Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree19Likes

Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

Actually had no idea about how the iphone camera worked. Thanks for the info. And now that you mention it, something with their retina displays have a lot to do with how their pictures come out too. I've noticed my friends iPhone 5 pics look great on his iPhone but when viewed on my device they aren't all that great. This is viewing them on instagram so there's no MMS compression or anything.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

Quote Originally Posted by croppz View Post
    Actually had no idea about how the iphone camera worked. Thanks for the info. And now that you mention it, something with their retina displays have a lot to do with how their pictures come out too. I've noticed my friends iPhone 5 pics look great on his iPhone but when viewed on my device they aren't all that great. This is viewing them on instagram so there's no MMS compression or anything.
    Filtered instagram images are basically edited JPEGs, so the images degrade by default since they're basically saved twice. I'm not sure if Instagram compresses images. I don't use it, but I do know it crops to a square (so if you're taking a crop from an image and applying a filter there's two levels of degradation built in to that process).

I don't think Apple has anything comparable to Sony's Mobile Bravia Engine running on their devices to optimize how images and video display on them.

I don't ever compare or observe image quality on a smartphone screen. The small screen really acts as a placebo and it's best done on a real PC or laptop. That's why I said, take images from the store model and just transfer them to your phone and load them on your computer. With WiFi Direct you can do this with video as well.

I don't think there are many people on this forum who have shared an image online only to find out it looks 3x worse at full size on a computer screen than it looked on their phone :-P
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #53  

To be honest with you, if you want a great camera in a phone, go buy an iPhone 5. I have yet to see a camera in any android phone take a better picture than a 4s/5. And this is coming from a guy who despises apple.

This was the best pic I ever took with my iphone 4. I haven't been able to replicate it. If apple does one thing right, they put pretty good cameras in their phones...but that's all the credit I'll give them. Don't mind my mismatched signals hahaha

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...79312330_n.jpg
    Sadly, as another Apple hater, I have to say I agree with you. I don't care what kind of alchemy Apple is using in their iphone cameras -- whatever it is, it works. Android devices would do well to (ahem) borrow some of this camera technology for their phone cameras. I don't have the time or interest to open up each one of my phone shots and then apply "auto-fix" to each one one by one. Why isn't it the default software which could be disabled if you wanted to? Is there any way to bulk "auto-fix"all the pics in your gallery? Or to set it as the default software processing program?
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    Sadly, as another Apple hater, I have to say I agree with you. I don't care what kind of alchemy Apple is using in their iphone cameras -- whatever it is, it works. Android devices would do well to (ahem) borrow some of this camera technology for their phone cameras. I don't have the time or interest to open up each one of my phone shots and then apply "auto-fix" to each one one by one. Why isn't it the default software which could be disabled if you wanted to? Is there any way to bulk "auto-fix"all the pics in your gallery? Or to set it as the default software processing program?
    Why can't Apple have controls for Exposure, White Balance, Scenes, and the like in their camera software. The only thing you can turn on and off on their Camera is HDR and the Flash for the most part. You cannot bypass their camera software tinkering witih your images - and in some cases the results are less than great.

Again, it depends on your requirements.

Editing ATM...

1. Low light image. Dark Room with only small blue lights above the animals. No flash photography was allowed in the room. Have fun on an iPhone 4 or 4S in this room. Used Night Time mode in the stock camera software. No editing was done to the image, period:

2. Outdoor on the train. No editing, period:

3. Outdoor on a very sunny day. No editing, period:

4. Indoors dubious lighting. No editing at all.

Look at the edges of that picture and compare it to the iPhone 4 image, and even most of the images from the DNA, even the resized images (these should display resized, I think, I'm using PWA to host them). There is a lot less noise there. Colors are on point. White balance is practically flawless, and an iPhone 4 or 4S default camera app would die trying to get a usable image of that snake without using a flash, but an HTC or Samsung device with a Night Time mode should not have too many issues. Even if flash was usable, it would ruin the image because the glass would reflect so much light back at the camera...

You don't need to use Auto-Fix to get a decent image out of this phone (at least mine), but clearly (as demonstrated above), the image looks substantially better when a good piece of software can be used to adjust the levels. An already good camera looks great. I was simply stating that comparing raw jpeg output from a Galaxy/HTC smartphone with - practically speaking - edited output form an iPhone isn't a 1:1 comparison.

And yes, there are programs that can batch edit photos, or you can Auto-Upload to DropBox, do it on a PC, and still have them all available to you on your phone when you need it there... It's really not hard if you know what you're doing.

The question is, why do you people not have an Apple iPhone?!

Lastly, why does anyone who dares to say anything positive about the iPhone feel the need to label themselves as an Apple Hater. Are people here really that susceptible to peer pressure from random internet forum personas?

Apple's devices have competitive optice and their software trickery is rather ingenious from a mass consumer point of view. I've never said anything other. But I think people are really overestimating the quality of their camera simply because they're bitter they got an HTC phone, which is a rather bad choice if you care that much about the camera on your phone. In any case, at least it's not a Motorola...

Personally, as someone who uses the crap out of my camera I wouldn't waste money on any HTC phone. I have Gigabytes of images I took with my Skyrocket so don't assume those I posted are best of best images. There are probably 300 other images I've snapped with it in all sorts of conditions that are equal or better quality. This phone's camera performs fairly consistently.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-16-2013 at 04:48 PM.

Default I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

Quote Originally Posted by n8ter#AC View Post
    Why can't Apple have controls for Exposure, White Balance, Scenes, and the like in their camera software. The only thing you can turn on and off on their Camera is HDR and the Flash for the most part. You cannot bypass their camera software tinkering witih your images - and in some cases the results are less than great.

Again, it depends on your requirements.

Editing ATM...

1. Low light image. Dark Room with only small blue lights above the animals. No flash photography was allowed in the room. Have fun on an iPhone 4 or 4S in this room. Used Night Time mode in the stock camera software. No editing was done to the image, period:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-P...922_113547.jpg

2. Outdoor on the train. No editing, period:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-c...728_115158.jpg

3. Outdoor on a very sunny day. No editing, period:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-4...909_134524.jpg

4. Indoors dubious lighting. No editing at all.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/--...019_140755.jpg

Look at the edges of that picture and compare it to the iPhone 4 image, and even most of the images from the DNA, even the resized images (these should display resized, I think, I'm using PWA to host them). There is a lot less noise there. Colors are on point. White balance is practically flawless, and an iPhone 4 or 4S default camera app would die trying to get a usable image of that snake without using a flash, but an HTC or Samsung device with a Night Time mode should not have too many issues. Even if flash was usable, it would ruin the image because the glass would reflect so much light back at the camera...

You don't need to use Auto-Fix to get a decent image out of this phone (at least mine), but clearly (as demonstrated above), the image looks substantially better when a good piece of software can be used to adjust the levels. An already good camera looks great. I was simply stating that comparing raw jpeg output from a Galaxy/HTC smartphone with - practically speaking - edited output form an iPhone isn't a 1:1 comparison.

And yes, there are programs that can batch edit photos, or you can Auto-Upload to DropBox, do it on a PC, and still have them all available to you on your phone when you need it there... It's really not hard if you know what you're doing.

The question is, why do you people not have an Apple iPhone?!

Lastly, why does anyone who dares to say anything positive about the iPhone feel the need to label themselves as an Apple Hater. Are people here really that susceptible to peer pressure from random internet forum personas?

Apple's devices have competitive optice and their software trickery is rather ingenious from a mass consumer point of view. I've never said anything other. But I think people are really overestimating the quality of their camera simply because they're bitter they got an HTC phone, which is a rather bad choice if you care that much about the camera on your phone. In any case, at least it's not a Motorola...

Personally, as someone who uses the crap out of my camera I wouldn't waste money on any HTC phone. I have Gigabytes of images I took with my Skyrocket so don't assume those I posted are best of best images. There are probably 300 other images I've snapped with it in all sorts of conditions that are equal or better quality. This phone's camera performs fairly consistently.
    Consistency is key, which is why the iPhones camera is so highly rated. It does better than most in the dark (better than Samsung, certainly, thanks to its optics), and its quality is very consistent. What they do to get it doesn't really matter; the results do.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Consistency is key, which is why the iPhones camera is so highly rated. It does better than most in the dark (better than Samsung, certainly, thanks to its optics), and its quality is very consistent. What they do to get it doesn't really matter; the results do.
    Yup. It flatout works which is why a lot of people buy that phone. Im content with my DNAs camera. Takes like 5 seconds to change settings anyway.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

So in general, when it comes to Android smartphone cameras, Samsung > HTC? Where would LG or Motorola fit in this spectrum?

With the DNA's cam, I'm a mix of resigned/content. I'm using FV-5 instead of the stock app, which is great when I have the time for more control. Either way, it's mediocre at best in indoor/low-light; the focus on my sister's 4S is better, regardless of our f/2.0 (I'm forced to use AV-Lock because it can never quite get the right focal length). For some reason I always see "your hands are shaky, get a tripod if you can't handle low ISO" as a defense--but that's really not the point of a smartphone cam, is it?

I wish one of these phone manufacturers would partner with Zeiss optics and bring a top-of-the-line camera to Android. Not a 41MP monstrocity, but something where the camera was one of its notable features. They're coming out with "smartcam" point-and-shoots, you'd think someone would design an in-between phone. I love my DNA and wouldn't think of trading it out now, but I do have a tinge of regret for not even testing out the Note 2 before making a decision.

Default I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

Yup. It flatout works which is why a lot of people buy that phone. Im content with my DNAs camera. Takes like 5 seconds to change settings anyway.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Oh don't get me wrong, if you tweak you can get some pretty fantastic pictures from the others. The DNA is on the short list to replace the iPhone 5 I have now, and one of the reasons is because the camera is so good. Besides, if I need a totally amazing customizable camera for something, I have a Sony NEX that can do the job.
    Banned

Global Posts
    4,395 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (4.3)

Disregard.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 01-16-2013 at 11:51 PM.

ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

From what I've seen, Sonys new xperia z and zl has Stella camera that are better than the dna and the iPhone. I almost want to wait and get the z but I need to know if its coming to VZW. If not I'll end up with the DNA unless Samsung brings the s4 with that octa core exynos out first

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Here's a picture I took at work today. All that is done to it is the "auto enhance" and all that did was make the colors a little more natural to the room I was in, hardly changed it much though. Not too shabby either as far as quality. Though, the name at the top of the computer screen (StealthTouch) doesn't look as sharp as it should be.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123