Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 67 of 67
Like Tree40Likes
  1. #51  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by thamenacing1 View Post
    If you go through the activation on VZW.com, the first step is to use Verizon Backup to backup the data from the original phone. Then when the Droid DNA was activated, I assumed it used the Verizon Backup app which is already installed to import the contacts. Pretty painless and my wife was happy with the process...
    The problem with Vz' Backup Assistant is that it's always running in the background and uses up both ram and battery power every time it refeshes. I suppose it's fine to get the contacts in there if they weren't already associated with a gmail account but now that she has a gmail account (to access the Play Store, etc.) it would really be a much better idea if she associated all those contacts with her gmail account. No matter what smartphone she eveer moves to on whatever carrier she'll always have all of her contacts as soon as she signs into gmail.
  2. #52  
    mtmjr90's Avatar

    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by tech_head View Post
    The correct way to buy a phone with no service is to buy it claiming that you want to give it as a gift to your relative that is a Verizon customer.
    No activation required. No hassles.
    Tried that, they then asked why my relative doesn't just buy it himself. I repeated that it was a gift. They then asked why I don't just go with him to the store to get it when I want to give it to him. I said he lives in another state. They then asked if he was currently a Verizon customer. I said yes. They asked what his number was. At this point, I could tell they didn't believe me and just circled back to, "Look, I want to buy the phone full retail, however you want to make that happen, I don't care. All I want is to walk out of here with that phone in my hand and without a contract." (You can refer to my prior post to see how it all went down...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    That still doesn't change the fact that they have the right to refuse to sell to anyone.
    No argument on that point. But this right does not change the fact that it is poor customer service and overall poor business acumen to do so. Spoiling even a potential customer's good opinion can be much more costly than selling this one phone without a contract/service.
  3. #53  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by rickydavis1051 View Post
    Actually the customer has a RIGHT to buy whatever he wants from them. Verizon was in the wrong. So happy I left them

    Sent from my S3 from AT&T
    No. The customer doesn't have a RIGHT.

    This "customer is always right" BS is the worst thing to ever happen to retail. It's simply an excuse for customers to abuse staff to get their own way. The customer is not always right. Period. And you do not have a right to buy something if it's against policy. Period.

    Also, there's two sides to this. Everyone is jumping all over the sales rep when for all we know his wife behaved like a toddler. Just saying. I could claim to walk into Verizon tomorrow and be helped by a three headed unicorn. Doesn't make it true.

    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Ry, Ezduzit and kurosenpai like this.
  4. #54  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by mtmjr90 View Post
    Exactly. Not only that, even if I clearly admitted to wanting to use it on another network, it's still in both Verizon's as well as that particular store's best interest to sell it to me. Instead, I now have a strong negative opinion of Verizon as a whole (which I did not have before). As the guy who pretty much everyone in my family as well as most of my friends ask for phone advice, that's not ideal. Yes, in the grand scheme of things, I'm insignificant, but it's still poor customer relations. Not only that, if for any reason I do end up using Verizon in the future, you better believe I will not be going to that store.
    Really? It's in the best interest of the store to sell a phone outright, let it walk out and be activated on another network?

    If it was the last phone there and a Verizon customer walked in and asked for that phone and the store couldn't provide their client with it because some schmo just bought the last one to use with another company, that's in Verizon's best interest?

    Ooooookay.

    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by 3:
    jreed2560, Ezduzit and kurosenpai like this.
  5. #55  
    mtmjr90's Avatar

    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    No. The customer doesn't have a RIGHT.

    This "customer is always right" BS is the worst thing to ever happen to retail. It's simply an excuse for customers to abuse staff to get their own way. The customer is not always right. Period.
    Please do provide empirical evidence that this is indeed the case. Because having studied Marketing and having worked in retail, customer service and marketing, you are wrong. On aggregate, the benefits from customer retention far outweigh the small losses from giving the customer small concessions.

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    And you do not have a right to buy something if it's against policy. Period.
    And again I ask, as I did the store manager who refused to sell me the DNA on these grounds, please show me where in Verizon's policy is says that I cannot (or in the OP's case, his wife cannot) buy a phone full retail.
  6. #56  
    mtmjr90's Avatar

    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    Really? It's in the best interest of the store to sell a phone outright, let it walk out and be activated on another network?

    If it was the last phone there and a Verizon customer walked in and asked for that phone and the store couldn't provide their client with it because some schmo just bought the last one to use with another company, that's in Verizon's best interest?
    First off, it wasn't their last phone. Not even close. I could understand this argument if it was closer to release day and supplies were constrained.

    Second, that's a very short-sighted view on long-term customer value.
  7. #57  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    And I work daily in customer service in a retail environment and see people abuse staff because 'they are always right'. Guess what. They aren't. And I will not contradict policy because a customer pitched a fit st me to get their way because they think they can get away with it because they are 'always right'.

