Poor backlighting?

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've owned 3 DNAs now, all of which seemed to have crappy backlighting (among a few other problems; the current phone I have is approx. 1/2 as bright as the first two--- bummer). On all three, the bottom 1/4-1/2 inch of screen (near the capacitive buttons) is dimmer than the rest of the screen (and dingier looking) and on two of them there appeared to be backlight shadowing down the left and right sides of the screen (in portrait, i.e. a 1/6 strip where everything is dimmer). Are these just characteristics of poor backlighting? My previous iPhone 4s had a very uniform screen and my sister's iPhone 5 is the same way, but the backlighting on this phone seems to be atrocious. Is it worth another try at an exchange or are they all like this?

Out of curiosity, are the LEDs in the bezel located only at the top?

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Not sure about your last question, but my screen doesn't match your description at all.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

jayochs

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
You must have bad phones. Mine, my bosses, and every DNA we've sold so far has been perfect.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
1/12 update

I received a replacement for the dim phone a couple of days ago and the replacement fixes all of the previous problems that I've had (screen is bright enough, bottom of screen is much more well lit that the previous units, touch-screen grid is much less noticeable), but it looks like it has two dark spots along the lower right in portrait orientation. Verizon CLN phones seems to be crap. I guess the screen is considered cosmetic and of little importance? :-\

In this pic, I'm holding the phone in landscape so it's on the bottom on the screen.

Attachments

• IMAG0024.jpg
    IMAG0024.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
What launcher are you using? I didn't bother checking if it was default on stock HTC Sense, but on Nova Launcher you can opt to either "show shadow" or not, see screenshot. That may explain why the bottom of your screen is darker. The right edge of my screen looks a tad darker, but it's likely just an optical illusion--either way, I don't notice it enough for me want to exchange devices. I totally understand if you do, though.

One thing that does bother me, however, is the light leaking onto the screen from the soft key buttons at the bottom. It's not particularly noticeable in daylight, but when I'm using the device at night it kind of annoys me. I'm guessing this is just what happens when you have soft key lights, though, I'm sure it's unavoidable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-12-13-51-15.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-12-13-51-15.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 24

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Y
What launcher are you using? I didn't bother checking if it was default on stock HTC Sense, but on Nova Launcher you can opt to either "show shadow" or not, see screenshot. That may explain why the bottom of your screen is darker. The right edge of my screen looks a tad darker, but it's likely just an optical illusion--either way, I don't notice it enough for me want to exchange devices. I totally understand if you do, though.

One thing that does bother me, however, is the light leaking onto the screen from the soft key buttons at the bottom. It's not particularly noticeable in daylight, but when I'm using the device at night it kind of annoys me. I'm guessing this is just what happens when you have soft key lights, though, I'm sure it's unavoidable.

I'm using the stock launcher. I'm fairly certain that it is a backlighting issue as the one I currently have (with the two darker spots on the side) seems to be much closer in brightness to the top than last last 3 handsets. As for the shadow; I don't think it's am optical illusion as the first device I had seemed evenly lit to the edges while the last three seem to have a shadow of sorts running on either side or both sides, which I thought was an optical illusion until I compared it to my old iPhone 4S (which is now my mom's phone). Other than the screen issues I've been having, this phone is monstrously awesome. Maybe the uniformity of iPhone panels have spoiled me (or Verizon refurbs suck). 0.0

Also, when you mention light leak from the capacitive buttons, what does it looks like down there? That may be part of what I'm seeing near the buttons (though, not so much with the current unit, but it's still not bright and uniform like the top of the screen). Here you can see they bottom of my current phone for reference (including the two problem spots on the right side, but they're harder to see in the pic).

ydedyma3.jpg

Last edited:

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
Well, I confirmed my theory that the backlighting sucks. Been through a few replacements for various issues and found that the top 1/4 of the screen is always brighter than the rest, the bottom 1/4 is always darker with shadowing at the very bottom, and they all have some degree of shadowing along the sides. The backlighting apparatus is crap for such a nice lcd panel. I guess not enough people bought this phone for anyone to bother complaining.