure on the screen, that it permanently distort that area. I told her that I never have used that much pressure. Upon further inspection of the phone, we also noticed a piece of lint stuck in between the glass so that was enough of a reason to exchange for a brand new one.

After leaving the store happy, I realized that I may have put pressure on the screen when taking the phone out from my holster. I bought the Verizon brand case and holster combo and I just think it's poorly designed as its a tight fit and the phone is so long. But anyway, it's not like I used all my strength to take it out. I've treated my incredible worse I would think. Was it just that one DNA that had a week display or are these phones that fragile now?

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
Update:

Just got back from the Verizon store and had it exchanged so everything is good now, but I may have found out what that blue dot was. The Verizon rep said it's common when you put too much pressure on the screen, that it permanently distort that area. I told her that I never have used that much pressure. Upon further inspection of the phone, we also noticed a piece of lint stuck in between the glass so that was enough of a reason to exchange for a brand new one.

After leaving the store happy, I realized that I may have put pressure on the screen when taking the phone out from my holster. I bought the Verizon brand case and holster combo and I just think it's poorly designed as its a tight fit and the phone is so long. But anyway, it's not like I used all my strength to take it out. I've treated my incredible worse I would think. Was it just that one DNA that had a week display or are these phones that fragile now?

Glad you were able to get it swapped, now stop using your phone as a stepping stool ! :)

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My DNA seems to also have a very faint spot on the screen. You wouldn't notice it unless you are actually looking for it. It's almost so unnoticeable that I might not return it as I don't want to re-setup everything on my phone again. I have it just the way I want it.

I did try a dead pixel fixer with no luck. I'm wondering if it has more to due with heat for the internals under the screen causing some discoloration.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
There's always the potential with new tech now released to the masses something will show up, The heat issue i'd not lean towards since normal operation isn't a issue and I've had mine tethered streaming video which tends to drive the phone hotter, it was the same on my tbolt as well, alot of radio transmission going on, Screen is fine

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Update:

I just noticed the exact same issue on my phone, it looked like an air brushed blue spot in the middle of the phone and it's most noticeable when I am reading emails or when it's on white background. I finally had the phone set up the way I like, I am not looking forward to exchange it. Will the blue tinted spot go away on it's own if I remove the Verizon case with holster?

TriangleZ

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I doubt it since it might be permanent damage and I didn't wanna take any chances so I returned it. The rep was saying the blue dot is very likely due to my own damage, so there would be a $35 restock fee to exchange. Luckily for me, my phone also had a piece of lint stuck in between the glass so she let me exchange free of charge.

I would exchange while I can, even if it's $35 because it's probably still before 14 days right? So you'll get a new one and not a refurbished one.

ericsc00

Mar 31, 2011
Visit site
Noticed the same issue so googled and ended up here. Removed the Verizon case rebooted the phone and the blue dot was gone. Slipped it back in the case and the blue dot reappeared. Removed case and it went away. Tried slightly tweaking the phone to see if it would dissappear but just more dots showed up. Rather disappointed as I just picked this yesterday but not sure if it's an actual flaw or not. Will try another case and see if it does the same

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Noticed the same issue so googled and ended up here. Removed the Verizon case rebooted the phone and the blue dot was gone. Slipped it back in the case and the blue dot reappeared. Removed case and it went away. Tried slightly tweaking the phone to see if it would dissappear but just more dots showed up. Rather disappointed as I just picked this yesterday but not sure if it's an actual flaw or not. Will try another case and see if it does the same

Thanks Eric. I tried the same things as you did with the case except I didn't reboot. I saw the blue dot then turned the screen off and took the case off and the blue dot was gone just like you mentioned. So I decided to put the case back on with the screen on and the blue dot slowly came back. Took the case off with the screen on and again the dot disappeared. While the case was off I decided to see if there was a issue with pressure on the back of the phone and yes there is. If you put pressure with your fingertip on the back of the phone between the HTC and Beats logos about a 1/4 way from the edge on either side (where it curves down to the edge) you can make the blue dot appear. Be careful not to press too hard though, it'll make more than just a faint blue dot. I tried other areas but it seems these are the only two "soft" spots on the phone.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
My screen has been flawless so far *cross fingers* but that's a shame you guys are having this issue. For a phone of this magnitude, I would be gunning for the Verizon store getting a new one. If this is a problem now, I can only imagine what the refurbs will be like once they get enough back to be sending out "like new" phones for warranty.

The case thing is interesting, haven't seen the case on Verizon's site but if its causing issues with the screen I would really hope that they pull it from the shelves quick!

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Creccaj1 I know you are not having any screen issues but I wonder if you can replicate the issue using the pressure test that I documented. I would be interested to see if this is an issue with all phones as I believe it is the tightness of the cases bringing the issue to light.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
So got the bright idea to try the pressure test on my wife's DNA (don't know why I didn't think of it earlier.) Had the same result when I pressed in the same spot on the back of the phone. Sounds like there is an issue.

jfoofoo

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Stopped by the store and showed the store manager the blue spot on a white screen. Didn't even need to explain anything else to him, he got on the phone and ordered a replacement for me right away and of course it was a free exchange.

TriangleZ

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Seemed like mine was permanent damage as I removed the case, restarted phone, turned off phone, and the dot was always there.

How does a case do this to your DNAs? That's kind of weird, how are they able to disappear and reappear?. Are those blue dots the same as mine? If it's caused by the case, I don't think it's a case issue, more so it should be a phone issue because it isn't able to take pressure on the display at all. I am using the same Verizon case on my new replacement, and everything is fine, no blue dots or anything and I don't think the case is that tight on the phone, only the holster is.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roshanchoudhary