1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Anyone else losing sound depending on how they are holding their phone?

So.....I have found out that when I hold the phone between my shoulder and ear, or any other position aside from straight up against my face, the caller that I am on the phone with cannot hear me. It's as if I have hit the mute button.

Of course, I have made sure that I am not hitting the mute button, or any other button for that matter. When they say cannot hear me, I hold the phone against my face with my hand, and they can hear me again. WTH???

Also, I can hear the caller at all times - it is only the microphone picking up my voice that seems to stop working if it is not held against my face.

What in the world could I be doing? Is there a way to turn up the microphone on the phone? Would that even help?

Thanks so much in advance!

Default Re: Anyone else losing sound depending on how they are holding their phone?

for a experiment there are a few settings under 'sound' you might try changing , First see if you have the 'flip for Speak' set, it might be getting confused on orientation if you are holding it with your shoulder, uncheck it and try some calls.. Then try Pocket mode, depending on how 'covered' the phone feels, it might think it's in your pocket, purse. While none of these should affect what you are saying it would be good to eliminate them as potential problem areas.
    Thanked by:

Default Re: Anyone else losing sound depending on how they are holding their phone?

I have this excat same issue - there's many times where I want both hands freee, so I jam the phone between my left soulder and face - a normal behavior for anyone that's ever talked on a phone. And immediately I cut out (or down in volume significantly). I tried the above suggestions, but I keep the phone on vibrate. Had to change to an audible "profile" before being able to access these settings, but they get grayed out again when phone is on vibrate,

Anyone else have any suggestions? It's pretty annoying, as it seems like a subconscious thing I do very often - to put the phone betwee shoulder and face) - and have to catch myself doing it and then grab the phone while talking and correct myself. The tech I talked to said something about the noise cancelling mics, etc.....but it just doesn't make any sense.
    Thanked by:

my phone does the EXACT same thing. I assume it's because of the noise cancelling mic on the top of the phone next to the headphone jack. BTW which case are you using on yours? I'm using the soft gel-like one that Verizon sells. Maybe that has something to do with it.
    Thanked by:

Anyone else having this problem? Found a solution? Considering returning the DNA today and this is one of the reasons why

The person I talked with on the phone today wondered if I was on a headset. And several times said, 'What?', 'Huh?' I could hear her perfectly fine, but she obviously things were not coming through quite as clear to her!
    Thanked by:

I've been having people on the other end telling me they couldn't heard me very well. I have a Diztronic case on. Not sure if it's interfering with the mics.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    341 Global Posts

Just got my phone today and noticed the same thing. I believe the proximity sensor isn't working properly and the side of my face is hitting the mute button on and off. If I hold the phone against my ear and away from my mouth the person on the other end says there is feedback but at least they can hear me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:

so weird that so many of you are having issues.. people are telling me it sounds like I'm talking on a land line?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by: