Random "No Sim Card" Icon and dropping signal randomly

Bocajb

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
Re: Random "No Sim Card" Icon and dropping signal randomly and antenna issues

We bought two Droid DNA's 1.5 years ago. I have been plagued with the SIM card issues.. two cards to date.

Our biggest issue is we live in an area of supposedly great Verizon coverage, but we both get 1 bar at 3G or it goes to 1X all the time and concurently. Mind you we are paying for 4G and expect it. Our neighbor has an Apple thru Verizon and has no issues. I have even went outside and had 5 dropped calls during a business conference call. Its not the house. I suspect bad antennas.

Is this HTC a piece of junk or what?

And this latest Android update as it pertains to speaker phone and mute. I frequently am on calls and noticed one day the menu option was gone. Supposedly you now flip the phone upside down and it will be on speaker.. as to mute.. I think this is the dumbest thing imaginable. Put back the menu so I know for sure I am on mute and that I am on speaker. Heaven forbid I say something when I thought I was on mute..

Dudes (Google) we are not all pimple faced kids walking around with cell phones like we are on heroin. I use it for Business. And all the Apps cluttering my screen with crap I don't use. Its like multiple trashy bill boards. The first phone company that gives a phone that is 4g, technically solid, with no apps, I am going for it.

Google email sucks too but need not pile on too many problems right? You can be in an discussion thread email and you recieve another email and this gets incorporated in that original email discussion thread.

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site

We bought two Droid DNA's 1.5 years ago. I have been plagued with the SIM card issues.. two cards to date.

Our biggest issue is we live in an area of supposedly great Verizon coverage, but we both get 1 bar at 3G or it goes to 1X all the time and concurently. Mind you we are paying for 4G and expect it. Our neighbor has an Apple thru Verizon and has no issues. I have even went outside and had 5 dropped calls during a business conference call. Its not the house. I suspect bad antennas.

Is this HTC a piece of junk or what?

And this latest Android update as it pertains to speaker phone and mute. I frequently am on calls and noticed one day the menu option was gone. Supposedly you now flip the phone upside down and it will be on speaker.. as to mute.. I think this is the dumbest thing imaginable. Put back the menu so I know for sure I am on mute and that I am on speaker. Heaven forbid I say something when I thought I was on mute..

Dudes (Google) we are not all pimple faced kids walking around with cell phones like we are on heroin. I use it for Business. And all the Apps cluttering my screen with crap I don't use. Its like multiple trashy bill boards. The first phone company that gives a phone that is 4g, technically solid, with no apps, I am going for it.

Google email sucks too but need not pile on too many problems right? You can be in an discussion thread email and you recieve another email and this gets incorporated in that original email discussion thread.
If you're getting dropped calls it sounds like you might have a hardware issue specific to your phone. A lot of people (including me) have the Sim card issue. I fixed my issue originally by putting a piece or two of scotch tape on top of the Sim card. Now I'm running NuSense Six ROM and it has a bug fix to get rid of the Sim card issue. Other than that, if you want something stock android with no B.S. get a nexus device. I'm currently using my Samsung Galaxy Nexus that is a 4g device with no issues, despite its "age."

kpluck

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site

So I have replaced the SIM card in my DNA twice so far (almost 2 years old) and last week, once again, I started getting the no SIM card error. I first noticed it when the phone was sitting on my wireless (Verizon) charger. When I picked up the phone it felt a bit warm. Not unusually warm but it occurred to me at the time to take the phone out of its case.

Since I have done that, the error has not returned. Is it possible for heat to cause a problem I wonder? Probably a long shot. It has only been a week so we will see if the error stays gone or comes back.

-kpluck

Daniel.Lynch

Jun 15, 2010
Visit site
So I have replaced the SIM card in my DNA twice so far (almost 2 years old) and last week, once again, I started getting the no SIM card error. I first noticed it when the phone was sitting on my wireless (Verizon) charger. When I picked up the phone it felt a bit warm. Not unusually warm but it occurred to me at the time to take the phone out of its case.

Since I have done that, the error has not returned. Is it possible for heat to cause a problem I wonder? Probably a long shot. It has only been a week so we will see if the error stays gone or comes back.

-kpluck
I guess its technically possible, but I think it unlikely. What case were you using? Also, are you on the stock ROM?

dnafog

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
My sim card events tend to be short (less than a minute or two) in areas of poor reception, once every month or two.
But I'm retired and don't stress much about anything these days.
:p

kpluck

Nov 5, 2012
Visit site
Just thought I would post back about my experience since removing the case on my DNA. I did have one other occurrence of the "no sim card" error a few days after I removed the case but other than that one time, the problem has not returned.

I don't know if the case was somehow contributing to the problem because of heat or any other reason. I will say that two other times I have had this issue the problem got steadily worse but in this instance the problem seems to have gone away. Do with that what you will.

-kpluck