Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By chickweedblur
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone Switch From an iPhone 5 to a DNA?

I'm just wondering if anyone has done this?

What are your thoughts?

Call quality?

Battery life?

Anything you want to add?

I appreciate anything. I'm thinking of moving to a DNA and getting rid of my iPhone. Thanks!

Default Re: Anyone Switch From an iPhone 5 to a DNA?

I didn't switch from an iPhone 5 but my wife has one.. i would say the battery life might actually be slightly better on my DNA.. but my wife's usage differs greatly from mine.. so that one is hard for me to judge accurately.

Call quality seems the same to although just today in a horribly weak signal area i had to borrow my wife's iPhone to place a call.. but i don't think that is typical..

I will say that being able to use 4g data and voice at the same time has been really convenient a few times.. and the verizon iPhone 5 lacks this ability..
    Any other specific questions i will be glad to help... other than the standard iOS vs. Android debates... that is up to you to decide which platform you like better..
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

My son has an iPhone 5, and personally, I wouldn't trade.

Keep in mind that during the holiday season, Verizon gives you until (I believe) Jan. 15th to decide to either keep a new phone, or return it with no penalty.

Double check this, but that's what I was told. I'm sure by Jan. 15th, my mind will be made up, but so far, after a week, I'm really loving this phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildo6882 View Post
    I'm just wondering if anyone has done this?

What are your thoughts?
    Much happier.
    Call quality?
    Improved. Don't know if it's b/c I switched to verizon or the radio.
    Battery life?
    Same-ish. I get through a day.

Anything you want to add
    I went from a 4s to an S3 to a Iphone5 to a DNA. Finally happy.
    I appreciate anything. I'm thinking of moving to a DNA and getting rid of my iPhone. Thanks!
    Thanked by:
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus2297 View Post
    I didn't switch from an iPhone 5 but my wife has one.. i would say the battery life might actually be slightly better on my DNA.. but my wife's usage differs greatly from mine.. so that one is hard for me to judge accurately.

Call quality seems the same to although just today in a horribly weak signal area i had to borrow my wife's iPhone to place a call.. but i don't think that is typical..

I will say that being able to use 4g data and voice at the same time has been really convenient a few times.. and the verizon iPhone 5 lacks this ability..
    Any other specific questions i will be glad to help... other than the standard iOS vs. Android debates... that is up to you to decide which platform you like better..
    Thanks for that. I'm definitely not looking to get into an iPhone/DNA debate. I know I like both platforms. I know which one does what and what I like. Part of my issue is my love for both.

I sometimes have to spot charge my iPhone to make it completely through a day safely, so that it isn't a big deal. I just don't want it to be dead by 2 PM.

What do you think of the storage? That's another issue for me. I've got a 32gb iPhone with 4.5gb left. I can take the music off because everything is on Google Music, so that would save me about 7gb.

Also, how would you compare the camera? Pictures are very important to me. We have a one month old little girl and I don't want to miss a moment.

Thanks again for your help!
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

So what exactly makes you happier? You've gone from the exact same lineage of phones as I have. I had a 4S, went to an S3, then now to an iPhone 5.

I know I like both platforms, so that's not the issue. And I will actually still have an iPad, so I won't be iOS-less.

Thanks for your comments!

So what exactly makes you happier? You've gone from the exact same lineage of phones as I have. I had a 4S, went to an S3, then now to an iPhone 5.

I know I like both platforms, so that's not the issue. And I will actually still have an iPad, so I won't be iOS-less.

Thanks for your comments!
    I was bored/frustrated with ios. I was pissed about apple maps....couldn't default to another map app. My last vacation had tons of purple around the edges of otherwise great pictures. Apple told me I was holding it wrong. I love google now and google voice. It's replaced a lot of apps. I love the screen size, after the s3 going back to 4" was never really an option, just needed to find the right phone.
    Thanked by:
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by nestafaria View Post
    I was bored/frustrated with ios. I was pissed about apple maps....couldn't default to another map app. My last vacation had tons of purple around the edges of otherwise great pictures. Apple told me I was holding it wrong. I love google now and google voice. It's replaced a lot of apps. I love the screen size, after the s3 going back to 4" was never really an option, just needed to find the right phone.
    Thank you. I've grown a little bored with iOS. It's getting quite stale. Not a whole lot you can do with it. It is smooth and everything works, but that's about all I can say for it. To have an iPad, that's a different story. And I'll still have one of those. But as phones go, what can you do on an iPhone that you can't on an Android phone? Nothing. But the same definitely cannot be said the other way around.

What do you think of the storage? That's another issue for me. I've got a 32gb iPhone with 4.5gb left. I can take the music off because everything is on Google Music, so that would save me about 7gb.
    Also, how would you compare the camera? Pictures are very important to me. We have a one month old little girl and I don't want to miss a moment.
    Thanks again for your help!
    Just saw this post, normally not up this early. I find the DNA camera/software much better. And HTC does a great job organizing photos by date and gps location. You can also take videos, and then make pictures from the video. As well as just hold down the camera button, take many photos, and it selects the best. So for me, it was much improved.

