Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 61
Like Tree19Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    ...I mean really sucks as in it's not even close. The N2 camera is simply better in every respect. I did side by side shots with and without flash and in bright light and limited light. In all instances the N2 was markedly better.

    Less grain in limited lighting conditions without flash.

    Far better color saturation and contrast. Colors on the DNA camera look beached and washed out under all shooting conditions.

    About equal in detail resolution.

    Flash performance was markedly better than the DNA with the DNA flash blowing out highlights and ruining color accuracy.

    White balance under incandescent lighting was far, far better in the N2 with the DNA causing whites to look decidedly yellow with White Balance set to Auto. Shockingly, when set to Incandescent things got no better with the DNA. A really, really horrible showing for the DNA here. A $10 POS digital camera does a better job. Just shocking.

    Special effects on the N2, again, are much better than on the DNA and offer more flexibility and fun. Admittedly, these won't be used much but they do seem to be better integrated and more varied than those found in the DNA.

    The only area where I'd give the nod to the DNA is in the fact that we have our zoom bar right on the screen at all times, making zooming and framing very easy and intuitive. The N2 makes you first hit the volume rocker while in camera mode to get the zoom bar up on the screen. And then the place it on the left which is not as ergonomically 'correct' as placing it on the right side of the screen (IMO).

    HTC should really be ashamed of itself to equip this phone with such an incredibly sub-par camera.
    Thanked by:
  2. #2  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    <Sarcasm> Dang. I was just about to purchase a DNA, but now that I can't count on it to replace my DSLR camera, I'm not sure what to do. </Sarcasm>
    Thanked by:
    joansin and Fraggle79 like this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Quote Originally Posted by DarkBeer View Post
    <Sarcasm> Dang. I was just about to purchase a DNA, but now that I can't count on it to replace my DSLR camera, I'm not sure what to do. </Sarcasm>
    Sarcasm missed. I wasn't comparing it to a Nikon D800, I was comparing it to another cell phone's camera. And yes, it sucks by comparison. Just trying to be objective here. If you're looking for all sycophantic reviews all the time I guess you'll have to look elsewhere.
    Thanked by 2:
    Bond32, uscsailor, reb422 and 2 others like this.
  4. #4  
    Irvgotti's Avatar

    Posts
    1,086 Posts
    ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Weird. My dna takes equally if not better than my friends note 2.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Privacy is overrated :P
    Thanked by:
    Fraggle79 likes this.
  5. #5  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Note 2 camera is much more consistent. Had both for 2 weeks. The DNA camera is much hyped, but actual results when pictures printed or looked at on computer only good...not great.
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try) / LG3 (it might be love but will a Note 4 break us up?)
  6. #6  
    potatolover1102's Avatar

    Posts
    587 Posts
    Global Posts
    597 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    My DNA takes the worst low light pictures I have seen in literally years on a phone. It is so grainy I'm embarrassed to show people sometimes. With BSI, image chip, and all these awesome camera qualities I wonder why it performs so poorly to other phones with less? My s3 took great low light photos even before the jelly bean update came which made low light even better. Can the grain be fixed in an update?

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
  7. #7  
    Sooks's Avatar

    Posts
    526 Posts
    Global Posts
    5,131 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    I too have had both phones, regards to low light you are correct, the Note 2 takes it; with natural light and the right settings, there is no doubt in my mind that the DNA takes it, on screen and printed. The DNA has the camera hardware down. It's lacking in software optimization, which hopefully, if we ever get an update from HTC, will be resolved.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Quote Originally Posted by Sooks View Post
    I too have had both phones, regards to low light you are correct, the Note 2 takes it; with natural light and the right settings, there is no doubt in my mind that the DNA takes it, on screen and printed. The DNA has the camera hardware down. It's lacking in software optimization, which hopefully, if we ever get an update from HTC, will be resolved.
    Can you share what the "right settings" are on the DNA. I've played with ISO, color saturation and white balance settings and none seemed to improve it's mediocre performance. What have you discovered? I will say that I like the effects options (post shot) on the DNA are better (read: more realistic and thus, likely to be useful for real world use) than those on the N2.
    Last edited by PsychDoc; 12-31-2012 at 01:16 PM.
  9. #9  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    I didn't want to admit it but now that I'm reading this thread, I'm recalling several occasions where my DNA camera let me down as well. Specifically, there were several occasions where the camera couldn't focus on the subject and repeatedly attempted focus like the software had the lens on an endless loop of focus-attempts. One occasion was shooting two faces in a well lit room on Christmas Day. The other was at a restaurant with low to mid amount of light; also people were the subjects. Its intermittent and have to think its a software thing as a result. But disappointing nonetheless.
  10. #10  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    I came from a Gnex so compared to that this camera is a dslr
    Thanked by 2:
    dsignori likes this.
  11. #11  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    I have to agree, in low light situations It is mediocre. As someone pointed out, In natural, we'll illuminated settings.. It takes exceptional pictures. I had the gs3 and it took phenomenal, low light pictures. It can be fixed with software, it certainly has the right and capable hardware.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Change the resolution from widescreen to 4.3 and most of the problems are solved. Turn auto iso off and use landscape scene and I get outstanding shots with my DNA

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    MrRicks84 likes this.
  13. #13  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Quote Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
    Change the resolution from widescreen to 4.3 and most of the problems are solved. Turn auto iso off and use landscape scene and I get outstanding shots with my DNA

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    I tried this and it did help the image quality. I also found less grain & noise if I didn't zoom at all
  14. #14  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Indeed. Digital zoom affects quality a lot. Turn off widescreen and use manual low ISO like 200 or even 100 where possible.

    Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums
  15. #15  
    bespinct's Avatar

    Posts
    733 Posts
    Global Posts
    748 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Quote Originally Posted by osubeavs728 View Post
    I came from a Gnex so compared to that this camera is a dslr
    Yeah, no kidding. It's all relative...

    Steve

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  16. #16  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Compared to the razr m this thing takes immaculate pictures like night and day difference I'm totally happy with the DNA camera. I'm also no photography expert either.
    HTC touch-BB pearl flip-BB tour-OG-DX-Fascinate-D2-Thunderbolt-Bionic-Rezound-Galaxy Nexus-Razr-Razr M-DNA-GS4- Note 3-?
    Irvgotti likes this.
  17. #17  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Quote Originally Posted by PsychDoc View Post
    ...I mean really sucks as in it's not even close. The N2 camera is simply better in every respect. I did side by side shots with and without flash and in bright light and limited light. In all instances the N2 was markedly better.

    Less grain in limited lighting conditions without flash.

    Far better color saturation and contrast. Colors on the DNA camera look beached and washed out under all shooting conditions.

    About equal in detail resolution.

    Flash performance was markedly better than the DNA with the DNA flash blowing out highlights and ruining color accuracy.

    White balance under incandescent lighting was far, far better in the N2 with the DNA causing whites to look decidedly yellow with White Balance set to Auto. Shockingly, when set to Incandescent things got no better with the DNA. A really, really horrible showing for the DNA here. A $10 POS digital camera does a better job. Just shocking.

    Special effects on the N2, again, are much better than on the DNA and offer more flexibility and fun. Admittedly, these won't be used much but they do seem to be better integrated and more varied than those found in the DNA.

    The only area where I'd give the nod to the DNA is in the fact that we have our zoom bar right on the screen at all times, making zooming and framing very easy and intuitive. The N2 makes you first hit the volume rocker while in camera mode to get the zoom bar up on the screen. And then the place it on the left which is not as ergonomically 'correct' as placing it on the right side of the screen (IMO).

