Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bowman53
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Initial Impressions Of DNA Vs. Note 2...

...So I've had my DNA now for about a month and love almost everything about it. Got my wife the Note 2 (she absolutely insisted on having the bigger screen) yesterday and I've been fiddling with it for over a day. I love the N2's inclusion of a power toggle right at the top of the notification pull-down menu. In terms of positives, that's pretty much it. I HATE the Samsung UI (TouchWiz?). The email implementation is not good at all and in general it seems clunky and unintuitive. In terms of UI's I adored the pure Google experience of my Gnex and I find the HTC Sense 4 to be pretty darn close and generally not intrusive at all. The screen of the N2 can't hold a candle to the DNA. Not only in resolution but in the purity of the whites (that's one of my pet major issues....I HATE non-white 'whites'....the Gnex had sickly yellow 'whites' BTW). Simply put, go to the Google home page on the N2 and then the DNA, hold them next to one another and you'll see that the N2 shows up as blue while the DNA is pure white. Oh, another plus for the N2 is the external speaker. It's loud and clear. The rear speaker on the DNA is OK but I'd give the nod to the N2 here. Also the dialing pad on the N2 is excellent. Nice and large and easy to press the numbers. The DNA only uses the bottom third of the screen for it's keypad which is ridiculous in my view. Cal quality on the DNA is much better with voices coming across as loud and clear. The N2 lags in this department and while it's OK the clear winner is the DNA here. Still haven't fiddled with the S-Pen much. Looks really complicated and unintuitive but it may just be a case of a steep initial learning curve. A few you tube video tutorials will probably help here. I absolutely DETEST the N2's home button. It's a physical button that needs to be depressed rather than a virtual touch button. The touch button is sooo much easier to use. And why the N2 included their own 'S-Voice' when Google Now is readily available in Jelly Bean is a real head scratcher. Google Now is light years better in every regard. Kind of like buying an Aston Martin and having them throw in a Fiat just for fun.

Anyway, just some initial impressions having hands-on time with both. For me it would be a no-brainer. Wife, OTOH just is fixated on having more screen real estate. happy wife, happy life!

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

Default Re: Initial Impressions Of DNA Vs. Note 2...

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Anyway, just some initial impressions having hands-on time with both. For me it would be a no-brainer. Wife, OTOH just is fixated on having more screen real estate. happy wife, happy life!
    Enjoyed reading your review and comparison.

My entire family are iPhone lovers! My wife has the iPhone 4S, my son insisted on getting the iPhone5 and my daughter just got the iPad mini. Upgraded my 11 year old daughter to my old Razr, and it took all of two days before she asked... "dad... when can I get an iPhone"?

Who ARE these people?

I've thoroughly enjoyed the DNA in the couple of weeks I've owned it. Are there some things I wish were different? Sure.

But overall, it's a great device, stunning screen and has no lag whatsoever. Listening to music with the Beats function turned on, sounds amazing.

When I pick up my son's iPhone, and see the 4" screen, boring (to me) lack of widgets, live wallpapers, notification LED, lack of wireless charging... sorry. I just don't get it!

Anyways, as long as you AND the little woman are happy, that's all that matters!

Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    ROM
    Virtuous Sense 3.0

While I agree with most of your review, I too have the DNA and my wife the Note 2. One big thing I noticed that you complained about but was wrong. The Note 2 does have Google Now, as does the S3.

Quote Originally Posted by A Risen Fury View Post
    While I agree with most of your review, I too have the DNA and my wife the Note 2. One big thing I noticed that you complained about but was wrong. The Note 2 does have Google Now, as does the S3.
    I don't think he said that it didn't have it, he just didn't understand why it has s-voice and Google now when Google now is miles better.

Which I tend to agree with. I've attempted to use s voice a couple times and found it to be absolutely horrid haha but that's just my opinion.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    I don't think he said that it didn't have it, he just didn't understand why it has s-voice and Google now when Google now is miles better.

Which I tend to agree with. I've attempted to use s voice a couple times and found it to be absolutely horrid haha but that's just my opinion.
    Yes!

ROM
    Stock

The note 2 isn't that bad of a phone. I had the one x+ which was really close to the Dna in size, specs and goodies. It's all personal preference.

Sent from my behemoth of a phone,the Galaxy Note II
    /
    D:
    \

All personal preference I guess. Some people will tell you they loathe Sense and prefer Touch Wiz or vice versa. I demoed a DNA in store for a while and loved it but ultimately needed the extra storage so went with the GN2. I will say the S pen is great once you get used to it though....I use it daily.
    SenseMonkey likes this.

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Bowman53 View Post
    All personal preference I guess. Some people will tell you they loathe Sense and prefer Touch Wiz or vice versa. I demoed a DNA in store for a while and loved it but ultimately needed the extra storage so went with the GN2. I will say the S pen is great once you get used to it though....I use it daily.
    Same. I love HTC sense but love giant screens so I go the note 2 to check it out, I didn't think I'd use the s pen at all but I've used it so much since I've first had it to type. Yes i love typing with my fingers but the swipe typing with the pen is so much faster and cooler.!

Sent from my behemoth of a phone,the Galaxy Note II
    /
    D:
    \

I have had both of these devices. If you don't like TouchWiz or Sense you can simply install Nova or Apex launchers that give a stock Android experience. I agree that the DNA display is much better than the Note II. Samsung displays are some of the least bright available. I read some Lux tests showing the SGIII and Note II displays to be just over 200 Lux which is not very bright. The DNA was almost at 400 Lux and the Droid Razr Maxx HD was at 467 Lux. The iPhone 5 is just shy of 500 Lux. I decided to keep the Note II just because I could not get by on the 16GB of storage on the DNA. I agree with the other points: Email, Call quality, Bluetooth, wireless charging and build quality all favor the DNA. Most can get by with the 16GB of storage and the non removable battery, but those were two key factors for me. I think that the Note II screen is about the 4th best that Verizon has on a smartphone right now. If the DNA just had more storage I would return my Note II and get it back.

I forgot. I don't really care for the hard button on the SGIII or Note II, but it is an easy way of turning the phone on without having to readjust your hand like you have to do to turn the DNA power button on the top.

Quote Originally Posted by techgeek32 View Post
    I forgot. I don't really care for the hard button on the SGIII or Note II, but it is an easy way of turning the phone on without having to readjust your hand like you have to do to turn the DNA power button on the top.
    Yep. Thats why I actually like it.....especially on the Gn2.

Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post

S voice works better for me with some tasks. Calendar entries and general voice commands have been easier with s voice.

from my Samsung Galaxy Note 2, baddest phone on the planet.
    If I were never here, you would never know.