Considering the Droid DNA--is there anything I should know about? How's the camera?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems like in terms of specs, this blows most smartphones out of the water, and it's only $149 on Amazon. I was just curious if there any major concerns I should know about? I'm particularly drawn the f/2.0 aperture and 28mm lens, but is there a visible difference in quality compared to other 8MP phones (e.g. Samsung SIII, iPhone 4S)?

If I don't have tethering on my plan, will any mobile hotspot app work with this phone? I've read that Foxfi doesn't work, but have any of you had success with others? I have a wifi-only Nexus 7, and it'd be nice to have the option to tether. Thanks!

8100User

Nov 30, 2012
Visit site
It seems like in terms of specs, this blows most smartphones out of the water, and it's only $149 on Amazon. I was just curious if there any major concerns I should know about? I'm particularly drawn the f/2.0 aperture and 28mm lens, but is there a visible difference in quality compared to other 8MP phones (e.g. Samsung SIII, iPhone 4S)?

I'm loving the DNA, and as for photos, here are a few I took last week at the L.A. Auto Show.

For a cell phone camera, I think they turned out well, but of course, opinions vary, and different lighting conditions will produce different results.

2012-12-08+19.22.33.jpg

2012-12-08+18.36.49.jpg

2012-12-08+18.35.32.jpg

2012-12-08+19.22.58.jpg

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the great pics! I'm pretty much sold on this phone. The lack of microSD card isn't great, but I can live with that. I was considering the Rezound as it's only $.01 on Amazon, but I figure a phone is a 2-year investment so I might as well go for the best specs.

Is it easy to tether without paying extra for that capability?

yankeesusa

Aug 7, 2010
Visit site
I tried dna and although I love my note 2 I probably would have given this phone a chance if it came to sprint. I love htc sense. The camera as you can see by the pictures that someone posted is great. The camera on the one x was great and ever since that htc has had some great cameras. I think your biggest dilemma with the dna is if to keep unlimited or not, but if you don't use more than 2gb a month then $150 is a great price. The other dilemma you'll have is, do you cover this sleek and sexy phone with a case or let it go bare. All I can say this phone is really nice when you hold it. I wish Samsung had same quality on their manufacturing.

Sent from the Beast that is Galaxy Note 2

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
The camera has some issues with low light indoor pic taking, Since the flash isn't on when focusing there can be issues getting the auto ISO to work properly. I've stuggled with this and someone had suggested setting iso 200 / fourecent / and max exposure these settings seem to give me consistently cleaner pics.. . but I have to make those settings each time,, be nice if there were some 'profiles' for the camera setting.

Sooks

Nov 3, 2009
Visit site
I really enjoy this phone as well. I left my iPhone 5 for it and the one thing that scared me when I did that.... picture quality. But i was very pleasantly surprised when I started shooting away and everything looks great! As mentioned the low light (very low light) stuff is decent, but anything with a glow of light and above looks awesome!

Here is a random picture from Chili Dog Day at work lol :

IMAG0021.jpg
[/IMG]

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Went ahead and ordered this online--seems to be the best Verizon option out there for the price atm; got it thru Verizon since I didn't want to wait 2 months from Amazon. Just curious, did anyone have any luck trying to waive the $30 upgrade fee? People keep telling me it's a cinch to waive, but I talked to 2 CS reps who were adamant on their position.

I've seen some traumatizing pics of this phone's screen getting smashed to bits--do you guys go case-less? If not, do you use a simple TPU case or something more rugged?

Will I survive with 2GB/month data and only 11GB storage on this phone? I'm a little miffed by the lack of microSD (which the Japanese version has); everyone's response is basically "pshht just move everything to the cloud, it's the future anyway". But with 2GB data, I don't think I'd survive having to access most of my pics/clips/articles/music/etc on the cloud.

Last edited:

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
No, we're on some ancient family plan where each line is only $10/month, and text/talk is like $70/month. Data isn't shared, so it's $30+ per phone, but only my sibling and I are interest so it's better this way. Didn't look too closely at the options, but I think I'd have to spend at least $60 on data for my phone alone in order to get tethering.

I really hope there's some sort of workaround; I hear JB/Verizon doesn't play well with tethering apps, despite the recent FCC ruling that Verizon can't charge for it.

Will you be changing to the new shared plan to get the price? If so, I am pretty sure that tethering is included.

Who?

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
What's with the two month Amazon thing? I've seen that in various forums. Why not go down to Best Buy with the Amazon price page printed out and have them price match, instead of setting $50 on fire?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
It's available at Target, I'm just heading there. It's backordered on Amazon and wouldn't be available until early Feb. Droid DNA is an online-only phone, and they don't price-match online mobile device purchases--I could try shipping it to the store and dealing with the manager there, but Target saves me that trip.

What's with the two month Amazon thing? I've seen that in various forums. Why not go down to Best Buy with the Amazon price page printed out and have them price match, instead of setting $50 on fire?