There are already threads for this but.. DNA or Razr Maxx HD? My thoughts...

jessieyeahh

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have both in front of me right now. I don't know what to do...... I need your opinions!
I don't care about the price or SD card slot, BTW.

HTC DNA Pros:
Quad core processor
2gb RAM
I have to have this phone for 2 years so I think it would handle upgrades better...
Way better camera than the Razr

Razr Maxx HD Pros:
Longer battery life
LED blinking light that can flash different colors
Motoblur
The vibration is stronger on this phone... sometimes I can't hear my DNA vibrate
I feel like my phone calls are clearer on the Razr

That's all that I can think of for now..
Help me out, please!

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
All I'm going to say is that your list of pros for the razor is pretty weak compared to the DNA pros list. And that motoblur is not a pro IMO. And that you should read into the many threads you know of already :)

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Funny, I never thought about needing to hear a phone vibrate. I use it in to know that my phone is ringing when in my pocket.

As for the for the rest, I recommend taking a look at the Stratosphere 2. It has a physical keyboard!

Although we seem to be relatively honest in this forum about recommendations, you will tend to hear more DNA recommendations.

I chose the DNA because I feel it is more future proof. The specs are comparable to the N4 and HTC devices have generally been very developer friendly. Finally, the screen is just ridiculous!

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The raz is only good for battery life. The DNA is great. Feels and looks good. Wish it came in white

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

huskers15

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
Once development starts for the DNA, you will have the ability to change the colors on the led notification

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I have both in front of me right now. I don't know what to do...... I need your opinions!

HTC DNA Pros:
Quad core processor
2gb RAM
I have to have this phone for 2 years so I think it would handle upgrades better...

Razr Maxx HD Pros:
Longer battery life
Motoblur
The vibration is stronger on this phone... sometimes I can't hear my DNA vibrate

Help me out, please!

Wow, no mention of the screen? Personally I love Moto phones, and had the first Razr Maxx. I like blur and the minimal approach they took by leaving it mostly stock. I was all set to buy the HD as well until I heard about the DNA. It really is a joy to use and look at. I recommend the DNA. You wont be disappointed. Also, as mentioned, it is more future proof.

One more thing, I am pretty sure the point of vibrate is to feel it, not hear it ;)

lazarus2297

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
i have both at the moment too.. (although during lunch today the Razr HD is going back) I willl agree with IRVGOTTI the ONLY reason i would keep the Razr HD at this point would be battery life and honestly I know this will sound weird but the razr gets battery battery life than I need (notice "I" not someone else as I can only speak for me).. with the razr i was getting around 18 hours with 4 screen on time.. just this weekend with my DNA i got 15 hours with over 3 hours screen on time that is really more than I was expecting.. Honestly if the camera on the Razr was as good as the DNA then i might be taking the DNA back but for me the Razr holds no "useable" advantages over the DNA, except that I am normally a motorola fanboy but as much as i was trying to defend the camera on the Razr at launch, after having the DNA in hand I can no longer defend moto's poor camera quality..

this is more of personal preference as well but i think motorola could have made the razr with a bigger screen too, IMO the bezel on that thing is gaudy.. I mean if your gonna not have haptic keys (which i could careless about) make the bezel smaller and screen bigger...

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I have the same dilemma. I was pretty much set on the MAXX HD and then I stopped in at VZW and they had the DNA on display with the MAXX HD. The first thing that I immediately noticed in the side-by-side comparison was the difference in the screen. The DNA 'wowed' me! I played with the camera and the DNA was also noticebly better. The things that scare me about the DNA though is battery life and no SD slot. If I am reading my Rezound storage correctly, I only currently am using about 3GB of my available internal and SD storage so 16 GB should be adequate (unless I ever get around to loading music onto my phone). But, I am not always timely with transferring photos/data from my phone to my computer so I worry about losing important data if there were to be any type of hardware malfunction. With no SD slot, do you all just regularly 'back-up' your phone?

My top priorities in a phone are Battery Life (MAXX HD), Camera Quality (DNA), Call Quality (could not compare in store) and Signal Quality (could not compare in store). Regarding the Call and Signal Quality, the VZW rep said there is no difference, but I had seen and been told previously that Motorola is known for having better Call and Signal quality. Thoughts on that?

