Headphone jack hiss?

willie346

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
Just got my new DNA last night and started using the headphone jack today.
I noticed an audible hiss when playing music that has quieter sections (classical music for example).
When I pause the music the hissing stops.

This is a system-wide issue. Not only does it occur in the music app but also YouTube, Pandora, and the like. Listening to speech off a video on YouTube produces hiss that stops and starts with the speech, very annoying. When no sound is played, the hissing stops and it is dead silent. I think this is more of a software issue becadue enabling beats audio seems to amplify the hissing. Anybody else have the same problem? Should I exchange the phone?

Thanks in advance,
Will

Jdyount

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
This is a combination of things.

Beats audio. Beats has nothing to do with hardware, it is simply a single setting eq. From what I can tell, it increases the frequency strength across all ranges. Sure it makes the music louder, but that not always a good thing.

Junk in, junk out. Anything posted on YouTube is low quality sound (as is true with most digitally downloaded content). Having Beats activated will make those low quality recordings sound SO much worse.

With cheap head phones, elevated sound levels will result in overdriving and bandwidth distortion as well as dynamic distortion. With a good set of cans, the dynamic distortion will be obvious.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463