Camera settings

jdtftp1

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
I am not very impressed by the camera on the DNA inside places. Has anyone tweaked the settings or anything to improve the picture quality and if so how. Or is there a camera app to download that is better. Thanks

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Even with white balance/ISO tweaks on the default camera app, I'm not terribly impressed. The typical defense I hear for the DNA's camera is, 'don't use it like a point-and-shoot, you don't know how to alter settings therefore your images are crap'. I'm not expecting SLR/MILC quality, or even modern POS quality, but it's still underwhelming. A relatively decent camera in and of itself, but for a next-gen phone (or even high-quality 2012 phone) HTC definitely skimped on the camera hardware.

I have Camera FV-5--a lot more controls and an intuitive interface, but you should try the free version first (same thing, just produce low-res images). The main drawback is that it's a little laggy. e.g., shutter takes forever regardless of settings; even on continuous shutter mode w/ a short shutter speed, you still get like, 1FPS tops.

PROS:
-AF Lock: one thing that seriously bothers me about this camera is that its autofocus is always off for me. I wish I had another camera handy to document this; I'll press where I want to focus, and it will reach the optimal focal length BUT seriously overshoot or undershoot--even when the focal length is uniform throughout, like a wall. I have to press like 10 times to get it right on the 10th time. AF lock at least ensures I can get the image in focus if I physically move the camera. This came in handy when I wanted to take a macro of a spider, but the focus didn't recognize its existence. Locked the focus, and manually moved the camera to get the attached shot.
-shutter speed control: if you want that minute-long night shot with light painting, or whatever you'd want a custom shutter speed for. Though, I've tried moving the camera with a long-ish shutter speed, and you get a lot of artifact/pixelation--looks more like you layered 10 images together than something you'd get out of an slr.
-save as PNG's for lossless photo capture--obviously no RAW, but it's nice to have as an option
-custom settings: e.g. location, photo numbering pattern or photo prefixes. custom parameters (saturation, sharpness); live histogram, etc.
-you can set volume buttons as autofocus/shutter. helps reduce camera shake because can steadily grip with both hands, instead of tapping the screen.

CONS:
-$4! really not worth $4 IMO, but I got it just because I couldn't find anything similar.
-slow to start up, compared to default cam. definitely not what you'd use to capture that perfect spur-of-the-moment shot.
-shutter is slow to perform, regardless of shutter speed. it's just that when you press the shutter button, it takes a second to actually TAKE the picture.

Obviously, it can't make the hardware outperform its limitations. But it's a good app to have if you want ultimate customization. I really don't hate or even dislike the DNA's camera, but there was room for improvement. Not saying this pic is amazing, but without AF Lock it would have been literally impossible to capture this little guy. He wasn't even that little..

Attachments

• DSC_0064.jpg
    DSC_0064.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 37

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I posted these pictures in the thread linked in this one. These are just quick snaps where I pulled out my phone and took some pics. They honestly aren't that bad and are on par with the iphone 4 I used to have.

IMAG0026_1.jpg

IMAG0007.jpg

IMG_20130114_165104.jpg

RLGL1

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
what I have found:
Manually set the camera for each shoot, It is not a "point and shoot"
For most pix, set the saturation to -1 contrast +1, sharpness +1
For darker areas indoors, change the exposure to +1
Auto flash is not your friend, experiment with the settings
Look at the screen wysiwig, factor in the flash. If you don't like it change the settings.
It helps if one is familiar with DSLR's

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
I posted these pictures in the thread linked in this one. These are just quick snaps where I pulled out my phone and took some pics. They honestly aren't that bad and are on par with the iphone 4 I used to have.

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu142/06wranglersport/IMAG0026_1.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu142/06wranglersport/IMAG0007.jpg

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu142/06wranglersport/IMG_20130114_165104.jpg

I agree. The camera only suffers in low light situations

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Wow silvrstone, those really impressed me, especially at FULL SIZE on the computer (most pics just look good on the DNA lol). Great shots and great showing the true capability of the camera!

I think it's just pretty bad in low light, it's great in other areas...not iPhone great, but if you're that serious about it, get a DSLR!