Do you pay for protection plans?

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Just wondering if you guys paid for theft/ACD protection plans for your DNA--I bought mine from Target online (no tax! CA tax is usually like $60 on cell phones) and they're offering $70/yr protection with no deductible. I bought protection for my wifi-only tablet, but I'm not sure if I want to drop $140 for the off-chance it gets stolen or cracked.

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I get ins everytime I buy a phone. The phones I get from Verizon has there plan. The others from BestBuy I get the black tie.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
I have gotten it in the past and plan on adding a third party insurance to my DNA. I haven't used it every time, but I have needed it to replace my DINC when I broke the screen and to replace my post GNex.

I haven't looked recently though, 70 a year sounds high. Is that typical now?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

wxrusss8

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I got the $5.99 per month insurance. I think it's worth it on a 600 dollar phone.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I haven't looked recently though, 70 a year sounds high. Is that typical now?

It does seem a little high, but there's no deductible--I was looking into SquareTrade, as I use them for my other electronic devices, but they have a $99 deductible on top of the $125/2 years. Which means if your device breaks, you'd pay the first $99 right? I can't really find a better deal, so I might jump on it. I think Target's is through this site: Mobile Device Protection I'll have to look into it to see how reputable they are, though.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
I use the Verizon insurance. However it is somewhat spend, Because you pay the 7 bucks a month and then 100 if you need a replacement. Better than 600 upfront though I guess.

MERCDROID

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I use the Verizon insurance. However it is somewhat spend, Because you pay the 7 bucks a month and then 100 if you need a replacement. Better than 600 upfront though I guess.

Asurion is probably what you're paying for. They provide great insurance. For the price, they replace your device hands down; and the claims process is a breeze. I just wish you didn't need to have a carrier contract to use them.

The Hustleman

May 28, 2010
Visit site
I'd be a fool to not get insurance on a 600+$ device.

Not because I'm careless with phones but because I can't control if someone steals my phone.

8 bucks a month is 96 bucks a year or 192 for 2 years, if you make a claim its 130

330 spent to replace a 650$ phone.

It's totally worth it.

Service plans are great too

sent from the best smart phone (not phablet) on the worst network- the galaxy S III unfortunately on T-Mobile

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Asurion is probably what you're paying for. They provide great insurance. For the price, they replace your device hands down; and the claims process is a breeze. I just wish you didn't need to have a carrier contract to use them.

Ya, it's assurion. I've had a couple claims with them and I've been satisfied so I keep using them.

EdJG

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest profit centers for companies is the add-on insurance plans or extended warranties. Have you ever bought any product (electronics, cars, appliances) where the salesman hasn't tried to sell you one?

Yes, we all hear of the times someone has saved $ by having one, but over the long run they take in a lot more $ than they pay out. So the odds are in their favor, not yours.

dwaynewilliams#WN

Feb 17, 2010
Visit site
I have had insurance on every phone that I have owned that offered it. I have never had to use it. Insurance is great of you need it just in case. But for me, it seems as though I have just thrown hundreds of dollars away on a service I don't use.

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Device insurance is like car insurance. You hope to never use it, but it is nice to have when you need it. If it didn't make money for the companies offering it, it wouldn't be available.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
One of the biggest profit centers for companies is the add-on insurance plans or extended warranties. Have you ever bought any product (electronics, cars, appliances) where the salesman hasn't tried to sell you one?

Yeah every time I've talked to Target Mobile's CS, they reaaaaaaaaaaaaallly try to upsell that insurance. I looked up the company that offers protection--"Mobile Device Protection Association"--and they have horrendous reviews all over. I'm going to have a bulky case and screen protector on it at all times, so hopefully the risk of serious damage will be minimal.

Has anyone tried SquareTrade protection for mobile devices? I purchased their protection for my tablet, but have yet to ever use it. It's only $125/2yrs with a $99 deductible. I have a $35 off coupon, which brings it to only $90. (I have a spare $35 coupon, if someone wants it just PM me).

artakartel

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I just dropped my phone (I have all the luck right?) and the glass cracked majorly. One week before my Slimline case ships in. So much for Gorilla Glass 2 cause it dropped on its corner and spiderwebbed everywhere. Hoping to get a free replacement with the 7.99 protection plan I got from Wirefly, or at least a low payment.

Why me :(

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I just dropped my phone (I have all the luck right?) and the glass cracked majorly. . . Hoping to get a free replacement with the 7.99 protection plan I got from Wirefly, or at least a low payment.

Yikes Wirefly is covered by Mobile Device Protection Association, same guys as Target Mobile. Read reviews anywhere: Mobile Device Protection Association, LLC Reviews - Cellular Telephone Equipment, Parts, and Supplies Wholesale - Fort Lauderdale, FL hopefully they're good on their word, but apparently a lot of people get turned down for being 'unsecured and negligent'.

Wingznut

Feb 10, 2011
Visit site
If I had paid for a protection plan on every phone I've had... The amount of money I'd have spent without a return on that investment would be ridiculous, since I would have never benefitted. So no, I don't sign up for those.

Hope I didn't just jinx myself... Knock on wood!

nDroid3

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
I hate to pay for insurance but then I would hate to pay full price if my phone ever does break.
For another 10 $ or so a month, its worth it

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Android Central Forums

Bockscar

May 27, 2010
Visit site
I paid for the insurance for 5 years and never needed it and Assurian raised the rates and deductible so I dropped it and haven't looked back. My insurance now is a Otterbox and a old phone for backup. If I do something stupid and brake or lose my phone then that is my punishment to have to go back to the old phone till my next upgrade.

Peter Akszterowicz

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
I just dropped my htc dna on tile, and the whole screen cracked in like every possible spot. Phone still works but its cracked everywhere, I don't know what to do and it has been more than 30 days since I purchased it. I was gonna get the square trade warranty and lie on the form saying i got i on 2/10/13 because my invoice says 1/30/13. I was gonna scan my invoice into my computer, change the date from 1/30/13 to 2/10/13 and then save it so when i make a claim I can send the one with the dates changed. My question is do they actually verify the invoice with the place you got it from, or do they just look at the date on there to make sure it matches the one you put when you signed up and then give you the new phone?

I really don't want to but a new phone for $600 and this is the first time I have ever broken a phone and I don't really know what else to do.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci