Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Broken Screen

I dropped my DNA once - ONCE. It slid very gently out of my jacket pocket and onto the ground from where I was sitting in my car, a drop of about 2 feet. And the entire screen is shattered. I can't even use the front facing camera because a huge crack runs right across it. I called Verizon and they wanted me to turn it in to insurance. Really. After 5 days. I'm thinking 1) this is not the performance they promised with their "gorilla glass" (not that I would expect it to never break, but I wouldn't expect it to shatter from this) 2) If the phone is really this delicate then I'm returning it and getting a different phone. My last phone was a Droid 2X R2D2 from Motorola. I dropped poor R2 about a million times and, while it did break eventually, it was a small crack, not a complete shattering of the glass.

I am completely heatbroken over this because I was really liking this phone. Anyone else have any problems like this?

Default Re: Broken Screen

Dropped mine down brick stairs once...dropped it at the supermarket once, and dropped it at the car wash once. Not a single scratch.
    FD2
    Shadow Lurker

Global Posts
    376 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Sounds like you have a tendency to drop devices and probably should use a case. Nobody promised anything by using gorilla glass. I don't ever recall any documentation of said claim.
    I'm not a star, somebody lied

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Scratch resistant. Not shatter proof. I mean it is glass. Sorry to hear that happen to your phone tho

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Privacy is overrated :P
    adamtalife and revtech like this.

If you drop ANY glass from 2 feet, it has a chance of breaking. It sucks that your brand new phone is broken, but let's be realistic... It's not Verizon's fault.
    Fraggle79 and revtech like this.

Global Posts
    5,154 Global Posts

I would take it in and say you opened the box and it was like that hahaha.

I have two girls with iphone, you can't begin to guess how many screens I've replaced, Ditto on your loss.. they can take a drop but if it hits just the wrong way, well... I dropped my last phone (many times) but the one time afterward the volume buttons would no longer worked.. what a pain !

Nobody promised it wouldn't break if you dropped it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Legalized Drug Dealer

Was it naked with nothing encompassing it?

Sent from my HTC DNA
    -Matt

HTC DNA

Default Broken Screen

Quote Originally Posted by Saraf F View Post
    I dropped my DNA once - ONCE. It slid very gently out of my jacket pocket and onto the ground from where I was sitting in my car, a drop of about 2 feet. And the entire screen is shattered. I can't even use the front facing camera because a huge crack runs right across it. I called Verizon and they wanted me to turn it in to insurance. Really. After 5 days. I'm thinking 1) this is not the performance they promised with their "gorilla glass" (not that I would expect it to never break, but I wouldn't expect it to shatter from this) 2) If the phone is really this delicate then I'm returning it and getting a different phone. My last phone was a Droid 2X R2D2 from Motorola. I dropped poor R2 about a million times and, while it did break eventually, it was a small crack, not a complete shattering of the glass.

I am completely heatbroken over this because I was really liking this phone. Anyone else have any problems like this?
    Your fault, not Verizon's, and there is no possibility of returning it now that its broken.

Gorilla glass has never, NOT ONCE, been advertised as shatter or break proof. It is scratch resistant and nothing more.

You learned your lesson. Get a case and make sure your device is secured.

Global Posts
    350 Global Posts

Generally speaking, the harder something is, like glass, the more brittle it will be. Gorilla glass is extremely hard, therefor scratch resistant, but not so shatter resistant. Find a case you like and keep it protected. Hope you get a new DNA soon!

Quote Originally Posted by jamdmyers View Post
    I have two girls with iphone, you can't begin to guess how many screens I've replaced, Ditto on your loss.. they can take a drop but if it hits just the wrong way, well... I dropped my last phone (many times) but the one time afterward the volume buttons would no longer worked.. what a pain !
    My buddy's iphone screen seemed like it was perpetually cracked. In the 3 years he had them I don't remember once seeing the screen without damage regardless of the fact that he got it replaced 5 times!

This one time at band camp. .........jk

With phone manufacturers pushing the glass to the very edge of these devices, they are more prone than ever to break the screens. Use of a case is a must.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I'd use the insurance then get a case for the new one.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!
    pblakk likes this.

Sarah F:

I just purchased the Droid DNA on Thursday. There were a few issues with it, and I was planning on exchanging it for the Samsung GS 3, Friday after I got off work. Unfortunately, I dropped it from about 4 feet above the ground, inside on a smooth floor, and the screen shattered just like 1 of the old smartphones without Gorilla Glass. Prior to this phone, I had the Droid Razr, and was so impressed with the Gorilla Glass that I would throw it on concrete--yes, literally throw it on concrete--to show friends and clients just how strong Gorilla Glass is. So for my droid DNA to totally shattered from falling, I was shocked. This is a defect with the phone, it is not what people on this thread are saying. It is not the fact that glass shatters. Instead, the glass rest above the lip of the phone so when it hits anything, it will shatter. This phone design will shatter if you had it in your pocket and bumped up again the corner of a countertop. It is such an excellent phone, except for this issue with the positioning of the glass, some issues with Bluetooth connectivity and the fact that it does not have an external SD card slot.

The phone is a beta, and definitely needs a revision before I will purchase it again. It has a beautiful display and takes the most detailed pictures I have ever seen, but if the phone will not last longer than 1 week, it is not worth it. I would wait for the Droid DNA 2 to come out before buying another.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

But I disagree with your conclusion that there is a glass defect. It is edge-to-edge glass, a design FEATURE, and one that is very impressing in use.

I am willing to deal with the prospect of this screen breaking after just one fall (it is what I would expect) for the sake of the edge-to-edge design feature.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

NOW more than ever with edge-to-edge glass being the trend, PUT a case on your phone!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:

Default Broken Screen

Quote Originally Posted by dls2981 View Post
    Sarah F:

I just purchased the Droid DNA on Thursday. There were a few issues with it, and I was planning on exchanging it for the Samsung GS 3, Friday after I got off work. Unfortunately, I dropped it from about 4 feet above the ground, inside on a smooth floor, and the screen shattered just like 1 of the old smartphones without Gorilla Glass. Prior to this phone, I had the Droid Razr, and was so impressed with the Gorilla Glass that I would throw it on concrete--yes, literally throw it on concrete--to show friends and clients just how strong Gorilla Glass is. So for my droid DNA to totally shattered from falling, I was shocked. This is a defect with the phone, it is not what people on this thread are saying. It is not the fact that glass shatters. Instead, the glass rest above the lip of the phone so when it hits anything, it will shatter. This phone design will shatter if you had it in your pocket and bumped up again the corner of a countertop. It is such an excellent phone, except for this issue with the positioning of the glass, some issues with Bluetooth connectivity and the fact that it does not have an external SD card slot.

The phone is a beta, and definitely needs a revision before I will purchase it again. It has a beautiful display and takes the most detailed pictures I have ever seen, but if the phone will not last longer than 1 week, it is not worth it. I would wait for the Droid DNA 2 to come out before buying another.
    Your entire post is incorrect. Gorilla glass, as has been posted a thousand times before, is not shatter proof. If you drop it, chances are it will break. It IS still glass after all. There is no defect. If you took care of your device and didn't drop it, you'd be fine.
    Thanked by 2:

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Your entire post is incorrect. Gorilla glass, as has been posted a thousand times before, is not shatter proof. If you drop it, chances are it will break. It IS still glass after all. There is no defect. If you took care of your device and didn't drop it, you'd be fine.
    I can't believe I'm agreeing with you but I am.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    dsignori and revtech like this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,394 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

Sarah F:
    I had the Droid Razr, and was so impressed with the Gorilla Glass that I would throw it on concrete--yes, literally throw it on concrete--to show friends and clients just how strong Gorilla Glass is.
    And this didn't scratch your phone? I find it hard to believe anyone would do this thinking it was a safe and wouldn't damage your phone.

Default Broken Screen

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    And this didn't scratch your phone? I find it hard to believe anyone would do this thinking it was a safe and wouldn't damage your phone.

He has one post. I think the OP realized he wasn't getting any sympathy and decided to artificially 'support' his own post.
    mclarryjr and paulmike3 like this.

ROM
    ACS SyndicateROM Frozen

Sarah F:

Prior to this phone, I had the Droid Razr, and was so impressed with the Gorilla Glass that I would throw it on concrete--yes, literally throw it on concrete--to show friends and clients just how strong Gorilla Glass is.

Ya I find that hard to believe. The only phone anyone would ever think about throwing on concrete is the Nokiabrick. Those things were indestructable.
    Rizz1-2 likes this.

I had my DNA on the counter and grabbed something that bumped it onto the ground, completely shattered the screen it's my own fault, so insurance is replacing it. This will be the 4th DNA I will have gotten since Sunday, only this is the first time its actually my fault lol. Its an amazing phone (imo), I am not taking any chances this time though, I'm sick of setting them up lol.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

There are posts like these on almost every forum. The glass can break, it can break during the first week, it can break during the first hour. The glass does not get weaker over time, and so later breaks are not more likely. It is not a design flaw, it does not show that the phone is in beta or that it was rushed to market.

But the glass breaking does indicate two things: 1) The phone has glass on it, and 2) You broke it.

Now buy Verizon or Squaretrade insurance and get a replacement.
    BBSeattle, swenpro and Rizz1-2 like this.

Global Posts
    945 Global Posts

I'd recommend Sarah and dls take a course in Reality Adjustment =) sheesh smh
    BBSeattle and Shwee_love like this.

Prior to this phone, I had the Droid Razr, and was so impressed with the Gorilla Glass that I would throw it on concrete--yes, literally throw it on concrete--to show friends and clients just how strong Gorilla Glass is.
    Total BS.
    Thanked by 2:
    lou61166 and jayochs like this.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast