Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Interested in the Xperia Z?

As the DNA was announced, there was plenty of backlash about two things in particular:
    • Storage
    • Battery

One of those was later proven to be premature (we know which), but the other certainly had good reason. It was a deal-breaker for many, but the Xperia Z fixes those qualms.

The DNA has 16gb with no expandable storage; the Xperia Z will have 16 (I have read accounts of it having either 16 or 32, but 16 was more common) with expandable.
    With battery, the DNA had 2,020mAh, but the Xperia Z is to have 2,330 and the ZL 2,370.

With those who turned away the DNA because of those two issues, is the Xperia Z something you would consider instead?
    And for those who have a DNA, is it something you would consider switching for? I believe I already know the answer for most of you with that though.

I also heard confirmation that it would be coming to Verizon sometime (I suspect a variant), but as far as that's concerned, dismiss it as nothing but a rumor for now.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

Default Re: Interested in the Xperia Z?

I'd rather have the ZL over the Z. They both look very nice though.

Are these phones to be released on Verizon?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

The Z and ZL look like great phones. It would certainly surprise me if Sony would bring a variant of it to Verizon. Even if it did, hopefully Big Red won't ask for a bastardized design as they tend to do to "differentiate" their products...iPhone and the GSIII being exceptions.

I'm not really interested in the glass back of the Z, however. I always thought glass used on the back of a phone was a poor design choice even if it does make the phone look and feel premium. Too many Nexus 4 and iPhone 4/4S horror stories.
  5. Thread Author  Thread Author    #5  

Quote Originally Posted by jreed2560 View Post
    Are these phones to be released on Verizon?
    It hasn't been officially announced.

Quote Originally Posted by Mooem View Post
    The Z and ZL look like great phones. It would certainly surprise me if Sony would bring a variant of it to Verizon. Even if it did, hopefully Big Red won't ask for a bastardized design as they tend to do to "differentiate" their products...iPhone and the GSIII being exceptions.

I'm not really interested in the glass back of the Z, however. I always thought glass used on the back of a phone was a poor design choice even if it does make the phone look and feel premium. Too many Nexus 4 and iPhone 4/4S horror stories.
    I would be surprised too since only the Xperia T has seen some sort of release in the US, but they could be trying to finally strengthen their presence if it were to happen. I'm interested in the Z, but I doubt the variant would come out unscathed. I'm not too worried about it taking over the DNA though, since I believe it was reported to be the same price as the Note II in the UK, and it might translate that price over. It would pretty much be the more expensive DNA with more storage and battery that people said were willing to pay more for.

Glass backs aren't really that big of a concern for me since I tend to be super careful (besides flipping it around like crazy), but I've always understood the issue for others.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

It's a cool phone mo doubt, but not enough to make me switch. However, with the announcement that octo-core phones are going to be released this summer.... Well there's a solid reason for me to ake a trip back to the vzw store

Unless you really like the design, there's really no reason to get the Xperia Z over the DNA. The DNA has the far superior display, and the software on Sony phones has never been good or that smooth. The sotware problems also make the extra 300mah of battery less of a big deal. What is a big deal, however, is the 13MP Exmor RS sensor. It's a proper next gen camera that takes better pictures than anything on the market right now (excluding Nokia Pureview), especially in low light. The video capture and sound is also a tier above the pack. You will be buying the phone for its imaging if nothing else, However, photos won't look that great on that non-IPS rather washed out display with poor viewing angles. If you can wait a bit later in the year, other phones will start popping up that use the RS sensor. The iPhone and Galaxy S3 both use sony sensors, and unless they develop something of their own, will probably be using them this year as well.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Quote Originally Posted by katamari201 View Post
    Unless you really like the design, there's really no reason to get the Xperia Z over the DNA. The DNA has the far superior display, and the software on Sony phones has never been good or that smooth. The sotware problems also make the extra 300mah of battery less of a big deal. What is a big deal, however, is the 13MP Exmor RS sensor. It's a proper next gen camera that takes better pictures than anything on the market right now (excluding Nokia Pureview), especially in low light. The video capture and sound is also a tier above the pack. You will be buying the phone for its imaging if nothing else, However, photos won't look that great on that non-IPS rather washed out display with poor viewing angles. If you can wait a bit later in the year, other phones will start popping up that use the RS sensor. The iPhone and Galaxy S3 both use sony sensors, and unless they develop something of their own, will probably be using them this year as well.
    I'll agree that from Alex's hands-on, it looked like the DNA had a better screen, but the DNA has one of the best screens out there, so it's not really surprising, and that doesn't necessarily mean it's horrible. I've also read that Sony has slimmed down the UI and improved it. MicroSD card support is a reason. It's all about trade-offs, and what's more valuable to someone.

I don't use my phone to examine photos though; I transfer them to my computer for that. The screens are so small that as long as it's sorta decent, it'll look fine. I don't really understand the issue with viewing angles. If you actually use your device at a 30+ degree angle all the time, there's no fault besides your own. I have a very green background on my Thunderbolt, but when I view it from the side, it looks almost yellow, so I combat that by holding the phone right. I'm just not sure why people make it seem like such a big deal, when it's hardly as practical as they make it seem. The only time I can really see it being useful is if you're showing a group of people a picture, but if your friends are anything like mine, they'll take my phone, or adjust it to where they can see well anyway. And, if it was me personally, I'd rather someone send me a picture then try to get me to stare at their small phone screen that they are holding three feet away from my face.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

Nothing from Sony interests me because they have a track record for having awful phones. I would see if they really improved their quality in day to day usage then wait on the next generation of Xperia devices.

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock!

Not something I would switch for, and as much as I like Sony devices I don't see any real compelling reason to choose it over the DNA if they were next to each other. Maybe once the device is available my answer would change... Seeing is believing.

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

Quote Originally Posted by MrRicks84 View Post
    Nothing from Sony interests me because they have a track record for having awful phones. I would see if they really improved their quality in day to day usage then wait on the next generation of Xperia devices.
    It's not so much that they are awful, it's just that they've typically been outdated. I believe they were releasing single core phones when others were on the new dual core Snapdragons. They released devices on GB when others were on ICS, and ICS when others were JB. This is one of the first devices they have made which is not only up to date, but also at the very top spec-wise.
    Mentor @ FRC# 3999

Quote Originally Posted by Prinny Mask View Post
    It's not so much that they are awful, it's just that they've typically been outdated. I believe they were releasing single core phones when others were on the new dual core Snapdragons. They released devices on GB when others were on ICS, and ICS when others were JB. This is one of the first devices they have made which is not only up to date, but also at the very top spec-wise.
    Well yeah that is true. I may have exaggerated my statement a little lol