Verizon Store gives a hard time when trying to buy a Droid DNA

thamenacing1

May 11, 2010
Visit site
My wife's contract was up and she wanted to get a new phone so I suggested getting a Droid DNA. She wanted to buy it outright for the $600 price because a) she no longer wanted to be under a contract, and b) we both wanted to keep our "grandfathered" unlimited data plan. I stayed in the car because our daughter was asleep.

About 10 minutes later, my wife came out of the store mad and told me to go in and give my information. I learned later that the saleswoman that she was dealing with had a hard time believing that my wife just wanted to buy the Droid DNA outright and pay the full price instead of getting on another contract. I don't know what the sales incentive is for getting people to change their plans, but she tried very hard to the point of aggravation to convince my wife to change our plan. She also tried to convince my wife that it is very difficult to activate a phone on our own without their help.

When I went in the store, the saleswoman did not say a word. She was borderline pleasant and finished the transaction without doing what she did to my wife. The activation process went over successfully without a hitch. The Verizon Backup service transferred her contacts and the activation through vzw.com was pretty painless.

Has anyone who tried to buy a DNA outright come across indignant salespeople?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
It probably has less to do with the phone and more to do with not wanting to change your plan.

thamenacing1

May 11, 2010
Visit site
I believe that was the case too, but I don't understand if someone comes in and wants to pay for the phone at their listed price, why all of the trouble? Just sell the phone and keep moving...Also, the saleswoman found it hard to believe that we could afford a $600 phone. I'm not sure what that was about either...

NotJustAPhone

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
It's possible that Verizon's commission structure pays more for getting customers to renew their contracts, rather than selling the phone outright. Getting customers locked in for another two years is important to Verizon. Plus, I'm sure there's a big push to get people off unlimited data and on a tiered plan.

Sent from my SGSIII

pingplayer01

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
It's possible that Verizon's commission structure pays more for getting customers to renew their contracts, rather than selling the phone outright. Getting customers locked in for another two years is important to Verizon. Plus, I'm sure there's a big push to get people off unlimited data and on a tiered plan.

Sent from my SGSIII

Yes, that is very true. Verizon sales people don't make any money on a customer who buys a phone outright. They make their money on getting a customer to upgrade.

Jude526

Trusted Member
Dec 13, 2010
Visit site
That salesperson was rude. She should have done what the customer asked for. So she caused a woman aggravation to the point her husband had to deal with her. I would had been all over that saleswoman. I won't be walked on. She must had thought she wouldn't get anywhere with her husband. I always gave the customer what they wanted to buy whether contract or outright purchase. Its customer service. She should be written up for her lack of service. That's ridiculous

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Android Central Forums

ddsdavid

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
I activated mine on another line and had it transferred to my number to keep my unlimited data. The Verizon rep went so far as to say that it would void my warranty. I asked to see that in writing. He got his manager and the manager said "I cannot locate the document that say that, but you will NOT get warranty service in THIS corporate store". I replied, "I don't care, in six months you probably won't be employed here anyway".

TvTechGuru

Nov 25, 2009
Visit site
A coworker of mine had the same exact problem with Sprint. He had a phone get damaged and instead of going through any insurance or replacement procedures he went into a Sprint store to buy a new phone outright. The salesperson had a hard time believing he actually wanted to buy it at full price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Never had issues buying phones outright. Purchased the sgs3 32g outright not long ago with zero issues. Only had to ask once to leave the activation to me as well. That employee needs to be written up. Uncalled for.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

paulmike3

Jan 12, 2011
Visit site
You should have her name on the receipt. Call the store back, ask to talk to the store manager, then vent your frustration about how they salesperson was rude and treated your wife with no respect whatsoever. I would if that happened to my wife.

Tunnelrunner

Nov 8, 2008
Visit site
Last year, I bought an iPhone 5 outright from a local VZW store. Over a month ago, I bought a Note II outright from another VZW store. Both times, the salespeople were nothing but helpful and accommodating. Mind you - I *don't* have an unlimited plan and am on a tiered 4G plan. So - and I'm just speculating like everyone else - my guess is that this was just to get you off the unlimited plan and onto a tiered data plan. After all, isn't this the eventual future that AT&T and Verizon are pushing us towards?

At any rate, the saleswoman was unprofessional and rude and I'm glad I've (knock on wood) never had to deal with bad VZW employees before.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon Backup service transferred her contacts and the activation through vzw.com was pretty painless.

Why did she have to use that archaic Vz Backup Asst? Did she come from a dumb phone before? If she had an android device all her contacts would've been synched to her gmail account, no?

nDroid3

Dec 8, 2012
Visit site
This is why I buy from BestBuy and not from Verizon retail stores.
Verizon has always tried to get me to buy their whole store and a contract...I stopped buying phones from their stores about 5 years ago and the only reason why I actually had to go into their recently is to buy accessories for the DNA (screen protector).

Their phone customer support is awesome though.

jcochran1977

Sep 30, 2009
Visit site
I bought it outright when it originally came out and the sales lady tried to figure out a way to make it so I didn't have to pay full price but realized I didn't have any upgrades available and continues the transaction without issue.

I did however take the phone back and exchanged it for the RAZR M because the DNA was just too large :(

I miss it though cause the camera was much better ;(

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

thamenacing1

May 11, 2010
Visit site
Why did she have to use that archaic Vz Backup Asst? Did she come from a dumb phone before? If she had an android device all her contacts would've been synched to her gmail account, no?

If you go through the activation on VZW.com, the first step is to use Verizon Backup to backup the data from the original phone. Then when the Droid DNA was activated, I assumed it used the Verizon Backup app which is already installed to import the contacts. Pretty painless and my wife was happy with the process...

thamenacing1

May 11, 2010
Visit site
This is why I buy from BestBuy and not from Verizon retail stores.
Verizon has always tried to get me to buy their whole store and a contract...I stopped buying phones from their stores about 5 years ago and the only reason why I actually had to go into their recently is to buy accessories for the DNA (screen protector).

Their phone customer support is awesome though.

I never had an issue with them before this whole data plan change mess. I actually wanted my wife to purchase the phone from Amazon Wireless instead of going to a Verizon store, but she wanted the phone at that instance (instead of waiting a day or two). Although I dislike Best Buy a little, I would suggest to her next time that we go there to purchase the phone. I remember she purchased her Palm Centro from them at full price with no issues at all.

Lactose The Intolerant

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site

Not everyone knows to sync to Google rather than saving contacts to the phone... in fact, the default when inputting a new contact is to 'phone' -- you have to change it via the dropdown up top in order to save to Google account >.<

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2