Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

Avoid the store altogether, just order online. Instead of being persuaded and tricked by salespeople, you can pick out exactly what you want, and verify any changes to your contract prior to proceeding with the sale. My stepfather ended up with a TON of stuff added on to his contract he didn't need when he bought his last phone...then had to call and get a bunch of stuff removed when his bill arrived. If you're buying full price to retain your existing contract, I think this is the best way to go.

Also, as advice to anyone, sync your contacts via Google, don't waste time with Backup Assistant. Not that it doesn't work, buy you'll make things much easier on yourself later if you ever decide to switch carriers.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    10,716 Global Posts
    ROM
    AOSP, & stock.

Everyone should be able to pitch a sell. You say yes or no and that is the end. If it goes further, ask for a manager. You should not have to avoid stores. Do not let them be bullies. We are the customer and pay their bills.
    I had unlimited data buying a device outright. Everytime Verizon had done what I asked. Don't bend over, demand customer service. ..... You pay for it.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
    MrRicks84 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ddsrepair View Post
    I activated mine on another line and had it transferred to my number to keep my unlimited data. The Verizon rep went so far as to say that it would void my warranty. I asked to see that in writing. He got his manager and the manager said "I cannot locate the document that say that, but you will NOT get warranty service in THIS corporate store". I replied, "I don't care, in six months you probably won't be employed here anyway".
    As a follow-up proving that the store manager was full of it saying I voided my warranty, my DNA has the back coating peeling off so I called Verizon today and they are replacing the phone under warranty with overnight shipping.

Default Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    That salesperson was rude. She should have done what the customer asked for. So she caused a woman aggravation to the point her husband had to deal with her. I would had been all over that saleswoman. I won't be walked on. She must had thought she wouldn't get anywhere with her husband. I always gave the customer what they wanted to buy whether contract or outright purchase. Its customer service. She should be written up for her lack of service. That's ridiculous

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums
    She was doing her job, even if she was being rude. At this point Verizon cares more about keeping customers in contract and on newer plans than anything else, and there are incentives to do so. Anyone that believes this employee wasn't doing exactly as Verizon wanted doesn't know what they're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    She was doing her job, even if she was being rude. At this point Verizon cares more about keeping customers in contract and on newer plans than anything else, and there are incentives to do so. Anyone that believes this employee wasn't doing exactly as Verizon wanted doesn't know what they're talking about.
    I'm sure people know that but she was wrong in how she treated the man's wife. It was disrespectful. Whether how she conducted herself is in her job description or not, it was just plain wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by ddsrepair View Post
    As a follow-up proving that the store manager was full of it saying I voided my warranty, my DNA has the back coating peeling off so I called Verizon today and they are replacing the phone under warranty with overnight shipping.
    If a phone goes to another number on the same account, warranty will be intact. If the phone goes to another account, there is no more warranty. Its very possible (and likely) going right to HTC would still give you warranty replacement, but Verizon won't.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

I sold Verizon. I never treated a customer badly when they paid full retail. It is their money. She was rude. I do know what I am talking about.

sent from either my Samsung Galaxy Note2 or my
    Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

I have a nice tale...

I wanted a DNA. I'm on T-Mobile. I went to a VZW corporate store to buy the phone full retail with no service. Rep looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language and passed me off to a manager. He flat out refused to sell it to me without service. Refused. Told me to try Best Buy. (It should be noted that at no point did I mention using it on another carrier.)

I did try Best Buy, turns out they don't carry it in store.

Tried a VZW official retailer, they said all their devices are sold to them attached to contracts and therefore couldn't sell it to me (which btw is nonsense).

Called VZW customer service and both their sales rep and a customer service rep were dumbfounded by my request and finally confirmed that even they could not sell me the device.

Thoroughly pissed at this point, I returned to the VZW corporate store with the intention to buy it full retail and open a new line, then immediately cancel it. Right there. While smirking, naturally.

Alas...this was not to be, not quite anyway. I posed my request to buy it full retail and open a new line. Again, it was as if I were speaking a martian tongue, so the rep went to get a manager (a new one this time).

