Droid DNA digitizer grid

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I just received my DNA and there appears to be a very pronounced digitizer grid that can be seen when the phone is off or most prominently on a white background, which is a huge letdown for a flagship phone. Is this normal for the phone or did I get a dud? FYI it's a Verizon CLN.

Last edited:

Phil Nickinson

Android Central Editor Emeritus
Apr 21, 2009
Visit site
The horizontal lines? You gotta be looking REALLY hard to see that.

Or is yours different? Have a pic showing how bad it is?

joansin

Jan 14, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm going cross-eyed trying to see something and all I see is the beautiful display smiling back at me..... eh.

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I'll post pics when I get a chance tonight. I wouldn't care if I could only see them when the display is off, but the fact that on the HTC splash screen, the first thing I noticed was faint stripes and boxes in the white background is irritating.

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I can only see them when the screen is off and a light is on it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

PvilleComp

Jun 13, 2010
Visit site
I have never noticed them. If they are that pronounced, I would compare it with a working model in a VZW store and replace it as necessary.

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I have never noticed them. If they are that pronounced, I would compare it with a working model in a VZW store and replace it as necessary.

I may wind up doing that. I have a feeling that since it is a refurb that it may have a replacement screen. I'll take it into Verizon un the next couple days and see what's up.

It seems odd to me that HTC would even use a visible digitizer grid (with the screen off, much less with it on) when most phones nowadays use invisible ones (I. E. my GS3 and 4s before that).

Last edited:

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
It's a bit difficult to capture using my lovely cellphone camera, but you can see the boxes. Verizon also neglected to send me a sim card removal tool, so I'll be making a trip there tomorrow.

7ygupazy.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
So, I went to the Verizon store and the floor model wasn't working (go figure) ], but both an employee and the store manager looked at it and said that they both didn't think it should be that noticeable. Unfortunately they couldn't swap it out on the spot, but they ordered me another one and said the CLN stock units are probably new anyway atm, but if the next one has the same characteristic, it's probably just a design flaw of the phone rather than a rare issue. Considering how prominent it is, I can't help but think it's a flaw, as there would definitely be mass complaining online. Crossing my fingers! Thanks for your responses, guys.

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I thought I'd post an update: It appears it was only that phone that had the incredibly noticeable digitizer. Unfortunately, the CLN replacements I've gotten since from Verizon have all had varying degrees of back light issues. My current unit has two dark spots along the right edge of the screen, but it's the only phone that hasn't had an issue with the bottom near the capacitive buttons being darker and dingy looking. I can't win! =(

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I thought I'd post an update: It appears it was only that phone that had the incredibly noticeable digitizer. Unfortunately, the CLN replacements I've gotten since from Verizon have all had varying degrees of back light issues. My current unit has two dark spots along the right edge of the screen, but it's the only phone that hasn't had an issue with the bottom near the capacitive buttons being darker and dingy looking. I can't win! =(

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Dude that really sucks. Is the CLN "replacement" just a refurb or what?

YourMobileGuru

Formerly VZWRocks
Feb 25, 2010
Visit site
Dude that really sucks. Is the CLN "replacement" just a refurb or what?

When a phone is new a set number of brand new units are packaged on plain packaging and designated as CLNR units (because they havent had any returns on them to have any genuine refurbs yet). But when that first batch is exhausted then they are replaced with true CLNR units. Some are phones returned due to customer remorse (or customers who "rented" them while they waited for the phone they really wanted to come out) and wiped and tested before being repackaged. But yes eventually they are actually refurbished / repaired units.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cy3berOdyssey