Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree38Likes
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Default Re: Broken Screen

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Dziuba View Post
    The design of the droid DNA is horrible. I have gone through 2 of them already. 1st one my cat bumped off the kitchen counter and it hit the floor completely destroying the screen. So ok..... I used my insurance to replace it and got a case for it this time, I'm texting a friend and some drunk dude bumps into me it falls out my hand and same thing all over again case and all. So the case was a total waste of my money and so is the droid DNA due to design flaws. There is absolutely no reason any phone should be prone to break that easily. My droid 3 was thrown into a brick wall full force by my gf because she was mad at me, it had no case and the only damage done was a tiny scratch in the corner of the screen. Now you tell me what's wrong here. Why am I paying more money for a phone that breaks so easily? Oh yeah because they don't make the droid 3 anymore and I was forced to get HTC's pos droid thinking it would be better then my old one seeing as the idea of making new technology is to improve on the old and make it better so why is it this new phone is less durable? I guess that would require too much common sense for today's day and age to make it more or equally durable insted of less.
    I beg to differ on the design being terrible. While the design can result in a shattered screen due to edge to edge glass, that is a lot of the appeal. Durability is often sacrificed for aesthetics. I have dropped my phone quite a few times from varying heights, with case and without, and have yet to shatter my screen. Drops and damage really tend to be luck of the draw when it comes, since it highly relies on the angle in which it strikes, the surface in which it lands, and the force behind the drop. I am sorry to hear that you do not like the device, perhaps Verizon can be talked into a trade for a different device? I hear the s3 is probably the closest in value.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app
    Thanked by:
    whendelicious likes this.

The design of the droid DNA is horrible. I have gone through 2 of them already. 1st one my cat bumped off the kitchen counter and it hit the floor completely destroying the screen. So ok..... I used my insurance to replace it and got a case for it this time, I'm texting a friend and some drunk dude bumps into me it falls out my hand and same thing all over again case and all. So the case was a total waste of my money and so is the droid DNA due to design flaws. There is absolutely no reason any phone should be prone to break that easily. My droid 3 was thrown into a brick wall full force by my gf because she was mad at me, it had no case and the only damage done was a tiny scratch in the corner of the screen. Now you tell me what's wrong here. Why am I paying more money for a phone that breaks so easily? Oh yeah because they don't make the droid 3 anymore and I was forced to get HTC's pos droid thinking it would be better then my old one seeing as the idea of making new technology is to improve on the old and make it better so why is it this new phone is less durable? I guess that would require too much common sense for today's day and age to make it more or equally durable insted of less.
    YOU dropping YOUR phone is not a design flaw. Come on, this is common sense.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    mightyfacundo likes this.

ROM
    AOKP

Did you even read what you wrote. You dropped your phone, it broke. How is that a design flaw you DROPPED your phone. It is glass, glass breaks.

Posted via Android Central App
    nothing nothing nothing
    mightyfacundo likes this.

I got a DNA in December. Dropped it on concrete in May and shattered the screen. It fell face down on concrete with a huge hardback book on top of it, I figured that's an unusual accident, didn't think it meant the phone was especially fragile. Replaced it with insurance ($99 deductible!). Yesterday I dropped it again, all by itself, and shattered the screen again. I know, I'm a moron for not having a case. I will now. Meanwhile, another $99 deductible! If I can, I'm trading it for a Galaxy S3 so I can get a Lifeproof case. My niece and her bf have them for their iPhones, they can even SWIM with them. Oh yeah, I've drowned a couple phones before, too. *sigh* Plus I'm a chef, I love the idea of being able to scroll a recipe on the phone with dirty hands and then wash it in the sink. Nuff said here, I'll find or start another thread on good TOUGH cases for this phone.

But I don't want one of those unbreakable "rugged" phones ... I'm a naturalist, birdwatcher, hiker, I use audubon etc. guides on my phone and I need a big enough screen to be able to identify things against pictures. I'm already worried that any tough case is likely to dampen the sound coming from the built-in speaker, when I want help to identify a bird by its song.

And OK, I'm clumsy, but what are the "drops, bumps, and scrapes of everyday life" supposed to be? You all don't think dropping something in a parking lot is everyday life? Haven't you ever lost a glove that way, or anything else out of your pockets? Meh, I'm unimpressed with gorilla glass.

Quote Originally Posted by reginaterrae View Post
    I got a DNA in December. Dropped it on concrete in May and shattered the screen. It fell face down on concrete with a huge hardback book on top of it, I figured that's an unusual accident, didn't think it meant the phone was especially fragile. Replaced it with insurance ($99 deductible!). Yesterday I dropped it again, all by itself, and shattered the screen again. I know, I'm a moron for not having a case. I will now. Meanwhile, another $99 deductible! If I can, I'm trading it for a Galaxy S3 so I can get a Lifeproof case. My niece and her bf have them for their iPhones, they can even SWIM with them. Oh yeah, I've drowned a couple phones before, too. *sigh* Plus I'm a chef, I love the idea of being able to scroll a recipe on the phone with dirty hands and then wash it in the sink. Nuff said here, I'll find or start another thread on good TOUGH cases for this phone.

But I don't want one of those unbreakable "rugged" phones ... I'm a naturalist, birdwatcher, hiker, I use audubon etc. guides on my phone and I need a big enough screen to be able to identify things against pictures. I'm already worried that any tough case is likely to dampen the sound coming from the built-in speaker, when I want help to identify a bird by its song.

And OK, I'm clumsy, but what are the "drops, bumps, and scrapes of everyday life" supposed to be? You all don't think dropping something in a parking lot is everyday life? Haven't you ever lost a glove that way, or anything else out of your pockets? Meh, I'm unimpressed with gorilla glass.
    The really bad thing is with 2 claims in 12 months Asurion cancels your insurance for 12 months...so you'd better find a really good case or that $99 deductible is going to look really, really good compared to replacing your phone at full price!