He proceeded to ask me why I want to buy it full retail. He kept trying to milk me for an explanation and then spin it around to try to convince me to sign a contract instead. Finally accepting my made up story that I was buying it for a far away relative, he disappeared to the back for close to 25 minutes (with no status updates), supposedly to "see what he could do."

Upon returning to me, he said that he believed it was my intention to cancel service after buying the device and that he therefore could not and would not sell it to me.

Excuse me what?

Trying to keep cool, I calmly asked where in Verizon's company policy it stated such a thing. He snidely said, "I could look it up." I replied, "Yes, please do." Looking visibly aggravated, he again disappeared into the abyss that is the Verizon back room for another half an hour...again with no updates. In fact, upon asking other reps if they could check on the progress, I would see them turn around, whisper to one another, and reply that they were sure he'd be out shortly (but they couldn't be bothered to actually go check).

Unwilling to back down at this point, I waited it out. Finally he emerged. Carrying the phone. He handed me off to a sales rep and stormed off.

Needless to say, my feelings toward Verizon could not possibly be any worse: they're AT&T level.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA on T-mothaf***ing-Mobile
    codeda likes this.

Yup, they make very little on straight up phone sales. It's much better for them to get you to resign a new contract or to change your plan to one that costs more etc. As for why she tried that with your wife, it's a sexist salesman technique. Granted women are just as tech savvy as men these days but she probably looked at your wife and thought here's a chance to try and convince her to sign a new contract. When I worked at best buy, so many jerks would do this to moms who came into get a television for their kids room etc. It's practices like these that made me get never want to go back to a sales job again. It's not about helping the customer its about making as much money as possible. This lady at Verizon knew the second you walked in that your wife had probably complained and that since she went to get you, she knew she couldn't pull the wool over your eyes.

It's why I primarily do all my contracts and phone purchases directly by calling the somewhat secret customer retention line. I'm also happy that Google is directly selling its nexus devices.

Quote Originally Posted by Jude526 View Post
    I sold Verizon. I never treated a customer badly when they paid full retail. It is their money. She was rude. I do know what I am talking about.

No, you don't. The sales culture at most companies has changed over the last year. Verizon especially so with the launch of their shared plans and ending of unlimited.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmjr90 View Post
    I have a nice tale...

I wanted a DNA. I'm on T-Mobile. I went to a VZW corporate store to buy the phone full retail with no service. Rep looked at me like I was speaking a foreign language and passed me off to a manager. He flat out refused to sell it to me without service. Refused. Told me to try Best Buy. (It should be noted that at no point did I mention using it on another carrier.)

I did try Best Buy, turns out they don't carry it in store.

Tried a VZW official retailer, they said all their devices are sold to them attached to contracts and therefore couldn't sell it to me (which btw is nonsense).

Called VZW customer service and both their sales rep and a customer service rep were dumbfounded by my request and finally confirmed that even they could not sell me the device.

Thoroughly pissed at this point, I returned to the VZW corporate store with the intention to buy it full retail and open a new line, then immediately cancel it. Right there. While smirking, naturally.

Alas...this was not to be, not quite anyway. I posed my request to buy it full retail and open a new line. Again, it was as if I were speaking a martian tongue, so the rep went to get a manager (a new one this time).

He proceeded to ask me why I want to buy it full retail. He kept trying to milk me for an explanation and then spin it around to try to convince me to sign a contract instead. Finally accepting my made up story that I was buying it for a far away relative, he disappeared to the back for close to 25 minutes (with no status updates), supposedly to "see what he could do."

Upon returning to me, he said that he believed it was my intention to cancel service after buying the device and that he therefore could not and would not sell it to me.

Excuse me what?

Trying to keep cool, I calmly asked where in Verizon's company policy it stated such a thing. He snidely said, "I could look it up." I replied, "Yes, please do." Looking visibly aggravated, he again disappeared into the abyss that is the Verizon back room for another half an hour...again with no updates. In fact, upon asking other reps if they could check on the progress, I would see them turn around, whisper to one another, and reply that they were sure he'd be out shortly (but they couldn't be bothered to actually go check).

