Help! DNA vs Maxx HD vs Galaxy SIII

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site
If you want battery get the Maxx.

If you want sd/removable battery and arguably best Dev support, get the s3.

If you want the best devise in every other manor, get the dna.

When you boil it down, it's really that simple.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW

AustinTech

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
A removable battery means you pop it in and get about your business instead of plugging in a device in and waiting hours for the charge. I can't bothered with that as I'm in and out of meetings and airports.

And no removable storage means those videos you want to watch better fit in the on board storage. 1080p video takes up a lot of space.

Very few apps and media will even use the 1080p unless you load them.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Android Central Forums

12stockcj

Sep 24, 2011
Visit site
The battery life on the DNA has been surprisingly good for me. I get through the day easily. This phone looses no battery while sleeping. I wake up in the morning without charging it and and the battery has drained between 5-7%.

Charisma#WN

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
OTG cable for 5 bucks and any flash drive solves your issue. I have already watched 1080p video off a usb flash drive. very nice and convenient. the cable is 3 inches long btw and easy to get on ebay. I would rather do that any use most any usb device than have a chip socket in the phone. battery issue is not much for me, but agree that some like you need more. You could just get one of the portable chargers with battery and run off that in the few occasions you are low. No need to recharge the battery.

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Had an opportunity to go to a mall and play with the devices; long story short I just can't stop picking up the DNA. No matter how many times I try to convince myself I want the maxx battery life and storage I just keep going back to the dna for looks and feel. So here's my thought process (that means I'm inviting critique and input) . .

I don't do alot of games, music, movies, etc . . that's what my tablet is for, so I think I'm ok with the 16 (11) gb of storage.

Enough people have said they get a full day out of the device with what seems to be usage comparable to me; phone, text, email, weather, occasional mapping, does not seem like I'll have alot of screen on time so the battery should be ok for me (crosses fingers . . and thanks to the guy/gal who reminded me that who spends 4-6 hours a day looking at their phone, that made alot of sense to me).

Speaking of Sense I've heard so much negative about it that I was prepared to hate it, but in whatever time I could spend on the device in the store I kinda liked it, or at least I don't remember a time that I disliked it.

The rubber flap on the usb port? Goodness people, get over it . . Is it really so hard/inconvenient to open and close the flap once a day? Same with the power/sleep button on top; I understand that some people may need one-hand operation, but really is it so hard to grip it with one hand and turn it off with the other the few times a day you need to do that (if at all)? Well, I shouldn't be snarky about others' opinions as they are valid for them but I'm guessing these two cons are not an issue for me.

And as I said, for me and my taste I just think it is the neatest looking phone and just feels like it was made for my hand.

So that leads me to this (if you're still with me). . . given all I've already mentioned, is there anything you think I may have missed? Something you've come across that it seems I haven't thought about? An issue I haven't addressed? I'm trying to prevent the after-purchase experience of "O crap, I didn't know about that" . . . so if you feel led to comment in any way, pro or con, please feel free to speak up .. Thanks a bunch! =)

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Have you thought about accessories at all? If you are a case person, the pickings are very slip. If you prefer to go naked, you won't be missing out...

Zteve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Mellimel22

Banned
Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
No different than any device away from a charger. When a battery dies, it doesn't matter if it's removable or not. Sure, you can change batteries, but so what? That no different than carrying a power pack that can be used to charge a variety of devices. You also don't have to buy a power pack every time you buy a new device.

Steve

Lol it takes 5 seconds to put a FRESH battery in lol

Sent from my Sprint Galaxy Nexus Rockin 4.1.2 using Tapatalk 2

revtech

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
Have you thought about accessories at all? If you are a case person, the pickings are very slip. If you prefer to go naked, you won't be missing out...

Yeah planning on the diztronic; with the way people praise it maybe it should be called jiztronic =)

Greg Rosenheck

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Help! DNA vs Maxx HD vs Galaxy S3

I am the owner of the Razr Maxx, Samsung Galaxy s3 and now the Droid DNA. All of these phones have strength and weakness. in all areas.

Razr Maxx
Pro's Built Well and Very Long Battery, sound and call quality awesome !
Con slow software Camera is not good, and for me you have to pull the phone away from your ear to change the volume while on a call.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Pro's Super fast response, Best Camera for photo's and video Nice screen.

Cons in call sound quality in all eq modes for me were not good, Bad reception, and it was built cheaply Mine chiped the 1st week.

Droid DNA

Pro's Nice screen, good in call quality, Fast, Camera although not as good as Samsung is good You can tweak it. Reception is good to.Built good.

Con's Not all apps are compatible, Video camera keeps re focusing in lower light. For me sometimes screen freezes but most of the time not. no sd card not really an issue I have 276 photo's and a few video's out of 16 gig I have 8 left plus I have 20 games.

Even though the droid DNA has the fastest hardware I feel the Samsung Galaxy is the smoothest. But I like the screen of the DNA. The DNA came out and I still have my old phones as back up and I can go back to them anytime. I choose to stay with the DNA. I like the way it's built, the sound quality is great the reception is good, it's fast , The camera is good, I wish it had image stablication yet the shot's are very quick so my pics are coming out ok. Most Most of the time I use these phones without flash because of the white eye thing. For me I'd go with the DNA.

- - - Updated - - -

I am the owner of the Razr Maxx, Samsung Galaxy s3 and now the Droid DNA. All of these phones have strength and weakness. in all areas.

Razr Maxx
Pro's Built Well and Very Long Battery, sound and call quality awesome !
Con slow software Camera is not good, and for me you have to pull the phone away from your ear to change the volume while on a call.

Samsung Galaxy S3

Pro's Super fast response, Best Camera for photo's and video Nice screen.

Cons in call sound quality in all eq modes for me were not good, Bad reception, and it was built cheaply Mine chiped the 1st week.

Droid DNA

Pro's Nice screen, good in call quality, Fast, Camera although not as good as Samsung is good You can tweak it. Reception is good to.Built good.

Con's Not all apps are compatible, Video camera keeps re focusing in lower light. For me sometimes screen freezes but most of the time not. no sd card not really an issue I have 276 photo's and a few video's out of 16 gig I have 8 left plus I have 20 games.

Even though the droid DNA has the fastest hardware I feel the Samsung Galaxy is the smoothest. But I like the screen of the DNA. The DNA came out and I still have my old phones as back up and I can go back to them anytime. I choose to stay with the DNA. I like the way it's built, the sound quality is great the reception is good, it's fast , The camera is good, I wish it had image stablication yet the shot's are very quick so my pics are coming out ok. Most Most of the time I use these phones without flash because of the white eye thing. For me I'd go with the DNA.

Greg Rosenheck

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
Had an opportunity to go to a mall and play with the devices; long story short I just can't stop picking up the DNA. No matter how many times I try to convince myself I want the maxx battery life and storage I just keep going back to the dna for looks and feel. So here's my thought process (that means I'm inviting critique and input) . .

I don't do alot of games, music, movies, etc . . that's what my tablet is for, so I think I'm ok with the 16 (11) gb of storage.

Enough people have said they get a full day out of the device with what seems to be usage comparable to me; phone, text, email, weather, occasional mapping, does not seem like I'll have alot of screen on time so the battery should be ok for me (crosses fingers . . and thanks to the guy/gal who reminded me that who spends 4-6 hours a day looking at their phone, that made alot of sense to me).

Speaking of Sense I've heard so much negative about it that I was prepared to hate it, but in whatever time I could spend on the device in the store I kinda liked it, or at least I don't remember a time that I disliked it.

The rubber flap on the usb port? Goodness people, get over it . . Is it really so hard/inconvenient to open and close the flap once a day? Same with the power/sleep button on top; I understand that some people may need one-hand operation, but really is it so hard to grip it with one hand and turn it off with the other the few times a day you need to do that (if at all)? Well, I shouldn't be snarky about others' opinions as they are valid for them but I'm guessing these two cons are not an issue for me.

And as I said, for me and my taste I just think it is the neatest looking phone and just feels like it was made for my hand.

So that leads me to this (if you're still with me). . . given all I've already mentioned, is there anything you think I may have missed? Something you've come across that it seems I haven't thought about? An issue I haven't addressed? I'm trying to prevent the after-purchase experience of "O crap, I didn't know about that" . . . so if you feel led to comment in any way, pro or con, please feel free to speak up .. Thanks a bunch! =)

My rubber flap that goes over the usb port broke guess what I'm happy

fco2013

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site

Hey guys, thanks for all of the replies. Wow, I didn't think the topic would take off like this!

After much thought, and going and playing with the phones, I went with the DNA. The screen is just magnificent, and the monster specs don't hurt either. This will keep my phone chugging for a long time. Thanks for all the help everyone!

Ed Penney

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site

I wonder if there?s a way to determine what carrier provides the most timely and consistent updates? AT&T seems to do a lot of updates, which keeps them relevant while building its 4GLTE network. I've got it here in New York and it helps my graphics design work tremendously when it comes to sending large files.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I wonder if there?s a way to determine what carrier provides the most timely and consistent updates? AT&T seems to do a lot of updates, which keeps them relevant while building its 4GLTE network. I've got it here in New York and it helps my graphics design work tremendously when it comes to sending large files.

I'm sure someone is keeping the metric. I would take it for a grain of salt if it doesn't include the type of upgrade. A maintenance release for the carrier framework isn't the same as an Android update. I'd also include radio updates in that as different.

Steve

nDroid3

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I owned the DNA for about 3 weeks and switched to the GS3...although I like the gs3 user features and the fact that I'm a big samsung loyalist, I want to go back to the DNA. After the gS3 went to jellybean the battery has fell off significantly. My DNA lasted me the whole work day and a simple over night charge would do the trick. My gs3 last me half the day and it takes forever to charge. So with that said, ill probably be selling my samsung and heading back to DNA

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

JFGOODYSR

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site

I need a phone, and have to pay full price to keep unlimited data, so this is a huge decision. I'm also down to these 3. I read that the screen of the DNA gobbles battery to produce 1080p. My son's S3 is nice, but the UI seems hard to use to me. I love my RAZR, and might get the RAZR MAXX HD. I'm a huge Motorola fanboy, and the battery life is awesome, but Motorola's lack of timely updates (and those are full of bugs) really gets under my skin! My RAZR is practically idiot proof, but I am also interested in quad-core vs dual-core. HELP!!

Njshoregurl

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Att.. I can't get the HTC DNA... Only the note or note 2. If you get the SG, is probably what I would pick one the note.... You may be getting a phone that fixs all possible needs. The plastic is not an issue...I dress up with cases anyways lol
Good luck.I can't wait till $$$ rolls in cause I'm so finished w the ip4s.
I get home and whip ought the nexus 7 and love slide it keyboard.I find myself trying to door and can't ugh.
I remember seeing the thunderbolt when my friend went to verizon to grab a new phone. That was a beautiful phone.Att needs some better phones.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

Don't believe everything you hear because battery life on the DNA is great & I'm pretty sure that shocked every DNA owner. I know I was shocked how long the battery lasted

nDroid3

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site

Don't believe everything you hear because battery life on the DNA is great & I'm pretty sure that shocked every DNA owner. I know I was shocked how long the battery lasted

+1 on this. My battery has never let me down. I would take this phone over the SG3 any day...which I in fact did. I don't use it any more differently that I did my SG3, but my DNA just last the whole work day for me.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I need a phone, and have to pay full price to keep unlimited data, so this is a huge decision. I'm also down to these 3. I read that the screen of the DNA gobbles battery to produce 1080p. My son's S3 is nice, but the UI seems hard to use to me. I love my RAZR, and might get the RAZR MAXX HD. I'm a huge Motorola fanboy, and the battery life is awesome, but Motorola's lack of timely updates (and those are full of bugs) really gets under my skin! My RAZR is practically idiot proof, but I am also interested in quad-core vs dual-core. HELP!!

If you like your RAZR and prefer Motorola devices, it is a no brainer, get an iPhone 3GS. J/K, I'd stock with RAZR Maxx HD, you can't go wrong.

Steve

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finsrepair