Broken Screen

ironchefcl

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I can out do that, I took my DNA out of my pocket to see text message unlocked screen and watched the screen shatter. Verizon wants $100 deductible for insurance, HTC wants me to send phone in for them to look at, they did send prepaid mailing label. Have not sent in yet, but will soon. Talked to local repair shop about replacing screen and was told part is not available yet and when it is it will be $420

anon5481041

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
Same here. Dropped my OG Droid X million of times, one time even in a bowl of soup! I guess these sort of things happen, wrong angle, slippery ground.

charles ramskov

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
I had just gotten my phone had it in my front shirt pocket and I lean over and
it fell out hit the corner but did not break the screen. But over the weekend I
dropped it from about 3 feet screen down and pawck I heard it pop (1 1/2 month old). It landed
on a small peeble in the lower left corner and the entire screen shattered.
I was told the screen was invincible. I like the phone but my old Droid X
could really take a punch. Apparently, this screen is a real light weight.
What do I do now??
Dr. R

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
dropped it from about 3 feet screen down and pawck I heard it pop (1 1/2 month old). It landed
What do I do now??
Dr. R

Uhhhh...

Who told you the phone screen was invincible? The screen is very scratch resistant and truly is tough, but being glass it will still shatter from certain impacts. Do you have insurance on it? That would be your best bet. Next time maybe think about a case. I mean you have had it a month and a half and dropped it twice already.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
What do I do now??
Dr. R

Bummer. I think an insurance claim is your best bet, and I definitely would recommend a case like the Seidio Active in the future. My wife's old OG Droid could be thrown across the room without taking any damage, but I think the trend toward super thin phones is making them more fragile. As such, I'm not sure any of the new phones are as tough as phones from a couple of years ago. I haven't dropped my DNA yet, but I will always use a case, just in case.

Sent from my Asus TF1000000T

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Just curious, how much could a slim silicone/TPU case prevent shattering on a light drop? Could a screen protector do anything other than prevent scratches? I went ahead and bought the Ballistic Shell case to be safe, but eventually I'd like to downgrade to something a little more minimalist.

I'm wondering if I need to invest in a screen protector as well--I wouldn't be scratching my keys on the screen or anything, but still. Are there any screen protectors out there that can provide invisible protection that won't fudge up the high-res? Seems a little sad to cover up a gorgeous, slim high-res phone with a bulky case and screen protector, but I want this thing to last me my two years lol.

Keys are not the danger to your screen. Small shards of sand, dirt, and dust particles are what are most likely to damage gorilla glass. Metal such as keys, razor blades, knifed etc have been tested and have not left a mark. However, I would always play it safe and use a protector

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
I have a galaxy grand duos. I accidentally dropped it and the screen shuttered. I feel the break glass as i touch the screen. Some of the break glass was removed in the glass. Is it safe to use or it can affect my lcd? Please answer guyss. Thanks.

Chris Dziuba

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
The design of the droid DNA is horrible. I have gone through 2 of them already. 1st one my cat bumped off the kitchen counter and it hit the floor completely destroying the screen. So ok..... I used my insurance to replace it and got a case for it this time, I'm texting a friend and some drunk dude bumps into me it falls out my hand and same thing all over again case and all. So the case was a total waste of my money and so is the droid DNA due to design flaws. There is absolutely no reason any phone should be prone to break that easily. My droid 3 was thrown into a brick wall full force by my gf because she was mad at me, it had no case and the only damage done was a tiny scratch in the corner of the screen. Now you tell me what's wrong here. Why am I paying more money for a phone that breaks so easily? Oh yeah because they don't make the droid 3 anymore and I was forced to get HTC's pos droid thinking it would be better then my old one seeing as the idea of making new technology is to improve on the old and make it better so why is it this new phone is less durable? I guess that would require too much common sense for today's day and age to make it more or equally durable insted of less.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
The design of the droid DNA is horrible. I have gone through 2 of them already. 1st one my cat bumped off the kitchen counter and it hit the floor completely destroying the screen. So ok..... I used my insurance to replace it and got a case for it this time, I'm texting a friend and some drunk dude bumps into me it falls out my hand and same thing all over again case and all. So the case was a total waste of my money and so is the droid DNA due to design flaws. There is absolutely no reason any phone should be prone to break that easily. My droid 3 was thrown into a brick wall full force by my gf because she was mad at me, it had no case and the only damage done was a tiny scratch in the corner of the screen. Now you tell me what's wrong here. Why am I paying more money for a phone that breaks so easily? Oh yeah because they don't make the droid 3 anymore and I was forced to get HTC's pos droid thinking it would be better then my old one seeing as the idea of making new technology is to improve on the old and make it better so why is it this new phone is less durable? I guess that would require too much common sense for today's day and age to make it more or equally durable insted of less.

I beg to differ on the design being terrible. While the design can result in a shattered screen due to edge to edge glass, that is a lot of the appeal. Durability is often sacrificed for aesthetics. I have dropped my phone quite a few times from varying heights, with case and without, and have yet to shatter my screen. Drops and damage really tend to be luck of the draw when it comes, since it highly relies on the angle in which it strikes, the surface in which it lands, and the force behind the drop. I am sorry to hear that you do not like the device, perhaps Verizon can be talked into a trade for a different device? I hear the s3 is probably the closest in value.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using AC Forums mobile app

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

YOU dropping YOUR phone is not a design flaw. Come on, this is common sense.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2

Jaredshoes

Nov 10, 2010
Visit site

Did you even read what you wrote. You dropped your phone, it broke. How is that a design flaw you DROPPED your phone. It is glass, glass breaks.

Posted via Android Central App

reginaterrae

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I got a DNA in December. Dropped it on concrete in May and shattered the screen. It fell face down on concrete with a huge hardback book on top of it, I figured that's an unusual accident, didn't think it meant the phone was especially fragile. Replaced it with insurance ($99 deductible!). Yesterday I dropped it again, all by itself, and shattered the screen again. I know, I'm a moron for not having a case. I will now. Meanwhile, another $99 deductible! If I can, I'm trading it for a Galaxy S3 so I can get a Lifeproof case. My niece and her bf have them for their iPhones, they can even SWIM with them. Oh yeah, I've drowned a couple phones before, too. *sigh* Plus I'm a chef, I love the idea of being able to scroll a recipe on the phone with dirty hands and then wash it in the sink. Nuff said here, I'll find or start another thread on good TOUGH cases for this phone.

But I don't want one of those unbreakable "rugged" phones ... I'm a naturalist, birdwatcher, hiker, I use audubon etc. guides on my phone and I need a big enough screen to be able to identify things against pictures. I'm already worried that any tough case is likely to dampen the sound coming from the built-in speaker, when I want help to identify a bird by its song.

And OK, I'm clumsy, but what are the "drops, bumps, and scrapes of everyday life" supposed to be? You all don't think dropping something in a parking lot is everyday life? Haven't you ever lost a glove that way, or anything else out of your pockets? Meh, I'm unimpressed with gorilla glass.

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
I got a DNA in December. Dropped it on concrete in May and shattered the screen. It fell face down on concrete with a huge hardback book on top of it, I figured that's an unusual accident, didn't think it meant the phone was especially fragile. Replaced it with insurance ($99 deductible!). Yesterday I dropped it again, all by itself, and shattered the screen again. I know, I'm a moron for not having a case. I will now. Meanwhile, another $99 deductible! If I can, I'm trading it for a Galaxy S3 so I can get a Lifeproof case. My niece and her bf have them for their iPhones, they can even SWIM with them. Oh yeah, I've drowned a couple phones before, too. *sigh* Plus I'm a chef, I love the idea of being able to scroll a recipe on the phone with dirty hands and then wash it in the sink. Nuff said here, I'll find or start another thread on good TOUGH cases for this phone.

But I don't want one of those unbreakable "rugged" phones ... I'm a naturalist, birdwatcher, hiker, I use audubon etc. guides on my phone and I need a big enough screen to be able to identify things against pictures. I'm already worried that any tough case is likely to dampen the sound coming from the built-in speaker, when I want help to identify a bird by its song.

And OK, I'm clumsy, but what are the "drops, bumps, and scrapes of everyday life" supposed to be? You all don't think dropping something in a parking lot is everyday life? Haven't you ever lost a glove that way, or anything else out of your pockets? Meh, I'm unimpressed with gorilla glass.

The really bad thing is with 2 claims in 12 months Asurion cancels your insurance for 12 months...so you'd better find a really good case or that $99 deductible is going to look really, really good compared to replacing your phone at full price!

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

I agree with you that the everyday life thing should include a shattered screen. Its also unfortunate that there aren't better cases for the DNA, like lifeproof. But as a final note I don't think gorilla glass is meant to protect entirely against shattering, I believe it is mainly intended to prevent scratches.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Dropping a phone is not everyday life. Bumps or scratches, maybe. But not dropping it, and certainly not in a parking lot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

KSDroid01

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Why not? I've seen people do it plenty of times. Hell, I've even done it myself.

Dropped mine in the parking lot yesterday, it slipped out of my hands while I was juggling keys and phone. I have a Seido Surface case on it, and as far as I can tell neither the case nor the phone suffered an iota of damage. After dropping and cracking the screen on two consecutive Rezounds, I've become a case believer...even though I don't like how the case feels vs. the naked phone.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
Dropped mine in the parking lot yesterday, it slipped out of my hands while I was juggling keys and phone. I have a Seido Surface case on it, and as far as I can tell neither the case nor the phone suffered an iota of damage. After dropping and cracking the screen on two consecutive Rezounds, I've become a case believer...even though I don't like how the case feels vs. the naked phone.

Nice. Im living on the edge man I'm naked!

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4