I'm sorry, but the battery life on this device is atrocious.

artakartel

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It's impossible to use this device for any length of time without recharging at least once a day. On Friday I want out of my way not to play any videos, all I did was listen to music and browse the internet (LTE). Used it for an hour in the morning and a couple hours in the afternoon and it was DEAD by 4pm.

I like the phone otherwise but if a better phone comes out in the next 3 months I'm afraid I'm selling this, the battery life is worse than my old ass 2 year old iPod Touch 4G.

PsYcHoNeWb

Feb 17, 2011
Visit site
It's impossible to use this device for any length of time without recharging at least once a day. On Friday I want out of my way not to play any videos, all I did was listen to music and browse the internet (LTE). Used it for an hour in the morning and a couple hours in the afternoon and it was DEAD by 4pm.

I like the phone otherwise but if a better phone comes out in the next 3 months I'm afraid I'm selling this, the battery life is worse than my old ass 2 year old iPod Touch 4G.

Strange, my battery life has been more than fine. What you have to remember is this phone does have a full HD 1080p screen and a quad-core CPU. That means you will go through your battery very quickly if you plan to use it a lot. The more screen on time, the more battery drain which is obvious but remember this screen will drain the battery more than a normal 720p screen. Also, listening to music constantly will keep the phone from going to sleep and therefore constantly keeping the CPU running. This will drain the battery since the processor is constantly running. Combine that with having the screen on a lot from browsing (using LTE which is notorious for being a battery hog it self) and you shouldn't expect wonderful battery life.

Don't mean to be negative here but you have to put everything into perspective when it comes to smartphones and battery life.

aallison1882

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
My battery life has been fine as well. I stream a lot of Slacker at work and let the screen stay on while it's playing as well as use my phone as a "third monitor" to filter my corporate email and days that I block off to get busy work done. I'm well aware this will kill the battery of almost any smartphone rather quickly with the exception of the Maxx. Other days at work are filled with back to back to back meetings and I'm hardly able to use my phone which I can to about 30 to 40% when I put it on the charger at night. On the weekends, I have no need to stream music and my phone has 35% left when I got to bed (off charger 8 AM to midnight) with moderate usage playing Words and Scramble, texting, email, surfing the web and general use.

My solution at work... charge it while I'm in my cube listening to Slacker. And on the weekend, put it on the charger when I got to bed. All in all, I'm more than satisfied with the battery life and can trust I'll have battery when I need it. If I wanted/needed more battery than that I would have went with the Maxx but I wanted a phone that was a powerhouse.

artakartel

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
have you read all the battery saving tips that others have posted?
Yup, done all that, like I said, I only used the phone during the hour long commute to work in the morning listening to music and browsing the web, then for almost two hours after work doing the same. When listening to music the screen is off. The phone screen was turning off during work. It was fully charged in the morning and dead in the afternoon. Sorry, but that's ridiculous, what would have happened had I been watching youtube, or looking at a video?

What's the point of a smartphone with all these specs if you can barely use it during the day without dying?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
It's odd, you seem to have usage very similar to mine and I don't have anywhere near that type of battery drain. Perhaps you have a bad phone and should exchange it...

Or perhaps the RAZR Maxx would be a better phone for you.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Yup, done all that, like I said, I only used the phone during the hour long commute to work in the morning listening to music and browsing the web, then for almost two hours after work doing the same. When listening to music the screen is off. The phone screen was turning off during work. It was fully charged in the morning and dead in the afternoon. Sorry, but that's ridiculous, what would have happened had I been watching youtube, or looking at a video?

What's the point of a smartphone with all these specs if you can barely use it during the day without dying?

Something's definitely not right there. Shouldn't be. On a typical day I get around 15 hours out of a charge, often more. Right now I'm at 8h20m with 62% left.

I'm wondering if you've got an account set up that's syncing like crazy? More than it should be?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2

phoenixone

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
artakartel ,

I would definitely go back and have them swap you to another DNA. Something is not right with your phone. You shouldn't be having such poor battery life with your type of usage. I would double check to make sure you don't have a bunch of apps synching like crazy. If there aren't random apps synching every second of the day, Go and have them give you another phone and see how that one works for you. If you get the same drainage, then maybe the DNA is not the best phone for you.

Hope that helps. Good luck.

VVoltz

Feb 7, 2011
Visit site
Something's definitely not right there. Shouldn't be. On a typical day I get around 15 hours out of a charge, often more. Right now I'm at 8h20m with 62% left.

I'm wondering if you've got an account set up that's syncing like crazy? More than it should be?

I agree, I am a power/heavy user and I end up my day with about 15% that include 4h of Screen On time and 14 hours between charges. Battery life is NOT an issue for me and I do use my phone a lot.

artakartel

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I agree, I am a power/heavy user and I end up my day with about 15% that include 4h of Screen On time and 14 hours between charges. Battery life is NOT an issue for me and I do use my phone a lot.
Definitely don't get that. I got the phone from Wirefly, btw.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Geez. I hate seeing bad things about a great phone. I get 14+ on a charge.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

steve0617

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site

Are you in a low 4g signal area? Does the phone struggle to retain its signal and flip back and forth between 3g and 4g?

schwinn123

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I too am having similar issues. At 9.5 hours of very light use, no videos no calls no music, no streaming, im at 20%. I think something may be wrong. I am also noticing a lot of struggling between 3g and 4g and constant wifi disconnect and recconnect. Hoping someone could help me resolve/improve this.

artakartel

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
The phone does take its time switching between wifi and 4g. Even when I manually toggle them on and off, it usually takes a minute to work. Today I toggles the 4g off and the icon was still flashing for a couple hours afterwards, still trying to connect.

jf2go

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I'm not sure what is going on with your phone. I am getting very good battery life with the DNA - easily 16 hours on a charge. I have multiple push email accounts that I check frequently throughout the day for work, as well as other items syncing. I also keep GPS on continuously, and use the mobile hotspot often. I don't stream music or videos frequently, but I have a lot of screen-on time based on my type of usage. Maybe post your battery usage graph for comparison.

schwinn123

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure what is going on with your phone. I am getting very good battery life with the DNA - easily 16 hours on a charge. I have multiple push email accounts that I check frequently throughout the day for work, as well as other items syncing. I also keep GPS on continuously, and use the mobile hotspot often. I don't stream music or videos frequently, but I have a lot of screen-on time based on my type of usage. Maybe post your battery usage graph for comparison.

Here is my graph, any thoughts?

Attachments

• 2012-12-02_21-50-33.png
    2012-12-02_21-50-33.png
    146.1 KB · Views: 99

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

I'm not an expert. But I've heard task killers kill the battery.. I think the phone handles all that stuff. Or you could use the built in one. Also check to see what's killing the battery. Sorry if you already mentioned it. I haven't read all the post

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site

Well, I'm no expert, but it looks like you've got lousy signal strength there. Seems that the places you get the most level battery decline is where you have favorable cell strength. Everyplace else on the graph its dropping like a brick. Are these numbers from predominantly inside your home?

schwinn123

Nov 23, 2012
Visit site
I'm not an expert. But I've heard task killers kill the battery.. I think the phone handles all that stuff. Or you could use the built in one. Also check to see what's killing the battery. Sorry if you already mentioned it. I haven't read all the post

I realize that about the task killers. i actually just downloaded that manager app and was going to try it in the morning, it is actually off. Just thought id give it a shot. The largest amount of my usage leans towards text messages which i use go sms app, camera for some reason though i do take a few pics during the day, wifi, and media server?