Wi-Fi issues

SphincterBoy

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I'm quite happy with my DNA, but I find that the Wi-Fi connection regularly drops and reconnects. I'm not having issues with any other wireless devices and confirmed the problem by placing the DNA side-by-side with my old HTC One S, which never disconnected while the DNA did so every few minutes.

Is anyone else having this problem?

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
There is something going on, while streaming I've heard 'gaps' that I've attributed to the wifi.. it's not my server since I'm streaming the same to two devices (both dna)

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I am also having this problem. Have messed around with all the wifi settings I can find and nothing seems to make it better. It is really getting annoying. Not my router as nothing else in house except DNA is doing this. This was discussed briefly on another forum, but no effective solutions were ever forthcoming. Anyone have any other ideas.

SphincterBoy

May 11, 2010
Visit site
There is something going on, while streaming I've heard 'gaps' that I've attributed to the wifi.. it's not my server since I'm streaming the same to two devices (both dna)

Do both DNAs have the problem or just one? If just one it's probably worth exchanging the problem unit.

Also, 113 people have viewed the thread, but only 3 of us appear to be having the problem. Hopefully that's a good sign it's not a widespread problem.

Royal1k

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Same issue here and it's definitely the wifi. Seems to disconnect and reconnect, switching back and forth from wifi to 4g, regardless of signal strength. I haven't taken the device in to Verizon for replacement, but at this point looks to be the only option.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
There are a bunch of folks over at XDA that have seen this, I am trying some experiments, My routers are dual band, 2.4ghz/5ghz. There is definitely a bug cuz if I select one band (instead of auto) on the DNA it won't connect properly (regardless of the band). So last night I've disabled the 5ghz band and will run for a few days that way, I was also able to set the DNA to single band 2.4ghz and connect fine (Auto worked also but it appears if there are competing bands it does something odd to the DNA). Also I'm seeing if this has to do with multi bands, many people probably don't have this feature.

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
There are a bunch of folks over at XDA that have seen this, I am trying some experiments
I had been following the discussion there as well. Many thanks for looking into this further! I am surprised there are not more people noticing this issue. I am out of ideas on this one. Hopefully there is a solution somewhere.

Royal1k

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
There are a bunch of folks over at XDA that have seen this, I am trying some experiments, My routers are dual band, 2.4ghz/5ghz. There is definitely a bug cuz if I select one band (instead of auto) on the DNA it won't connect properly (regardless of the band). So last night I've disabled the 5ghz band and will run for a few days that way, I was also able to set the DNA to single band 2.4ghz and connect fine (Auto worked also but it appears if there are competing bands it does something odd to the DNA). Also I'm seeing if this has to do with multi bands, many people probably don't have this feature.

Thanks for your diligence on this issue. It's pretty maddening to say the least, so it's nice to have people in the community that will tackle the issues. Does it seem like more of a hardware or a software issues. Other things I've read mention the OneX having some similar issues early on.

SphincterBoy

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I have a dual band router as well, however when I learned my wife was having similar problems with her iPhone I began to suspect the router. A quick reboot of the router appears to have solved the problem.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Quick Update, Several People had success resolving this issue with the following technique. I haven't tried this yet since I'm testing some other ideas.
You will basically dis-associate your connection and renew it. This deletes the entry in the wifi config file and will re build the file. I guess there is some question of it getting some form of corruption. From Settings, select Wifi... Long press your connection, then re-add.
Let us know how this works.

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
[
- - - Updated - - -

Quick Update, Several People had success resolving this issue with the following technique. I haven't tried this yet since I'm testing some other ideas.
You will basically dis-associate your connection and renew it. This deletes the entry in the wifi config file and will re build the file. I guess there is some question of it getting some form of corruption. From Settings, select Wifi... Long press your connection, then re-add.
Let us know how this works.

I have tried this twice since it was posted in the thread at xda. The first time it seemed like it would work, but issue recurred about
6hrs later. No change noticed at all the second time. Even though I have checked my router vs other devices, I am going to turn it off and on again today and see if it helps.

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Still having issue even after forgetting the wifi network again and rebooting my router again. Only took an hour to recurr this time though it seems like the reconnection is happening quicker now (maybe 1-2 sec rather than 4-5 sec).