    I studied business administration marketing, and I've worked in customer service for over 20 years. The idea that a customer is 'always right' had been twisted into a weapon by some and given some a false sense of entitlement.

    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Thanked by:
    Ry and kurosenpai like this.
  8. #58  

    Default Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by rickydavis1051 View Post
    Actually the customer has a RIGHT to buy whatever he wants from them. Verizon was in the wrong. So happy I left them

    Sent from my S3 from AT&T
    No they don't. Verizon can refuse any sale at any time. Just like any other retailer.
  9. #59  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Not trying to really take sides or hijack this thread, but I buy quite a bit of stuff online for the convenience and ease of delivery. Of course, I use a lot of public transportation and don't own a car either But, are there many advantages to buying a phone at a store anyway?

    I can understand if someone is unsure of what to buy, takes a chance to play with the hardware, and wants to go home with a phone all in one trip, but I imagine the OP already had his mind made up.

    I always order from the Verizon website because I like the fact that Verizon corporate will stand behind me if there is a problem.

    Obviously, online shopping doesn't work if you are buying perishable goods or produce, or have an immediate need, like running out of toilet paper, but, unless it dies or stolen, I would rather just order a phone online and avoid the store experience.

    Other than being able to play with the goods or use for tech support if needed, what advantage does the store offer?
    Last edited by diesteldorf; 01-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.
  10. #60  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Not trying to really take sides or hijack this thread, but I buy quite a bit of stuff online for the convenience and ease of delivery. Of course, I use a lot of public transportation and don't own a car either But, are their many advantages to buying a phone at a store anyway?

    I can understand if someone is unsure of what to buy, takes a chance to play with the hardware, and wants to go home with a phone all in one trip, but I imagine the OP already had his mind made up.

    I always order from the Verizon website because I like the fact that Verizon corporate will stand behind me if there is a problem.

    Obviously, online shopping doesn't work if you are buying perishable goods or produce, or have an immediate need, like running out of toilet paper, but, unless it dies or stolen, I would rather just order a phone online and avoid the store experience.

    Other than being able to play with the goods or use for tech support if needed, what advantage does the store offer?
    This!
    Agreed.
  11. #61  
    mtmjr90's Avatar

    Posts
    277 Posts
    Global Posts
    697 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock (for now)

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by diesteldorf View Post
    Not trying to really take sides or hijack this thread, but I buy quite a bit of stuff online for the convenience and ease of delivery. Of course, I use a lot of public transportation and don't own a car either But, are their many advantages to buying a phone at a store anyway?

    I can understand if someone is unsure of what to buy, takes a chance to play with the hardware, and wants to go home with a phone all in one trip, but I imagine the OP already had his mind made up.

    I always order from the Verizon website because I like the fact that Verizon corporate will stand behind me if there is a problem.

    Obviously, online shopping doesn't work if you are buying perishable goods or produce, or have an immediate need, like running out of toilet paper, but, unless it dies or stolen, I would rather just order a phone online and avoid the store experience.

    Other than being able to play with the goods or use for tech support if needed, what advantage does the store offer?
    For me...impatience Can't speak for the OP though.
  12. #62  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Some unlucky people here. I was able to call verizon and get my upgrade to the dna 25 days early. First lady tried to tell me that it and the s3 were on the restricted list. Called back and spoke with someone else and had my DNA in 2 days. Oh and I still have unlimited, even with paying the discounted price for the upgrade.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
  13. #63  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    No. The customer doesn't have a RIGHT.

    This "customer is always right" BS is the worst thing to ever happen to retail. It's simply an excuse for customers to abuse staff to get their own way. The customer is not always right. Period. And you do not have a right to buy something if it's against policy. Period.

    Also, there's two sides to this. Everyone is jumping all over the sales rep when for all we know his wife behaved like a toddler. Just saying. I could claim to walk into Verizon tomorrow and be helped by a three headed unicorn. Doesn't make it true.

    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by reeneebob View Post
    Really? It's in the best interest of the store to sell a phone outright, let it walk out and be activated on another network?

    If it was the last phone there and a Verizon customer walked in and asked for that phone and the store couldn't provide their client with it because some schmo just bought the last one to use with another company, that's in Verizon's best interest?

    Ooooookay.

    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mtmjr90 View Post
    Please do provide empirical evidence that this is indeed the case. Because having studied Marketing and having worked in retail, customer service and marketing, you are wrong. On aggregate, the benefits from customer retention far outweigh the small losses from giving the customer small concessions.



    And again I ask, as I did the store manager who refused to sell me the DNA on these grounds, please show me where in Verizon's policy is says that I cannot (or in the OP's case, his wife cannot) buy a phone full retail.
    "The customer is always right" is a good business model to follow if you want to grow your business...it's common sense. Unfortunately, VZW already has a huge business, and while I'm sure they aim as best they can to continue to grow AND keep their current customers coming back, they do have the luxury of adopting policies that they know won't make every customer happy...because they know those policies will earn them more money than the resultant customer loss will cost them. The killing of unlimited data plans is a perfect example: Verizon had to know that a certain number of customers would leave to seek unlimited data elsewhere, but they also knew that those customers they'd be losing were the ones costing them the most by consuming high bandwidth (which is also why threatening to take your service elsewhere isn't always an effective strategy when trying to negotiate). I assure you that they have plenty of market research done that allows them to make decisions knowing full well that 100% customer retention will not be achieved.

