Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree34Likes

Default Re: Broken Screen

Just curious, how much could a slim silicone/TPU case prevent shattering on a light drop? Could a screen protector do anything other than prevent scratches? I went ahead and bought the Ballistic Shell case to be safe, but eventually I'd like to downgrade to something a little more minimalist.

I'm wondering if I need to invest in a screen protector as well--I wouldn't be scratching my keys on the screen or anything, but still. Are there any screen protectors out there that can provide invisible protection that won't fudge up the high-res? Seems a little sad to cover up a gorgeous, slim high-res phone with a bulky case and screen protector, but I want this thing to last me my two years lol.

Its way more saddening to have to replace it. One thing about going with a case this I've noticed is that once I'm at home, in bed, and surrounded by carpet, I take the case off, and appreciate my phone's asthetics that much more.

Sent from my MetroPCS GS3

Those who go without a case are taking a calculated risk. It is affording one the opportunity to enjoy the design of a phone as it was intended, at the expense of an increased risk of breakage or damage.

Contrary to what some may think, going without a case is not akin to driving without a seatbelt. A phone has a set value to it, a life is priceless. Even one trip to an ER is more expensive than the price of a smartphone.

So for those who are prone to dropping things, please, put a case on it. And for the rest of us, who are taking a calculated risk because we enjoy carrying our phones in the most elegant, unobtrusive manner, please don't tell us that this is why we HAVE to have a case.

I rest mine.

I guess this goes without saying but if you break it after you don't want a case to put it in. ........ Don't complain on here lol.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Your fault, not Verizon's, and there is no possibility of returning it now that its broken.

Gorilla glass has never, NOT ONCE, been advertised as shatter or break proof. It is scratch resistant and nothing more.

You learned your lesson. Get a case and make sure your device is secured.
    Actually Corning claims that is tough enough from everyday bumps and. ...... well let me just post it.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Broken Screen-uploadfromtaptalk1355614813224.jpg  

They go close to claiming it but then fink out.

Default Broken Screen

Quote Originally Posted by Markster1 View Post
    Actually Corning claims that is tough enough from everyday bumps and. ...... well let me just post it.

Dropping it in a parking lot certainly isn't everyday use.
    BBSeattle likes this.

Really? So people aren't in parking lots everyday?

Default Broken Screen

Really? So people aren't in parking lots everyday?

Normal people don't drop their phones in parking lots in normal usage.

Accidents happen, that's normal.

Default Broken Screen

Accidents happen, that's normal.

Ha. No, not at all

iTroll

BBSeattle likes this.

Dropping a device is definitely not "normal usage". Doesn't matter if you are talking about a TV, a hamburger, a vase, or a phone. (Well, I suppose a basketball player would consider it "normal" for a basketball... Or a football, if you're Joe Flacco. )

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

"exceptional damage resistance"

That's all you need to know. It's not damage proof.

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

Gorilla Glass 2 is much thinner than the original.

Default Broken Screen

Quote Originally Posted by nextcity View Post
    Gorilla Glass 2 is much thinner than the original.
    Which doesn't mean anything in the context of this discussion.
    Who? likes this.

I can out do that, I took my DNA out of my pocket to see text message unlocked screen and watched the screen shatter. Verizon wants $100 deductible for insurance, HTC wants me to send phone in for them to look at, they did send prepaid mailing label. Have not sent in yet, but will soon. Talked to local repair shop about replacing screen and was told part is not available yet and when it is it will be $420

Same here. Dropped my OG Droid X million of times, one time even in a bowl of soup! I guess these sort of things happen, wrong angle, slippery ground.

I had just gotten my phone had it in my front shirt pocket and I lean over and
    it fell out hit the corner but did not break the screen. But over the weekend I
    dropped it from about 3 feet screen down and pawck I heard it pop (1 1/2 month old). It landed
    on a small peeble in the lower left corner and the entire screen shattered.
    I was told the screen was invincible. I like the phone but my old Droid X
    could really take a punch. Apparently, this screen is a real light weight.
    What do I do now??
    Dr. R

Global Posts
    302 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by charles ramskov View Post
    dropped it from about 3 feet screen down and pawck I heard it pop (1 1/2 month old). It landed
    What do I do now??
    Dr. R
    Uhhhh...

Who told you the phone screen was invincible? The screen is very scratch resistant and truly is tough, but being glass it will still shatter from certain impacts. Do you have insurance on it? That would be your best bet. Next time maybe think about a case. I mean you have had it a month and a half and dropped it twice already.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." - Aristotle
    BBSeattle likes this.

Unbelievable, read a similar thread on our forum the other day.
    Waiting for the "I can't believe it doesn't work after dropping it in the lake" thread.
    With the follow up,"HTC and Verizon should give me a new phone"

By the way, they do make phones for "accident prone people"....

Quote Originally Posted by charles ramskov View Post
    What do I do now??
    Dr. R
    Bummer. I think an insurance claim is your best bet, and I definitely would recommend a case like the Seidio Active in the future. My wife's old OG Droid could be thrown across the room without taking any damage, but I think the trend toward super thin phones is making them more fragile. As such, I'm not sure any of the new phones are as tough as phones from a couple of years ago. I haven't dropped my DNA yet, but I will always use a case, just in case.

Sent from my Asus TF1000000T
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jrwatson View Post
    Just curious, how much could a slim silicone/TPU case prevent shattering on a light drop? Could a screen protector do anything other than prevent scratches? I went ahead and bought the Ballistic Shell case to be safe, but eventually I'd like to downgrade to something a little more minimalist.

I'm wondering if I need to invest in a screen protector as well--I wouldn't be scratching my keys on the screen or anything, but still. Are there any screen protectors out there that can provide invisible protection that won't fudge up the high-res? Seems a little sad to cover up a gorgeous, slim high-res phone with a bulky case and screen protector, but I want this thing to last me my two years lol.
    Keys are not the danger to your screen. Small shards of sand, dirt, and dust particles are what are most likely to damage gorilla glass. Metal such as keys, razor blades, knifed etc have been tested and have not left a mark. However, I would always play it safe and use a protector

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

I have a galaxy grand duos. I accidentally dropped it and the screen shuttered. I feel the break glass as i touch the screen. Some of the break glass was removed in the glass. Is it safe to use or it can affect my lcd? Please answer guyss. Thanks.

Post Re: Broken Screen

The design of the droid DNA is horrible. I have gone through 2 of them already. 1st one my cat bumped off the kitchen counter and it hit the floor completely destroying the screen. So ok..... I used my insurance to replace it and got a case for it this time, I'm texting a friend and some drunk dude bumps into me it falls out my hand and same thing all over again case and all. So the case was a total waste of my money and so is the droid DNA due to design flaws. There is absolutely no reason any phone should be prone to break that easily. My droid 3 was thrown into a brick wall full force by my gf because she was mad at me, it had no case and the only damage done was a tiny scratch in the corner of the screen. Now you tell me what's wrong here. Why am I paying more money for a phone that breaks so easily? Oh yeah because they don't make the droid 3 anymore and I was forced to get HTC's pos droid thinking it would be better then my old one seeing as the idea of making new technology is to improve on the old and make it better so why is it this new phone is less durable? I guess that would require too much common sense for today's day and age to make it more or equally durable insted of less.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast