GPS agreement box keeps popping up. Why?

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I keep having the GPS agreement message box (the one that pops up when you select GPS under location settings) appear while I am using the phone to play games, browse internet or even read on kindle app and I have no idea what I am doing to cause it. Popped up at least once when I was not even touching the screen. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks for any input.

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
But it happens when I play words with friends or other games, am reading this forum or news sites. None of the things I am doing requries gps and I have not accidentally hit an add when this happens that I can recall. I captured a bunch of screen shots of this happening and can see nothing requiring gps.

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I went through all of the permissions for all of the apps I have been using when this has happened and none of them specify they use location services except for google/internet. On my Incredible I would accidentally hit the search key all the time and search would come up. This is similar, but do not know what I am doing to make the gps box appear.

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I cannot tell you what it is, but I can tell you the solution. Enable all three and it will stop

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
then a backgroud app is using it. Maps, facebook, it could be anything.

Facebook and other social media app preinstalled on phone are disabled. Guess maps could be doing it, but timing seems off. I disabled "location picker" and will see it this helps. Really appreciate your input!

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
No problems, wish I could help you narrow it down more but I have no idea what the frequency any app asks for the permissions. I just let them run full on.

Sent from my X-Band Modem... TY Genesis

anon(94115)

Banned
Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I just looked at my phone and Google services uses location as well and that could be a few different apps...Google now (search) could be checking in as well

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
There must be another answer, There is no reason to keep you GPS on, I only turn it on when Using maps/Nav and don't see any recurring prompts.
You'd want to keep it off as part of power management, no need to keep the GPS polling when your indoors. I keep vZ location services and Google checked only.
There is something definitely running that's prompting you, it isn't google + since i use it regularly . There are some apps I have To track Hikes etc, and they will prompt
but only when I start them.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
There must be another answer, There is no reason to keep you GPS on,...

This is not true actually, for the most part anyway. There is no real reason to keep GPS OFF honesty. Having it "on" only makes it available for apps when they need it. If you don't want apps using it, disable it within the apps or don't use those apps. Turning GPS off - in and of itself - saves no battery at all .. Apps actually USING GPS is what uses the battery ...

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
This is not true actually, for the most part anyway. There is no real reason to keep GPS OFF honesty. Having it "on" only makes it available for apps when they need it. If you don't want apps using it, disable it within the apps or don't use those apps. Turning GPS off - in and of itself - saves no battery at all .. Apps actually USING GPS is what uses the battery ...

The location services work fine without GPS and if you think your phone isn't polling for satellites when indoors burning cp cycles I gotta bridge for ya.

dsignori

Jun 25, 2010
Visit site
The location services work fine without GPS and if you think your phone isn't polling for satellites when indoors burning cp cycles I gotta bridge for ya.

No need to be rude here. I don't think we are actually disagreeing. This isn't a battery life issue, and mine polls GPS indoors without issue or popups.

That said, none of this is helping the OP. He is asking why he keeps getting agreement popups. I haven't seen that, nor heard of that happening before, sorry. The only thing I can think of is to go in under "Settings", "Accounts and Sync", "Google" and check the "Search" and the "Location" areas to see what you have set. Also, other accounts may be trying to ascertain your location - ones not related to Google.

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I disabled "location picker" and have not noticed the pop ups since. Prior to that I had turned off permissions for location in most apps without any difference. Not sure what location picker is, or if I need it, but if keeping it disabled works to stop the gps screen from showing up randomly, disabled it will likely stay. Does anyone think leaving this disabled will hurt funtionality of phone much?

Many thanks to all for the input.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech