HTC DNA OtterBox Defender Screen Protector Issue

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I finally received my case after ordering it this past Sunday. However, there seems to be an issue with the screen protector. I lose touch sensitivity towards the middle of the screen. Then screen works fine outside the case. Anyone that has this case do you have this issue?

After a brief search I see this maybe a common issue with Defender cases. The problem is the protector bows out in the center so I have to press it to the screen to register a touch. I've owned different Defender cases over the years, first time experiencing this problem.

I wonder if it's worth emailing OtterBox, or remove the protector and use a different one? I may wait a couple days to see if issue resolves with use.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

rayzryd266

Mar 18, 2011
Visit site
I had that same problem with mine when I put it on. It took me about 5 minutes to determine I didn't need it - so off it came and I haven't looked back. I think it's better without, but I did order a couple of screen savers and may install them at a later time

chuch13

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
I also had this issue and took my screen protector off. Only issue is it feels slightly lose on the sides...like it's not completely flush with the phone now. Very minor annoyance. Considering returning to Otterbox for the Commuter series.

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
It's a shame really since other than the "bounce" the protector is crystal clear.

I had the Defender on my S3. The issue with that one was the protector had an odd shimmer so I removed it, used a wet protector instead.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
I've emailed OtterBox, and notified them of this issue. I've also made them aware of this thread. Honestly to me this is a design issue that needs to be corrected.

iLLusive

Vzw Staff
May 11, 2010
Visit site
Would like to chime in here as Verizon rep who sells TON of Otterbox and stands behind this product. I purchased my own from Corp store and had issues with TWO shipped out and both had same screen guard issue with the curve not being even close to usable on the screen. I checked inventory in 2 stores in town and we have a few to our store on the way, ones in stock ALL had same flaw. Please fix this issue Otterbox this case has one best feels of case you have made for phone ever.

Markster1

Aug 17, 2011
Visit site
I took mine off when I carried the Dinc2. I didn't like the fact that dirt or dust could get between the phone and that screen.

Sent from my Verizon Note 2, finally!

kygator13

Feb 27, 2010
Visit site
I had the same issue on my one x, so I took it off, and put on a zagg shield he. It looks so much better and I have great device protection

Sent from my Awesome HTC One X+
Orange & Blue through and through...Go Gators!

Nytom30

Oct 5, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Was wondering what would happen if I took the case off and held a hair dryer over the screen protector for a few seconds. Would it warp it so it makes better contact? I'm afraid to try it.

Necrocis

Apr 28, 2010
Visit site
12/01: Received confirmation of warranty replacement.
12/01: Received instructions for requesting warranty replacement. Advised issue would be hard to show w/ pictures, advised to send them anyway.
12/03: Sent pictures of case to request warranty replacement.
12/04: Received confirmation order for warranty replacement.
12/06: Received invoice.
12/12: Replacement case and holster delivered.
12/13: Replacement case screen protector not as bad but issue still present. Decided to give the case a few days to break in to see if it would improve.
12/19: No improvement w/ screen protector. Removed screen protector, applied Xtreme Guard protector.

Issue "might" be fixed by removing foam inside back piece of case. The screen is beveled (curved glass) I believe the case pushes the phone into the protector thus making it bow to cause the issue.

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
Mine is going back to VZW today. I gave it the weekend to try and "get used to it," but I can't justify a case that makes a fast phone slow to respond.

I'm not usually a case person, but I do need a holster. I was hoping this would work.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't heard anything good about the Otterbox case for the DNA but I have heard great things about the Ballistic cases

I have the Ballistic shell case and it works great. Definitely adds bulk, but that's the price of extra protection. Comes in two pieces, so hypothetically you could just use the slim silicone when you don't need the hard case (the corners have bumpers).

Attachments

• IMG950700.jpg
    IMG950700.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG950703.jpg
    IMG950703.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 21

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I have the Ballistic shell case and it works great. Definitely adds bulk, but that's the price of extra protection. Comes in two pieces, so hypothetically you could just use the slim silicone when you don't need the hard case (the corners have bumpers).

I'd be okay with the bulk knowing my phone is safe & this is definitely one of the better looking cases for the DNA. I go with Ballistic because I like the feedback from pushing the buttons unlike the Otterbox that takes a little extra effort. I will be ordering mine very very soon!!

Raymond Kowitz

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
I to have also had this problem, I have sent back 3 so far hoping it was just a problem with the ones I got but it obvious they all have problems. I'm hoping they fix this problem soon.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
planeboy