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Still having issues as well, I ran sole 2.4 ghz, tried the forget Connection, i didn't delete all connections, I might try that. We're seeing this on both mine and wifes DNA Was a real pain listening to Slacker Christmas music, I also noticed the Streaming Stopped when the screen timed out, I set the timeout to never and while I still got disconnects it wasn't as often.. weird

fidlerja1

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I am having the same problem. I the WiFi will appear to be on, and then it will disconnect for a second, which stops it from working properly at all until I restart the phone. It appears to be a much more widespread problem. Here are some other forums that are discussing the same thing:

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/788277

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/788664

https://community.verizonwireless.com/thread/789402

I have tried most fixes that have been provided, but nothing. I contacted HTC's support, who told me to consult the instruction manual.

Many of you are probably aware that there was a similar problem with the HTC One X back in June:
HTC Acknowledges One X WiFi bug on Tegra 3 models

Hopefully HTC issues a fix or something. Otherwise I'm turning this phone in.

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
This is not sounding too good. Is there anyway to expedite htc doing something about this since it is so similar to the One X issues reported? I have already let them know this issue via customer support, but really got no where with it, ie, their suggestions for static ip did not help either. I have new phone coming tomorrow because I lost wireless charging capibilty. Will be interesting to see if new phone has same issue, though it sounds like other people have noticed same thing on new devices. Really surprised there is not more discussion on this issue here or at xda.

fidlerja1

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
It's too early to know for sure, but I think I may have just found a fix! (I really hope I don't jinx myself...)

When I deactivated my old Droid and activated the DNA, all the WiFi connections that I had ever used on my old Droid were automatically transferred into the DNA, so when I was looking at the list of WiFi connections there about 30 or so I could choose from, ranging from old subway WiFis to restaurants to my friends' houses. Last night I went through and manually "forgot" each of the ones that I had used on the old phone, leaving basically my home and work WiFis as the only ones appearing as options. After doing so I was able to connect to my home WiFi just fine, and I didn't lose the connection for hours (before applying this "fix", I would lose it every few minutes or so). I kept my WiFi on last night while I was sleeping, and it appears that I didn't lose the connection once.

Again, it's too early to tell if this really fixed the problem for me; I'm interested to see what happens when I try the WiFi tonight when I get home from work, but I am taking it as a positive sign.

Let me know if this works for anyone else!

tuxly

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
My DNA was really the first phone I ever really used wifi with. Also, 1st 4g sim card. I had to set it all up from scratch so there were no old wifi settings in place. Interestingly, I am now having to forget and then reconnect to my home wifi every time I come home to get a connection at all, even one that constantly disconnects. I have a new phone coming and hope it will be better. Will forget every network that shows in my list before transferring sim card to new phone and see how it goes.

Royal1k

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
It's too early to know for sure, but I think I may have just found a fix! (I really hope I don't jinx myself...)

When I deactivated my old Droid and activated the DNA, all the WiFi connections that I had ever used on my old Droid were automatically transferred into the DNA, so when I was looking at the list of WiFi connections there about 30 or so I could choose from, ranging from old subway WiFis to restaurants to my friends' houses. Last night I went through and manually "forgot" each of the ones that I had used on the old phone, leaving basically my home and work WiFis as the only ones appearing as options. After doing so I was able to connect to my home WiFi just fine, and I didn't lose the connection for hours (before applying this "fix", I would lose it every few minutes or so). I kept my WiFi on last night while I was sleeping, and it appears that I didn't lose the connection once.

Again, it's too early to tell if this really fixed the problem for me; I'm interested to see what happens when I try the WiFi tonight when I get home from work, but I am taking it as a positive sign.

Let me know if this works for anyone else!

I agree. Seems to have something to do with the WiFi connections that were restored in my Google Accounts. There may also be an issue with the type of Security key the wifi routers are using. Will have to test some setting other than TKIP security on the router.

ncbryan

Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I just purchased my DNA this morning and I setup the wifi here at the office. Connected ok and remained connected best I could tell while I was in the office. Went to lunch and came back and looked at my phone and it didn't connect to the wifi automatically like it should have when I returned from lunch. Turend the wifi off and then back on and it still did NOT connect. I forgot the connection and readded it and it connected again. Something is definitely going on with the wifi on this phone. Hopefully it will be corrected soon.

On a similar note, the notification icon at the top of the phone will NOT go away unless the phone is connected to a wifi network OR if I turn off wifi. I have turned off the "Notify Me" and it is still there. Is there a way to get rid of this notification? Annoying to say the least.

Bryan

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Mine doesn't disconnect when actively in use. However if the phone is asleep for a little bit it will disconnect. Even though I set it to never disconnect. I too have a dual band router, as a couple other posters have mentioned. The problem isn't annoying for me yet because like I said it doesn't disconnect while in use.

Also to ncbryan you can get rid of the notification by long pressing it, going to settings and force stopping it. It's only a temp fix though. It comes back if you restart your phone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akbarramadhani12