I have everything in the cloud now. I went from 2GB/month to 6-7. Just FYI. And I gave up my unlimited plan, so I'll be bumping my plan up. Not that big of a deal to me, but something to consider.
    Thanked by:
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

Quote Originally Posted by nestafaria View Post
    Just saw this post, normally not up this early. I find the DNA camera/software much better. And HTC does a great job organizing photos by date and gps location. You can also take videos, and then make pictures from the video. As well as just hold down the camera button, take many photos, and it selects the best. So for me, it was much improved.

I have everything in the cloud now. I went from 2GB/month to 6-7. Just FYI. And I gave up my unlimited plan, so I'll be bumping my plan up. Not that big of a deal to me, but something to consider.
    Yeah, no worries. Thanks for your comments. I do appreciate it. And I'd be buying off contract so it wouldn't affect my unlimited for now.

I had an iPhone 5 at launch and, got it as a new Verizon customer. I've had an iPhone since the 3gs. I paid full price for the DNA last week, haven't sold the iPhone yet. My only other experience with Android was a Galaxy S3 I demo'd for a month before I left AT&T.

My observations regarding the DNA vs iPhone in no particular order are:
    Call quality is comparable. Both sound excellent on Verizon, I think the speakerphone on the DNA is a bit louder and clearer.

Battery life is all over the map. It's hard to say for sure since loading and unloading apps and setting up the phone can really drain the battery fast. Once you get it the way you want it, the DNA is very good. I can easily make it through the day and almost 2 on the weekends. I'm chained to a desk during the week so if I got a Qi charger for my desk (have one at home) and just set it on there I'd probably never see a day below 75% charge. I've been playing with it most of the morning today with txt, d/l apps, email, etc and it's down from 100% to 91% in 4 hours. I think that's pretty good. If you have a long commute and like to watch videos or browse the whole time you'll probably have issues without a charger. I think the iPhone, given its limit background processes is a bit more efficient at idle.

I think the DNA camera is slightly better. I haven't played with settings much but I think the indoor picts from the DNA look cleaner and a bit cooler. Outdoors both look excellent.

Lack of a memory card or an option for 32gb is disappointing - hell, I'd be happy if you even GOT 16gb to use. It's not like the iphone is any different though. It hasn't been a problem for me and can't think of how it would, I have wifi and home and at work and don't watch alot of movies on my phone. Even if you do, you can always use Handbrake to rip movies down to 1gb or less. I have a 64gb Kingston wi-drive that I take when we travel and acts as a store house for 40-50 movies for phones or tablets if needed. It's small and works well.

The screen on the DNA is spectacular and the ability to configure it with apps and widgets exactly the way you want make it impossible to go back to the iPhone. The build quality is excellent. It is big compared to the iPhone so you should definitely hold it and put it in you pocket to see if it suits you. When I go back and forth I'm always struck by how small the iPhone feels in comparison.

Personally, I am utterly bored with iOS. I haven't loaded a new app in months. It's just not that interesting and the screen is too small for my aging eyes!

That said, the DNA is not perfect. While the hardware is great, there's enough amateur hour with Android that will ensure Apple's market for a long time to come. None of my piers with iPhones would have any interest in dealing with it. The standard messaging app is weak, the stock email app is even worse if you have multiple email accounts (exchange, gmail, pop, etc.) and want see more than 6 emails at a time or view attachments. After trying at least 6 clients, I've given up on having a single email client. You find and app or launcher you love only to find it won't play well with something else you love. It definitely takes a commitment of time to get things just right. If you can power through that, you'll never want to go back. I thought I might keep the iPhone and switch back and forth periodically but after 10 days I really don't think I'll miss it. It's definitely going up for sale.
    Thanked by 3:
    jreed2560 likes this.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

Quote Originally Posted by chickweedblur View Post
    I had an iPhone 5 at launch and, got it as a new Verizon customer. I've had an iPhone since the 3gs. I paid full price for the DNA last week, haven't sold the iPhone yet. My only other experience with Android was a Galaxy S3 I demo'd for a month before I left AT&T.

My observations regarding the DNA vs iPhone in no particular order are:
    Call quality is comparable. Both sound excellent on Verizon, I think the speakerphone on the DNA is a bit louder and clearer.

Battery life is all over the map. It's hard to say for sure since loading and unloading apps and setting up the phone can really drain the battery fast. Once you get it the way you want it, the DNA is very good. I can easily make it through the day and almost 2 on the weekends. I'm chained to a desk during the week so if I got a Qi charger for my desk (have one at home) and just set it on there I'd probably never see a day below 75% charge. I've been playing with it most of the morning today with txt, d/l apps, email, etc and it's down from 100% to 91% in 4 hours. I think that's pretty good. If you have a long commute and like to watch videos or browse the whole time you'll probably have issues without a charger. I think the iPhone, given its limit background processes is a bit more efficient at idle.

I think the DNA camera is slightly better. I haven't played with settings much but I think the indoor picts from the DNA look cleaner and a bit cooler. Outdoors both look excellent.

