• 1 Post By Chibana
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  
    LCW

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)

Default Lack of Storage

Seriously considering getting the DNA... built in battery doesn't bother me (I've had iphones since 2007), but the low standard storage (16GB only) and no microSD slot are a big concern to me. Could be a deal breaker honestly.

Anyone currently owning a DNA find the lack of storage to be seriously limiting?
    ***SOLD but not forgotten***
    Google Nexus One

Global Posts
    303 Global Posts

Default Re: Lack of Storage

I haven't had any problems. I also don't have a need to carry around my entire music and video collection. My apps only take up like 2 gigs and I have 4 gigs of music. When I do want more with me I just use my thumb drive and OTG cable.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

I can tell you from my personal experience... I moved from a Thunderbolt, which had 16GB internal, and I added a 32GB card.

I kept about eight movies on the memory card, and much of my music collection, along with photos.

Honestly, other then showing someone the Thunderbolt, I can't recall EVER watching a full length movie on my cell phone! I have a tablet, so if my family goes on a trip, I bring the tablet to allow my kids to watch movies on.

I've loaded my DNA with every app that was on my Thunderbolt, which I had used in the previous six months. I also went through my Transformer Prime, and loaded all of the apps from THAT device, which weren't on my Thunderbolt, but which I would use, either regularly or on occassion.

I also loaded about five albums... I don't listen to music all that often, generally only at the gym, for the 20 minutes I'm on the treadmill... and more often then not, I'm listening to talk radio on Sirius.

Checked my remaining memory about four or five days ago, and was surprised to see I have just over 6GB remaining! If I want to load a movie or two, or add more music, I certainly have the room.,

My photos, other then the ones taken with my DNA, are in my DropBox account, and DropSync uploads all new photos to my DropBox automatically.

Bottom line... I haven't had any issues with space, but your situation may be different. You do have until Jan. 15, I believe, to return the DNA if space does prove to be an issue.
    Thanked by:

I'm just worried because of my tiny (2GB) monthly data cap--I'd make sure not to stream music/video unless I'm on wifi, but still. I've truncated my daily music to about 5GB, and I imagine I'd only need another 2-3GB for apps (I don't play enormous games). That still doesn't leave room for much else, and I plan on abusing that 8MP camera.

There are a number of solutions including OTG, Cloud and of course 'native' data management, You can setup Dropbox or Google Drive to only sync on wifi. With a OTG cable you wouldn't walk around with a flash drive plugged in but you could store all your music on it, then move data back and forth easily and it's very portable. One responder noted he hadn't watched much video on his tbolt, and I agree 'older' phones were not as good platforms, but now that we have 1080p in a 5" screen this type of use is much more appealing, for this I use my OTG cable with my movies on a SD card (or flash drive), Search these forums for OTG and you'll see a pic I posted of my setup and what it looks like. I believe the good parts of the phone out weight the small 'method' changes I need to make to manage storage on this device. Good Luck

ROM
    Stock

Or you could just stop buying phones that don't have the features you want. Judging from HTC's slow down, that's what a lot of people are doing.

Sent from the red headed stepchild of the Nexii.
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  
    LCW

Global Posts
    1,183 Global Posts
    ROM
    JB 4.1.1 (JRO03C)

Shouldn't have to jump through hoops to use a phone - that goes for battery saving "tricks" to all these ways to avoid the lack of storage. For me, the decision is clear - the DNA only having 16GB (really only 11GB from the reports with all the preloaded software) is - to me - unacceptable. DNA is off the list. It's a shame - seems like an otherwise stellar performer.
    ***SOLD but not forgotten***
    Google Nexus One
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    6,356 Global Posts
    ROM
    NOS M7 Sense 5.0

I wouldn't say I had to jump through hoops, I just didn't add my movie collection which I never watched anyways so no biggie for me. Only change since I rooted and have a flashing additction so now I can only have to nandroid backups while the rest are stored on dropbox. I have never had to do any tricks for battery life since IMO this phone has all the battery life I need. But I completely understand some people may need more device storage and there are other great devices for you to choose from.
    osubeavs728 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by mclarryjr View Post
    I wouldn't say I had to jump through hoops, I just didn't add my movie collection which I never watched anyways so no biggie for me. Only change since I rooted and have a flashing additction so now I can only have to nandroid backups while the rest are stored on dropbox. I have never had to do any tricks for battery life since IMO this phone has all the battery life I need. But I completely understand some people may need more device storage and there are other great devices for you to choose from.
    agreed, no hoops here. i just pick the phone up and use the damn thing

Global Posts
    669 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    agreed, no hoops here. i just pick the phone up and use the damn thing
    No hoops for me either, and I can't understand why people about a phone they don't want or like. If a removable battery and storage are important to you, you have a lot of choices. Pick one and stop whining about those that don't meet your needs.

We get it, the DNA and Nexus 4 both suck and will never compare to anything made by Samsung.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    osubeavs728 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

We one x+ owners get best of all the words.. 64Gb's of storage quad-core,LTE,etc... Hehe..

It's no mere smartphone, it's the HTC ONE X+.
    /
    D:
    \

Global Posts
    194 Global Posts

The HTC Butterfly (the Japanese version of the DNA) has a micro SD slot. I would venture to guess that Verizon will eventually put out a new version of the DNA with storage expansion capabilities.
    Legalized Drug Dealer

These threads are getting old
    -Matt

HTC DNA
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    121 Global Posts

Kingston wi-drive.

Send from my DNA
    HTC One (Blue)
    HTC One (Silver)
    HTC Droid DNA Employee Edition 00960
    HTC Droid Incredible 4G

Been doing suprising well with limited storage. The only thing I wanted the storage for my music and Google music works just fine with me. Most places have WiFi now use of a cloud shouldn't that mush of an issue.

If a phone did not have expandable storage, I would need at least 32 GB on board for a buffer. I don't have a ton of music on my phone but hover between 10-12 GB.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by SenseMonkey View Post
    We one x+ owners get best of all the words.. 64Gb's of storage quad-core,LTE,etc... Hehe..
    Well, not quite... You have a smaller screen and lower resolution (both total pixels and ppi.)

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Wingznut View Post
    Well, not quite... You have a smaller screen and lower resolution (both total pixels and ppi.)
    It was still one hell of screen lol..

Sent from my behemoth of a phone,the Galaxy Note II
    /
    D:
    \

I'm in the market for a new phone (through work) after January 4. I was concerned about the lack of internal storage in the DNA until I looked at the ThunderBolt I've been using for 1.5 years. With all the games and apps I've installed (many for my kid), I'm using a total of about 8 GB, including what the phone itself is taking up. I'm not worried about it, anymore.

some people actually use their phones internal storage as a mini hard drive for work related purposes so having only 11gb of storage is puny..very..very..puny and pathetic i can fill up that amount of data in mere hours

A phone is bad place to be storing work data. It's against my company's policy (that I wrote) for good reason. Still, to each his own. If you need to store GB of personal data, then this is probably not the phone for you.
    osubeavs728 likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Here's my take... I have both the SGS3 and DNA and I'm having a heck of a time deciding which I want to keep. My S3 is the 32GB variety and packs an extra 32GB SD Card that I have crammed with 11 movies, about 15 gigs of music and 1.7 gigs worth of apps, with tons more space left. Sure it's nice having all that extra space but I have to ask myself, "Do I really need to carry around the bulk of my music and a **** load of movies in my pocket?" I have an 32gb iPad 3 on which I load 3 or 4 movies at a time to watch either while I'm flying for work or on the treadmill. The DNA, because of the "limited space", only has a few music playlists loaded on it, with no movies and I've really slimmed down my app choices and only loaded apps I actually use. (For playing my music while driving I've loaded a 16 gig USB stick with music inserted in my Equinox's USB slot, which works mediocre at best.) I think both phones are awesome and both have their pros and cons. I've got until the 15th to decide if I can live with the DNA's "lack of storage" but absolutely beautiful screen, beautiful stock launcher, and that quad-core power or go back to a slightly lower res screen, so-so stock launcher, and nice but plenty fast dual-core power.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibana View Post
    A phone is bad place to be storing work data. It's against my company's policy (that I wrote) for good reason. Still, to each his own. If you need to store GB of personal data, then this is probably not the phone for you.
    Agreed, seems like a terrible decision.