    The problem with allowing a customer to walk in and buy a phone full retail with no contract presents 2 possible problems that I can think of off the top of my head: 1. salesperson commission. I can only assume that the person selling you the phone losses a commission by not getting you on a contract -- which is why they would probably be so persistent in you getting one, and also why they could care less if you walk out of the store empty handed if you're not willing (and probably not even care if it were to be a "gift" for a another Verizon customer). 2. Warranty and support. I'm sure Verizon has plenty of small print absolving them of their responsibility to provide support on a device once it's activated on another network, but I'm sure it's still a situation they wish to avoid altogether.

    Even if Verizon itself doesn't have a policy preventing you from buying a non-contract phone full retail, it doesn't surprise me that a local retail store isn't motivated to sell them. I'm not necessarily taking their side or defending them either, I'm just saying it is a business and they do have the right to refuse service. Stores have their own bottom line to think about -- and they make the bulk of their money selling long-term contracts; the phones themselves are just the eye candy that get customers in the store.

    There are plenty of great phones out there that are EASY to buy off contract, although they are mostly GSM (Nexus 4, anyone?), and the fact is that Verizon phones generally don't play well on other carrier's networks anyway, so it's also probably not a situation that salespersons at the stores deal with very often, if at all.

    I do sympathize with the OP, but I also don't feel that any consumer rights were necessarily violated and not that surprised by what happened. The only part of the story that really turned me off regarding the treatment you received is about how the wife was given a hard time and they wouldn't sell until the husband came in...although I do have to wonder if at that point the sales person realized that the both of you were willing to be persistent and decided at that point it would be easier to just get you what you wanted and out of the store so they could focus on other customers that would make them money? Who knows?

    Bottom line, if you really want to buy a Droid DNA with no contract, ordering online is probably the best way to go.
    Thanked by:
    Ry likes this.
  14. #64  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    So lets be honest here. You buy the DNA, you use it on whichever carrier you choose other than Verizon. Say your phone messes up or has an issue. Who are you going to to get it fixed?

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
  15. #65  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    You can't go to AT&T for a warranty replacement, and Verizon isn't going to want to support a phone on AT&Ts network, which is precisely why they don't want to sell it to you. It would be a headache to trouble shoot, and impossible to order the replacement if its needed because they would have to order the phone replacement under an active Verizon mtn.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
  16. #66  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    Quote Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
    You can't go to AT&T for a warranty replacement, and Verizon isn't going to want to support a phone on AT&Ts network, which is precisely why they don't want to sell it to you. It would be a headache to trouble shoot, and impossible to order the replacement if its needed because they would have to order the phone replacement under an active Verizon mtn.

    Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    I remember when the i9000M in Canada had a run with bad motherboards. Bell had the phone exclusively and people from other carriers were buying it to unlock because it was the international version. Well for the Bell clients when the recall happened, easy peasy sent in the phone, wait 12 weeks for samsung to decide they don't have enough parts for repair, send us new phones.

    The ones who didn't use the phone with Bell?

    Samsung told them to take it to the carrier. Since Bell wasn't their carrier... Well... You see where I'm going with this, right?

    Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
  17. #67  

    Default Re: Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

    I had the same issue when the Thunderbolt was released. They gave me a hard time about the outright buy as soon as I opened my mouth about it. I told them if you don't wish to sale the phone outright then why do you list the price. I was nice at the start because I know how it is to deal with people from a sales stand point. As time past I had to cut to the chase and pulled the" give me your corp. # and we'll see how they feel about taking my $. In the market today its ether treat the customers good or they will go someplace else. I understand there are customers that go way to far with an issue like this and need to never return to the business due to the issues they bring everytime they walk in. I'm not one of those hard headed people that need a foot in their exit hole. If you don't wish to sale it outright as listed on the paper next to the phone. Then don't list it so this issue isn't one as stated in this post. I love the DNA by the way:-P
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 07-04-2013, 02:37 PM
  2. Installation Error when Trying to Install 2.1
    By KTrentLR in forum Motorola Droid
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 11:48 AM
  3. black screen when trying to update to 2.1 eris
    By gypsy76#ac in forum Software Development and Hacking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-28-2010, 11:26 AM
  4. Constant rebooting when trying to flash ROM
    By wolf1989#AC in forum HTC Hero Rooting, ROMs, and Hacks
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-17-2010, 05:01 PM
  5. Phone freezes when trying to end a call.
    By redman213 in forum HTC Droid Eris
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-28-2009, 02:20 AM

Posting Permissions

B