I am a contract upgrade user so whichever phone I decide on, I will need to keep for 2 years.

oscarnyc

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Typically MOT radios are better, but I think it only matters if you live (or frequently visit) an area without great LTE coverage. From my understanding, when the phone is frequently switching between 3G and LTE it kills the battery. Cameras can't be remedied - the Maxx HD's one is mediocre, whereas the DNA is very good. Battery life can be tweaked to improve, or you can carry an external pack if necessary.
I'm in the same boat as you, but for me battery life and storage are more important than cameras. But I love that DNA screen - and the phone is so well designed in terms of minimal bezel and the off-screen buttons that along with the higher resolution I was blown away with how much more is (clearly) visible on the screen than the just .3" smaller screened RAZR. Truly impressive.

jneusch

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I had the Maxx HD for a week and returned it going back to a 4s (no bashing - work purposes). I really, really miss the Maxx HD. I had a GS3 before. The battery life and radio were definitely better than the GS3, which wasn't terrible. I do travel quite a bit over a 3 state territory, so battery life and a great radio are really important. I am actually upgrade eligible in January and I am torn about getting an iPhone 5, RMHD or DNA. If I move from iOS it will cost me an extra $15 per month, which is why I went back to iPhone. I haven't had much experience with the DNA, but if battery life isn't a top priority I would think, from a specs standpoint, that the DNA is the way to go.

The one big thing I felt I gave up going from the GS3 to the RMHD was screen real estate. Even though it was only .1", the haptic buttons made it more like .5". I am really struggling with the iPhone because of the screen size and I don't see that big an advantage in the 5 compared to the RMHD or DNA.

Good luck making your decision. I am still giving it a lot of thought. My wife is tired of me buying phones at retail and selling them later, lol. Unlike you, the lack of expandable storage is a big deal. I have about 11gb of music, which I use to keep me entertained in the car. I'm not sure how I would do without the storage and keep my data usage in check.

jessieyeahh

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
I have the same dilemma. I was pretty much set on the MAXX HD and then I stopped in at VZW and they had the DNA on display with the MAXX HD. The first thing that I immediately noticed in the side-by-side comparison was the difference in the screen. The DNA 'wowed' me! I played with the camera and the DNA was also noticebly better. The things that scare me about the DNA though is battery life and no SD slot. If I am reading my Rezound storage correctly, I only currently am using about 3GB of my available internal and SD storage so 16 GB should be adequate (unless I ever get around to loading music onto my phone). But, I am not always timely with transferring photos/data from my phone to my computer so I worry about losing important data if there were to be any type of hardware malfunction. With no SD slot, do you all just regularly 'back-up' your phone?

My top priorities in a phone are Battery Life (MAXX HD), Camera Quality (DNA), Call Quality (could not compare in store) and Signal Quality (could not compare in store). Regarding the Call and Signal Quality, the VZW rep said there is no difference, but I had seen and been told previously that Motorola is known for having better Call and Signal quality. Thoughts on that?

I am a contract upgrade user so whichever phone I decide on, I will need to keep for 2 years.

I have relatively weak reception in my apartment... so with the DNA my calls are sometimes choppy and with the MAXX HD I had no problems. That's one of the reasons why I'm on the fence!

AmousmosesMW

Feb 14, 2011
Visit site
I live in a suburb of a larger city, but my house seems to be in a hole so to speak as my signal on my Thunderbolt and on my Rezound bounces from 4g to 3g to 1x to no signal all day long. I do connect to my Wifi when home, but that doesn't help calls. I have had some dropped calls or poor quality calls. My backup for dealing with that is using my landline, but now that everyone in the house has a cell phone, I was hoping to be able to get rid of the landline after I get a new phone that can handle the calls well.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
I have not used the Razr Maxx but I did use a Gnex for almost a year before going to the DNA. I can tell you that the radio in the DNA is so much better that the Gnex it isn't even funny. The Gnex would always be hunting for a 4g signal in places where I'm getting stable 3-4 bar reception with the DNA. And the Gnex was horrible at trasitioning from wifi to 3/4g service. Often I would have to toggle or disable and re-enable 3/4g service after being connected at home or elsewhere to wifi. Not so with the DNA. As soon as I'm out of wifi range, 4g is there as solid as a rock. I, too have heard that the radios in the Motorola phones are great but I have a hard time imagining they could be any better than the DNA which is simply superb.

tkags85

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

HTC DNA Pros:
Quad core processor
2gb RAM

Razr Maxx HD Pros:
Longer battery life
Motoblur

Help me out, please!

Its like you are asking a comparison between a Mustang and a Prius.. lol..