    HTC should really be ashamed of itself to equip this phone with such an incredibly sub-par camera.
    You need to find something better to rant about, tiger.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Thanked by:
  18. #18  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    I think that the hype with htc cameras leads you to expect the best smartphone camera. There was no hype with the note 2 camera. So when using the DNA the bar was set high by the hype, but it comes in a bit below the expectations. The note 2 didn't set the high expectations so it comes in like wow... Great camera. My long 4 cents.
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try) / LG3 (it might be love but will a Note 4 break us up?)
  19. #19  
    whiteshadow001's Avatar

    Posts
    1,202 Posts
    ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Seriously at this point in the camera game who cares. We are getting awesome cameras on our phones so Why do we need to see these small details? You're not going to notice the imperfections unless you absolutely look for them.

    Besides HTC said the camera issues with the DNA are software related. Once updated the DNA will blow your note 2 away

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  20. #20  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 View Post
    Seriously at this point in the camera game who cares. We are getting awesome cameras on our phones so Why do we need to see these small details? You're not going to notice the imperfections unless you absolutely look for them.

    Besides HTC said the camera issues with the DNA are software related. Once updated the DNA will blow your note 2 away

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    With the ImageSense chip and rewritten software, I was expecting more with my EVO. I've seen the issues where it struggled to focus consistently. But you make an excellent point that I think is relevant. When the Nokia Lumia 920 many owners and reviews weren't too pleased with the daylight photos it took. After a recent software update, all of its issues were fixed and the Lumia's daytime photos are just as good as its night-time shots. So it's very possible that HTC could do the same for the DNA and other devices.
    Thanked by:
  21. #21  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Why go into great detail how every shot was taken the same way with both phones, same times etc.... and not show any of the pictures. It's one thing to hear what you think about them but would be tons better to see them for ourselves, would should be a easy thing to do.
    Thanked by 2:
  22. #22  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Quote Originally Posted by tx_tuff View Post
    Why go into great detail how every shot was taken the same way with both phones, same times etc.... and not show any of the pictures. It's one thing to hear what you think about them but would be tons better to see them for ourselves, would should be a easy thing to do.
    Yes... But with user manipulation and / or error wouldn't prove much in the forums at least! :-)
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try) / LG3 (it might be love but will a Note 4 break us up?)
  23. #23  
    Bobbman's Avatar

    Posts
    182 Posts
    Global Posts
    203 Global Posts

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 View Post
    Seriously at this point in the camera game who cares. We are getting awesome cameras on our phones so Why do we need to see these small details? You're not going to notice the imperfections unless you absolutely look for them.

    Besides HTC said the camera issues with the DNA are software related. Once updated the DNA will blow your note 2 away

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Blow note 2 away? I doubt it. May help with low light. May even inch it a bit better than note 2 in some cases. Blow it away though? Don't think so. They are too similar to begin with.
    g1 / Galaxy S / Thunderbolt / Bionic / Rezound / Razr Maxx / Galaxy Nexus (only 4 hours)/ S3 / Note 2 / S4 / Note 3 sweetness / Iphone 5s (had to try) / LG3 (it might be love but will a Note 4 break us up?)
  24. #24  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Wow this thread gets locked on xda and moves right over here lol

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
  25. #25  

    Default Re: I've Compared Our Camera To That In The Note 2 And Ours SUCKS (!!!) By Comparison....

    Sorry that was android forums

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. First experience w/ the phone in the rain, and it sucks
    By nikeairs23 in forum Sprint Galaxy S II Epic 4G Touch
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-06-2011, 06:19 AM
  2. What do YOU want to see in the DInc Froyo walkthrough video?
    By Kyle Gibb in forum Verizon Droid Incredible
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-31-2010, 10:03 AM
  3. What I Want To See In the Evo 4G -X
    By dougeetx in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 06-29-2010, 09:35 PM
  4. Sending links to apps in the market
    By Paterick in forum General Help and How To
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-12-2010, 02:13 PM
  5. Why is it that in the Android Central Store
    By Dega in forum The Android Central Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-05-2010, 04:56 PM

Posting Permissions