Lack of a memory card or an option for 32gb is disappointing - hell, I'd be happy if you even GOT 16gb to use. It's not like the iphone is any different though. It hasn't been a problem for me and can't think of how it would, I have wifi and home and at work and don't watch alot of movies on my phone. Even if you do, you can always use Handbrake to rip movies down to 1gb or less. I have a 64gb Kingston wi-drive that I take when we travel and acts as a store house for 40-50 movies for phones or tablets if needed. It's small and works well.

The screen on the DNA is spectacular and the ability to configure it with apps and widgets exactly the way you want make it impossible to go back to the iPhone. The build quality is excellent. It is big compared to the iPhone so you should definitely hold it and put it in you pocket to see if it suits you. When I go back and forth I'm always struck by how small the iPhone feels in comparison.

Personally, I am utterly bored with iOS. I haven't loaded a new app in months. It's just not that interesting and the screen is too small for my aging eyes!

That said, the DNA is not perfect. While the hardware is great, there's enough amateur hour with Android that will ensure Apple's market for a long time to come. None of my piers with iPhones would have any interest in dealing with it. The standard messaging app is weak, the stock email app is even worse if you have multiple email accounts (exchange, gmail, pop, etc.) and want see more than 6 emails at a time or view attachments. After trying at least 6 clients, I've given up on having a single email client. You find and app or launcher you love only to find it won't play well with something else you love. It definitely takes a commitment of time to get things just right. If you can power through that, you'll never want to go back. I thought I might keep the iPhone and switch back and forth periodically but after 10 days I really don't think I'll miss it. It's definitely going up for sale.
    Thanks for the info. And I've used a multitude of Android phones and know that I like them. I'm definitely not the kind of guy who wants iOS and that is that. But it is getting rather boring to me. There's just so much more I can do with Android. I appreciate your comparisons. I think I'm going to be looking into getting a DNA pretty soon.

Thank you. I've grown a little bored with iOS. It's getting quite stale. Not a whole lot you can do with it. It is smooth and everything works, but that's about all I can say for it. To have an iPad, that's a different story. And I'll still have one of those. But as phones go, what can you do on an iPhone that you can't on an Android phone? Nothing. But the same definitely cannot be said the other way around.
    Exactly how I feel. I've always had Android phones, but after moving from the XOOM to the iPad, it's clear to me that it's a different story for tablets.

I do have a ipod touch where I can mostly emulate the phone environment and it bores me to tears as well. Android's notification system, customization options, choice of sizes, shapes and options for phones, as well as sharing options for apps are all clear, clear advantages for Android overall IMO. iOS on phones seems dated at this point to me ..
    Last edited by dsignori; 12-06-2012 at 06:10 PM.
    Thanked by:
  14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

Quote Originally Posted by dsignori View Post
    Exactly how I feel. I've always had Android phones, but after moving from the XOOM to the iPad, it's clear to me that it's a different story for tablets.

I do have a ipod touch where I can mostly emulate the phone environment and it bores me to tears as well. Android's notification system, customization options, choice of sizes, shapes and options for phones, as well as sharing options for apps are all clear, clear advantages for Android overall IMO. iOS on phones seems dates at this point to me ..
    Yep. As a tablet interface, I have no qualms with it. As a kid's toy or smartphone for someone who doesn't want to mess with the phone, it's great. But for us Android lovers and people on this site, it is dreadfully boring. And the smoothness of Android has caught up, as have the apps, so that argument has gone by the wayside.

About two weeks ago I upgraded from a Samsung Galaxy to an I-phone 5. the primary reason was that I wanted a seamless experience experience between handset and software. Android can be buggy, especially when receiving updates.

While the design of the I-phone is very clean, it has a very sterile tool-like feel to it. In other words the UI and feel of the handset feels uninspired and boring. In terms of functionality the I-5 is very fast and the battery lasts all day long - Way longer than my EPIC.

However, there were a couple of deal breakers for me. 1) The - I-5 does not support word -wrap when viewing web pages, 2) does not offer swype text messages, 3) doesn't support flash and lastly, it may sound strange, but the speaker hurt my ear when talking on the phone - almost as if it was creating to much air pressure..

The biggest positive for the I-5 was the sound from the external speaker - sounded very Good!

So, yesterday I took the I-5 back and picked up an HTC DNA instead. My biggest initial concern with the DNA was the battery life, but it surprised me and lasted all day on light-moderate use. Very happy about that. The thinness of the DNA also makes it very easy to carry in your pocket. I had several of my friends try it in their pockets and they all couldn't believe how it seemed to disappear. The styling on the DNA is also much more inspired and creates an phone that seems like its made for entertainment.

IMO, the DNA wins!
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    330 Global Posts

My best friend was finally considering making the move from iphone to android. He has a 5 and was looking at the note2 but decided it was too big. He found the DNA and loved it. I showed him this thread and it pretty much sealed the deal for him (seeing other people in the same boat can help). He is going tomorrow to get the DNA. Great phone, great forums!
    Thanked by:

I've wanted the DNA since before it launched and I'm still waiting to get mine. My local Verizon store has had it on ordered since last Monday.