ROM
    CM10.2

I agree with you that the everyday life thing should include a shattered screen. Its also unfortunate that there aren't better cases for the DNA, like lifeproof. But as a final note I don't think gorilla glass is meant to protect entirely against shattering, I believe it is mainly intended to prevent scratches.
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

Stock Galaxy Tab 10.1 (Help me root it if you're up to the challenge!)

Dropping a phone is not everyday life. Bumps or scratches, maybe. But not dropping it, and certainly not in a parking lot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

ROM
    CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Dropping a phone is not everyday life. Bumps or scratches, maybe. But not dropping it, and certainly not in a parking lot.

Why not? I've seen people do it plenty of times. Hell, I've even done it myself.
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel.Lynch View Post
    Why not? I've seen people do it plenty of times. Hell, I've even done it myself.
    Dropped mine in the parking lot yesterday, it slipped out of my hands while I was juggling keys and phone. I have a Seido Surface case on it, and as far as I can tell neither the case nor the phone suffered an iota of damage. After dropping and cracking the screen on two consecutive Rezounds, I've become a case believer...even though I don't like how the case feels vs. the naked phone.

ROM
    CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by KSDroid01 View Post
    Dropped mine in the parking lot yesterday, it slipped out of my hands while I was juggling keys and phone. I have a Seido Surface case on it, and as far as I can tell neither the case nor the phone suffered an iota of damage. After dropping and cracking the screen on two consecutive Rezounds, I've become a case believer...even though I don't like how the case feels vs. the naked phone.

Nice. Im living on the edge man I'm naked!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

Nice. Im living on the edge man I'm naked!

Even with my history of breaking phones, my DNA would be naked also if Asurion hasn't cancelled my insurance after two claims in 12 months. It's one thing to run around naked, but it's irresponsible to run around naked if you know a sunburn will kill you instead of just being painful! =-O

Sent from my Happily Totally Cool DNA

ROM
    CM10.2

Even with my history of breaking phones, my DNA would be naked also if Asurion hasn't cancelled my insurance after two claims in 12 months. It's one thing to run around naked, but it's irresponsible to run around naked if you know a sunburn will kill you instead of just being painful! =-O

With the size of insurance and deductible I'd rather just buy a different phone on swappa. If I break the DNA I'll either fix it myself or get maybe a galaxy nexus

CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

With the size of insurance and deductible I'd rather just buy a different phone on swappa. If I break the DNA I'll either fix it myself or get maybe a galaxy nexus

Hmmm...just checked Swappa and used DNA's are going for around $300. A year of insurance runs maybe $96, deductible is $100...aren't I still ahead if I want to stick with the DNA? CLNR's aren't risk free but neither is buying used on the open market...I suspect you'd have a little trouble returning a phone to the seller if it didn't work perfectly?

ROM
    CM10.2

Hmmm...just checked Swappa and used DNA's are going for around $300. A year of insurance runs maybe $96, deductible is $100...aren't I still ahead if I want to stick with the DNA? CLNR's aren't risk free but neither is buying used on the open market...I suspect you'd have a little trouble returning a phone to the seller if it didn't work perfectly?

You're right, you're still ahead on the deductible but I'm banking on my track record of never breaking or losing a phone. *knocks on wood*

Edit: and also, hopes that if I did crack my screen that I could repair it myself.
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

Unless you buy a rugged phone, normal use for a smartphone does not include regular drops in a parking lot.

ROM
    CM10.2

Unless you buy a rugged phone, normal use for a smartphone does not include regular drops in a parking lot.

I know that the carriers don't consider it "normal use" but would you say it isn't normal for someone to occasionally drop their phone, possibly in a parking lot?
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

I know that the carriers don't consider it "normal use" but would you say it isn't normal for someone to occasionally drop their phone, possibly in a parking lot?
    Nope. Not normal.

ROM
    CM10.2

Nope. Not normal.

You sir must be the least clumsy person I've ever met, or pseudo met on the internet. You're James Bond dude.
    CM10.2 HTC Droid DNA

CM7 OG Droid

Hi everyone, I got in a very stupid situation. I put my phone (that was in a protective case!!) in my front pocket and ran into a corner of a desk and broke the glass inside of my pocket.

That's not the first time I got to this kind of situation, I've broken Kindle before and successfully replaced screen and fixed it.

So now I need to replace a glass on HTC One (everything else is working properly, only protective glass is broken), but unfortunately I can't find any spare parts for HTC One on amazon or anywhere. Would you be so kind to advise where to buy glass for HTC One and a tutorial on how to disassemble the phone because it seems a bit complicated but not impossible.

Cheers, Valentyn.

Wasn't looking hard enough. Found something that might be useful for other people with the same issue.

Shop with spare parts here

Video where someone disassembles HTC One .

Watch out, the guy on the video disconnects a bunch of things that require soldering to assemble it back, don't follow the video blindly, use your judgement.

I've also called service center to check how much would it cost to repair it and it appears that it will not be cheaper than 100 Pounds. Fun fact: screen cost - 53 pounds.

So I'm still undecided wether to proceed with screen replacement myself and loose the warranty, or go to Service center and pay two and half times of price for this.

Ha. No, not at all
    Seriously?? You must not have a job outside of your home. That most definitely IS everyday use.

YOU dropping YOUR phone is not a design flaw. Come on, this is common sense.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    It IS a design flaw if it breaks too easily.

What a ridiculous statement. Everyone drops things everyday. Especially things they use frequently...like keys, glasses, pens, PHONES...Duh.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123