Ronald Montes

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I am an inovator and owner of a tech support company. I have never been so undecided before because recalling from memory there has never been such a even pro and con list between devices. What I mean to say is that either compromise is very high. I am a motorolow fan and I like that motorolla uses a very vanila ver of Android. I, I'll say it. HATE THE HTC SENSE SKIN! That been said I was sick of my Motorola DROID razr (white) devices horrible battery life. So, my plan on was buying the Motorola DROID razr MAXX HD. But when I got to the store I saw the DNA being featured. I noticed that HTC sense has improved and really complements the new Android update 'jellybean'. I have been really wanting a quad core device. Everything on paper made the DNA very attractive. Especially the extra GB of RAM. It felt really good in my hand and no one will dispute has the highest display quality of any device. I think the physical design is hokie though. In addition, the DNA was about $70 cheaper. That I didn't understand sinse the specs where so much higher than the razr maxx HD. I purchased it. Some of my old time wose regarding HTC sense came back but the only real problem I was having was batery life. I promised my self that batery life would always be my highest prioriety now. I am so sick and tired of right when I really need my phone for something important IT DIES! The DNA batery life was slighty beter than the droid razr (white) however. So, I exchanged the DNA for my first intended choice maxx hd. Immidianlty I missed the awesome screen However was relieved wht the more cleaner and effecient UI. However I noticed that now gallery doesnt sync and link to my other online photo albums that blows. Motorolla sucked on support and kept me on hold for half hour before I hung up. I'm truly trying to talk myself into seeing if I can exchange phone one more time and deal with having the monitor the batery life all the time. Gosh, if the maxx could just have the quad core, huge screen and gallery sync (by the way it wasnt the jellybeean update that screwed up gallery because DNA with update still syncs to all online galleries) it would be the perfect phone, oh yeah and the extra GB of RAM to. Decisions, decisions. I don't know. I'm going to call manager at Verizon and see if they will let me exchange one more time. Still undecided. I'm using the heck out of max to see if it is way better in batery life than dna. If it's only just a little better, I'm going to try to exchange for DNA

Ronald Montes

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
All I'm going to say is that your list of pros for the razor is pretty weak compared to the DNA pros list. And that motoblur is not a pro IMO. And that you should read into the many threads you know of already :)

Not if you use your phone truly as a smart phone and or for business because unless you walk around the your phone connected to wall outlet all day all the high end specs mean nothing if your PHONE BATTERY IS DEAD!

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Not if you use your phone truly as a smart phone and or for business because unless you walk around the your phone connected to wall outlet all day all the high end specs mean nothing if your PHONE BATTERY IS DEAD!

I haven't had that problem with my phone yet so..... Ya....

Sent over the interwebs using a DNA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1354721963899.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1354721963899.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 34

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Finally got to a verizon mother-ship store yesterday to give these two a whirl . . I was going in expecting to decide on the maxx hd because of battery life, but wow the dna sure is an impressive device. Quite frankly I don't need anywhere near the specs that the dna offers, but for the price why not have more than I need. And probably the dumbest part of my whole comparison was that I just liked holding the dna more, it just felt so good in my hand that I kept going back to it.

I don't make decisions very quickly, so I am enjoying hearing what the dna fans/owners are saying here about their experiences with the device; keep it up and I may be convinced yet. I don't think the 11 gb storage is an issue for me since it is primarily for calls, texts, email, websearches, social media updates, and maps (in other words I'm not carrying my music library and movies), but I definitely want to know I can get through a good solid day of use with the battery without having to go nuts with turning everything off/down. I plug my phone in every night anyway so I don't think I need multiple days' use from the battery (although I guess it would be nice). I'm also not that familiar with sense but it didn't seem to be a big deal good or bad.

jessieyeahh

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your great and thoughtful responses!! I ended up bringing the HD MAXX back and stuck with the DNA. After a long, LONG debate in my head, I decided that battery life wasn't going to stop me from keeping the DNA. Honestly, I charge my phone every night and the DNA can last me throughout the day at average use. The battery life of the MAXX HD was at around 20% by the time I was going to bed... it wasn't even that much of a difference compared to the DNA. Also, the MAXX HD seemed to lag more than the DNA did. And I also hate the bezel on the MAXX HD. I don't know. the DNA just feels better, looks better, runs better. The only downside is the LED light... I don't know why it bothers me so much! I just like to customize the light (when my boyfriend texts me it blinked purple on my motorola. silly, I know). I don't know. I think I'll get over it though. But yeah, I finally feel like I made the right decision in keeping the DNA. Hope this helps for anyone who is still on the fence. #firstworldproblems

lazarus2297

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your great and thoughtful responses!! I ended up bringing the HD MAXX back and stuck with the DNA. After a long, LONG debate in my head, I decided that battery life wasn't going to stop me from keeping the DNA. Honestly, I charge my phone every night and the DNA can last me throughout the day at average use. The battery life of the MAXX HD was at around 20% by the time I was going to bed... it wasn't even that much of a difference compared to the DNA. Also, the MAXX HD seemed to lag more than the DNA did. And I also hate the bezel on the MAXX HD. I don't know. the DNA just feels better, looks better, runs better. The only downside is the LED light... I don't know why it bothers me so much! I just like to customize the light (when my boyfriend texts me it blinked purple on my motorola. silly, I know). I don't know. I think I'll get over it though. But yeah, I finally feel like I made the right decision in keeping the DNA. Hope this helps for anyone who is still on the fence. #firstworldproblems
I think you made a good choice your reasons for keeping the are pretty much my exact reasons for doing the same.. i too miss the notification led from the razr HD.. the notification led on the DNA is almost pointless... :(

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jan