Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Can't play music through Blu Ray player

Hi. I can't seem to play music by connecting my Droid DNA to my Sony Blu Ray player. A little background. On my last phone, the Incredible 2, I transferred music to the phone as follows: I connected the Incredible 2 to my computer via USB cable, dragged the music from the C drive of my PC to either the F or G drive on the computer. (The F or G drive was either the phone, or the phone's SD card.) After the music was transferred to the phone (or the SD card), I would then connect the phone to the Sony Blu Ray player with a USB connection. Then, through the Blu Ray remote, I could access the folders on the phone to which I had transferred the music. I could then play the music stored on my phone through the Blu Ray player.

Now....with the Droid DNA. When I connect the DNA to my computer via USB connection, it doesn't show any F or G drive under "My Computer" on my PC. (I guess because there is no SD card on the Droid?) Instead, the phone appears under "My Computer" as HTC1234LVM. The subfolder within that is "Internal Storage." All the usual subfolders are within "Internal Storage"--the DCIM folder for photos, the amazonmp3 folder, etc. I am easily able to transfer music from my PC to one of these subfolders, and all of the songs are playable on my phone. However, when I connect my DNA to the Blu Ray player with a USB connection, the music folders that I attempt to access with the remote for my Blu Ray player are empty. The only thing that I can access are the photos in the DCIM folder.

Does anyone know why I can view the photos in my phone's DCIM folder on my TV through the Blu Ray player, but I can't access my music by connecting my phone to the Blu Ray player?

(Please note that I don't have a computer or wireless capabilities at home. I was able to play music through my Blue Ray player through my Incredible 2 without the latter, and would like to do the same with the DNA. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.)

Default Re: Can't play music through Blu Ray player

Quote Originally Posted by PaulyU View Post
    Hi. I can't seem to play music by connecting my Droid DNA to my Sony Blu Ray player. A little background. On my last phone, the Incredible 2, I transferred music to the phone as follows: I connected the Incredible 2 to my computer via USB cable, dragged the music from the C drive of my PC to either the F or G drive on the computer. (The F or G drive was either the phone, or the phone's SD card.) After the music was transferred to the phone (or the SD card), I would then connect the phone to the Sony Blu Ray player with a USB connection. Then, through the Blu Ray remote, I could access the folders on the phone to which I had transferred the music. I could then play the music stored on my phone through the Blu Ray player.

Now....with the Droid DNA. When I connect the DNA to my computer via USB connection, it doesn't show any F or G drive under "My Computer" on my PC. (I guess because there is no SD card on the Droid?) Instead, the phone appears under "My Computer" as HTC1234LVM. The subfolder within that is "Internal Storage." All the usual subfolders are within "Internal Storage"--the DCIM folder for photos, the amazonmp3 folder, etc. I am easily able to transfer music from my PC to one of these subfolders, and all of the songs are playable on my phone. However, when I connect my DNA to the Blu Ray player with a USB connection, the music folders that I attempt to access with the remote for my Blu Ray player are empty. The only thing that I can access are the photos in the DCIM folder.

Does anyone know why I can view the photos in my phone's DCIM folder on my TV through the Blu Ray player, but I can't access my music by connecting my phone to the Blu Ray player?

(Please note that I don't have a computer or wireless capabilities at home. I was able to play music through my Blue Ray player through my Incredible 2 without the latter, and would like to do the same with the DNA. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.)
    How did you transfer your music? If you used HTC Sync Manager, you music, your music will be placed in Internal storage->mobile-..., which makes it inaccessible to your blu ray player.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Thanks for the response, Bellken. No, I did not use HTC Sync Manager. I just copied and pasted the music from the C drive of my PC into the Internal Storage area of my phone. The Internal Storage is the only place that I was able to copy the music to, because no other folders appeared under My Computer when I connected the phone to my PC.

Are you saying that anything in Internal Storage will be inaccessible to the blu ray player? If that's the case, is there any folder or drive in my phone where I can transfer the music, so that it WILL be accessible to the blu ray player?

My music is placed in an open folder and is accessible just like my photos from the Internal Storage drive when plugged in to USB:

I do not use HTC Sync. No need for it really....
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Thanks, Sch 911. I was able to transfer my music to the same Music folder in Internal Storage. Just seems that the Blu Ray player isn't able to read the contents of any folders in Internal Storage when the phone is connected to the blu ray player via USB. Had no such problem with my previous phone! Frustrating.

There maybe a good change your BRPlayer doesn't support the DNA usb drivers and as such won't connect, with previous phone the SD card worked as 'mass storage' and behaves a bit differently. If your BRplayer is DNLA capable you might be able to leverage that node. Is your BRPlayer wireless capable, you could use the DNA hotspot to create your own wireless network (so you do have wireless at home now ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by PaulyU View Post
    Thanks for the response, Bellken. No, I did not use HTC Sync Manager. I just copied and pasted the music from the C drive of my PC into the Internal Storage area of my phone. The Internal Storage is the only place that I was able to copy the music to, because no other folders appeared under My Computer when I connected the phone to my PC.

Are you saying that anything in Internal Storage will be inaccessible to the blu ray player? If that's the case, is there any folder or drive in my phone where I can transfer the music, so that it WILL be accessible to the blu ray player?
    It was a shot in the dark, the fact that you can access pictures, but, not your music, made me think it was a path problem (i.e. could not find music because the music was not where it was expected)
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by jamdmyers View Post
    There maybe a good change your BRPlayer doesn't support the DNA usb drivers and as such won't connect, with previous phone the SD card worked as 'mass storage' and behaves a bit differently. If your BRplayer is DNLA capable you might be able to leverage that node. Is your BRPlayer wireless capable, you could use the DNA hotspot to create your own wireless network (so you do have wireless at home now ;-)
    Thanks very much. I will explore the DNLA option. Yes, the blu ray player is wireless capable.

Actually, I just talked to Verizon (and the Verizon guy talked to someone from HTC, too). They said that there is something with the drivers on the DNA that aren't accessible by the Sony blu ray player. They recommended an HTC Media Link, but when I told them that I don't have internet service at home, they said this option would not work. Apparently the Mobile Hotspot option would not work, either. Apparently, I need to get internet service at my home in order to play music from my phone through the blu ray player. Disappointing that with this supposed upgrade in technology, that my DNA can't perform a simple function that my Incredible 2 could. Especially disappointing because the blu ray player is only about 2 years old!

Thanks to you all for your comments. If I (or the Verizon people) are missing something obvious, please let me know.