Unwilling to back down at this point, I waited it out. Finally he emerged. Carrying the phone. He handed me off to a sales rep and stormed off.

Needless to say, my feelings toward Verizon could not possibly be any worse: they're AT&T level.

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA on T-mothaf***ing-Mobile
    They have no obligation to sell you a device that won't be used on their network.

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

They have no obligation to sell you a device that won't be used on their network.
    I never said anything about using it on another network. (To them)
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Actually the customer has a RIGHT to buy whatever he wants from them. Verizon was in the wrong. So happy I left them

Sent from my S3 from AT&T

Quote Originally Posted by rickydavis1051 View Post
    Actually the customer has a RIGHT to buy whatever he wants from them. Verizon was in the wrong. So happy I left them

ACTUALLY Verizon and any other company have the right to refuse service to anyone they chose if they feel your motives are less than sincere

Thanked by 2:
    Ry and Ezduzit like this.

I've only ever gone inside a VZW store when I had an issue with a phone currently under manufacturer's warranty--that was maybe 4 years ago lol. The less interaction the better. Though I've had to call their CS like 10 times over various issues on their part regarding my DNA/data plan/charges/etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nanachkh View Post
    I was upgrading my mom's phone from a feature phone to the DNA then I was going to take the DNA and she could keep the feature phone.
    They don't do anything to prevent that if you buy directly from VZW? Sweet. My dad's adamant about using dumb phones whose only feature is to call. He doesn't even like that new-fangled texting thing. I'll use up his upgrade next time I want a new phone . I ordered mine from Target Mobile, and they had some fat warning against transferring devices within 180 days of purchase.
    Banned

Global Posts
    181 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
    ACTUALLY Verizon and any other company have the right to refuse service to anyone they chose if they feel your motives are less than sincere

How would they know what he was doing? Exactly they didn't. They had no "sincere" reason to treat a customer (who is willing to spend hard earned money on their product) like that.

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

How would they know what he was doing? Exactly they didn't. They had no "sincere" reason to treat a customer (who is willing to spend hard earned money on their product) like that.
    Exactly. Not only that, even if I clearly admitted to wanting to use it on another network, it's still in both Verizon's as well as that particular store's best interest to sell it to me. Instead, I now have a strong negative opinion of Verizon as a whole (which I did not have before). As the guy who pretty much everyone in my family as well as most of my friends ask for phone advice, that's not ideal. Yes, in the grand scheme of things, I'm insignificant, but it's still poor customer relations. Not only that, if for any reason I do end up using Verizon in the future, you better believe I will not be going to that store.

Quote Originally Posted by mtmjr90 View Post
    Exactly. Not only that, even if I clearly admitted to wanting to use it on another network, it's still in both Verizon's as well as that particular store's best interest to sell it to me. Instead, I now have a strong negative opinion of Verizon as a whole (which I did not have before). As the guy who pretty much everyone in my family as well as most of my friends ask for phone advice, that's not ideal. Yes, in the grand scheme of things, I'm insignificant, but it's still poor customer relations. Not only that, if for any reason I do end up using Verizon in the future, you better believe I will not be going to that store.
    But you are not their customer and they would rather sell the phone to someone who is going to use it on their network. You can argue and get huffy all you want. And obviously if you're the "phone guy" and you're not using Verizon, its not likely that you've sent any business their way to begin with. Again they are under no obligation to sell you anything. You don't have to like it, but it is their right. I work for Verizon indirect and personally I would have sold you the phone. But if you came in there and got pissy and demanded I sell it to you i would tell you to keep steppin

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
    But you are not their customer and they would rather sell the phone to someone who is going to use it on their network. You can argue and get huffy all you want. And obviously if you're the "phone guy" and you're not using Verizon, its not likely that you've sent any business their way to begin with. Again they are under no obligation to sell you anything. You don't have to like it, but it is their right. I work for Verizon indirect and personally I would have sold you the phone. But if you came in there and got pissy and demanded I sell it to you i would tell you to keep steppin
    Okay, you've made a good number of assumptions about me... First off, I have used Verizon very recently (bought the GNex on release day) and prior to this incident had no issue considering them in the future. Second, I switched my Dad to Verizon from AT&T a couple years ago. [Actually, my opinion of Verizon had been growing more positive since they started releasing their phones unlocked (iPhone 5, 8X, DNA)...]

