Looking For Input On If I've Got A Lemon DNA

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
I just purchased a DNA a few days ago and I'm pretty close to returning it. I've read a ton of review and forum posts, most of which extol the performance of the DNA. This is leading me to believe that I've got a bum DNA. I'd love to get some input so I can determine if It's worth exchanging the DNA .

Here are the things that make me think I have a defective device:

1) The phone froze and rebooted 2 times when I first got it (once while I was just setting up a pin#)
2) The phone lagged horribly doing just about everything. The 2 things that stand out the most was that there was no smoothness expanding notifications in the notification dropdown (it was extremely jerky) Also, Chrome lagged much more than it did on my wife's Note 2 (it even lagged more than Chrome on my iPad)
3) Notifications were delayed (this was sporadic and tough to correlate)

I did a factory reset and that helped significantly with the reboots and lagging in the notification screen. However, there was still way more lag than there should be with a quad core processor, 2GB RAM and running Android 4.1 . I've had other Android phones (HTC OneX, Samsung Galaxy Nexus are the most recent) and this phone lagged more than any other I've used. I also noticed that when I looked at my free memory, I only had 480MB free, which seemed odd. Also, Sense was consistently using 21% of my battery.

I know that Sense can be a bit of a hog, but there's not way there should be any lag on such a spec'd up phone running Android 4.1. I have to admit that I just don't like the latest version of Sense. I had the HTC OneX and I think Sense went downhill with the latest version. Specifically, the email client seems much worse at displaying HTML email. I'll also admit that I have little tolerance for lag in my phones.

I guess the question is, am I complaining these non issues and the lag is just me being overly picky or do these issues sound abnormal, in which case I'll just exchange the DNA for a new one.

I appreciate any information provided !

coach5150

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Sounds like a lemon to me. Never a reboot, smooth as silk. I am sure most will agree with me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

ecb1171

Oct 9, 2009
Visit site
FYI....
I returned the DNA. I came close to exchanging it for a Razr Maxx HD because I found the Moto software to be much better than Sense. However, the design and killer specs of the DNA convinced me to get another DNA.

The new DNA performs much more efficiently, but some of the issues that I hoped were due to a bad DNA were just Sense. I like the advanced lockscreen options (though with Android 4.2, they'll be useless soon) and I like the tight integration of contacts and history with each contact (i.e. calls, texts) . Beyond that, I dislike the overhead of Sense and I don't see what Sense beings to the table as far as additional functionality; overall, I'm not a fan of Sense. That being said, HTC knows how to make a great camera and a great radio (reception on the DNA is exceptional)

Even now, I'm trying to make the determination if the awesome hardware of the DNA outweighs the bad software. If it doesn't, for me, then I'll return the DNA and wait for the S4 to come out over the summer.

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried a third party launcher? I think you would enjoy the phone much more with Nova or Apex

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried a third party launcher? I think you would enjoy the phone much more with Nova or Apex

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

This. I switched from the stock sense to the Apex launcher and it's been great. I tried nova but it permanently hid my dock everytime I unlocked my phone and there was no feature checked off to hide the dock so I stopped using it. Was a very quick and snappy launcher though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bjammmin007