Third, I was perfectly amicable when I went in to buy the phone. I was just as pleasant the second time I went in...after all it wasn't the rep's fault that the managers were less than stellar at customer service. It was the treatment I received that soured my attitude toward the very end.

One thing I am not, and never will be, is a carrier apologist. I'm sorry, but one primary function of carrier stores is to sell phones. I went in to buy a phone. I expect to be sold a phone. In no other industry does the customer have to jump through as many unnecessary, consumer-hostile hoops than in mobile telecom and until people start pushing back, nothing changes.

They didn't give me a hard time about the DNA when I bought it last week, but they did really try to push the Note II....I mean HARD lol
    After I explained that the bit of difference in size was too much for me personally, they let up.

Global Posts
    109 Global Posts

The problem, as I see it, is the entire way cellular is marketed, and sold, in the United States.

In Europe, you choose your carrier separately from your cell phone. (From what I've heard)

This business of cellular companies doing the marketing of phones, and subsidizing them, is garbage! We end up with cell phones that are subsidized when we sign a two year agreement, but they typically have a one year life span (if you want to have the latest and greatest!) Believe me, we're PAYING the entire cost of the phone, we're just doing it over two years. If Verizon, or ATT DIDN'T have to subsidize phones, the monthly service costs would be much lower!

Imagine if you had to purchase a television set that worked with DirecTV, and if you moved your cable to another service, you'd have to change televisions!
    kurosenpai likes this.

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by shel View Post
    The problem, as I see it, is the entire way cellular is marketed, and sold, in the United States.

In Europe, you choose your carrier separately from your cell phone. (From what I've heard)

This business of cellular companies doing the marketing of phones, and subsidizing them, is garbage! We end up with cell phones that are subsidized when we sign a two year agreement, but they typically have a one year life span (if you want to have the latest and greatest!) Believe me, we're PAYING the entire cost of the phone, we're just doing it over two years. If Verizon, or ATT DIDN'T have to subsidize phones, the monthly service costs would be much lower!

Imagine if you had to purchase a television set that worked with DirecTV, and if you moved your cable to another service, you'd have to change televisions!
    I get a sense that things are changing (albeit slowly). The growing popularity of contract free, prepaid options like StraightTalk combined with T-Mobile's imminent elimination of subsidies (and thus lower cost monthly plans) I believe are good signs. It should be remembered that with the latter, if the customer doesn't want to pay the full unsubsidized price up-front, they will have to finance it month-to-month over the course of a service contract (bringing monthly bills up to similarly high levels to carriers elsewhere)..so effectively there's not a huge substantive difference. The major change is the pricing transparency.

On the other hand, until we have phones that will work on any US network, our options are limited. As it is, the best you'll get is something like the Droid DNA that works on VZW, AT&T, T-Mo, and all GSM MVNOs...but options like this are few and far between. Props also to T-Mo for refarming their 1900MHz spectrum to operate on 3G, so that unlocked AT&T phones will now get decent speeds on T-Mo (and T-Mo based MVNOs).

Global Posts
    711 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

(double post)

They want you to sign a contract is you don't have one.
    They want you off unlimited, if you have it.
    They want to extract the maximum amount of money from you.
    The correct way to buy a phone with no service is to buy it claiming that you want to give it as a gift to your relative that is a Verizon customer.
    No activation required. No hassles.
    Ry

Global Posts
    8,582 Global Posts

That still doesn't change the fact that they have the right to refuse to sell to anyone.
    Android Central Moderator

Motorola Moto X (212.55.26.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Motorola Moto G (210.12.41.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.4)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KTU84P, KitKat 4.4.4)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast