Camera Unable to Start?

geoggirl

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Anyone else have experience with this issue? It just stopped working yesterday and I get the message "Camera Unable to Start" and am also unable to shoot from Instgram, says it is unable to connect to camera. Camera is about six weeks old...

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
Try going into settings>applications>select all>find thw camera application and then hit the buttons clear data and clear defaults then force stop. Then go ad try opening the camera app and if it doesn't work you may need to reset/wipe the phone which will erase everything on your phone you could also take it in to a Verizon store but I'm pretty sure they'll try the reset.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I'm pretty sure they'll have you reset your phone so make sure to save any pictures or anything else you don't want to lose forever.

guigzz

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Had same problem. Changed to another camera app, still no difference. So I did the same and did a simple soft reset. All good now.

Kipsee

Jun 30, 2014
Visit site
I have had this problem on my DNA for months now (Camera unable to Start), tried all of the above, it might start after a reset (any type), but goes back into freeze land after a few hours. Any suggestions? Has anyone contacted Carrier (Verizon in my case) ?

Northstr99

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
I too have been suffering great fits of Terret's Syndrome caused by my <Terret's Syndrome here> HTC DNA. I hate that thing. Every time I turn around it's something else with it - first the SIM card, then varying and fickle data reception (NOT coverage - RECEPTION!) and now the camera has decided to give me the finger as well. It just went south for no particular reason as of Saturday, and would come back to life with a restart or a off/on cycle, or if it was plugged in to my car charger but not alone, or if I held my tongue just right and balanced on my left foot while spinning counterclockwise and reciting Lewis Carrol backwards. Now no dice at all, camera is stone dead no matter what I try, including downloading a different camera as a workaround. It talked to my stock camera and sided with it, giving me the finger straigh out of the box as well without so much as even a "howdoyoudo" first. Damned things. I hate this <more Terret's Syndrom here> phone.

Worst.
Phone.
Ever.

rxgadget

Aug 8, 2010
Visit site
I have had this problem on my DNA for months now (Camera unable to Start), tried all of the above, it might start after a reset (any type), but goes back into freeze land after a few hours. Any suggestions? Has anyone contacted Carrier (Verizon in my case) ?
Have you tried the standard answer factory reset? Do you have insurance on this phone line with Verizon?

Sorry for long post.... end answer call Verizon on separate phone using 800#

As long as your phone is in good condition no water damage or screen cracks you have options.
1. If you have been paying the $6 (now more $) service fee calm VZW from another phone tell them the camera is not working and whatever else isn't working right they will allow you to swap into a Factory Referbished Unit (FRU).
Must have been patient the extended feed alan along..
2. If have just the Assurion coverage workout the extra fees they can offer to let you pay $? to swap out with a FRU.

Story : wife's HTC Inc 2 crashed and had water damage. Once it finally went I switched her phone with my Inc 2. Couple months later she couldn't make phone calls, did factory reset and would make calls even with no extra app. Called Verizon and explained it all. He said she wasn't paying the extended service fee. I went a little angry but stayed calm and said she and I both have always had it. End of story he fixed it and couldn't send her a Inc 2 because no FRU. Would she mind a HTC DNA instead. She now has a HTC DNA working great. She is off contact on her phone and she now likes the bigger screen so she now is considering upgrading when Moto X+ comes around.

Bottom line call Verizon explain problems. They silk suggest a factory reset so be prepared...

dnafog

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site
Try going into settings>applications>select all>find thw camera application and then hit the buttons clear data and clear defaults then force stop.
Thanx
This worked for me after a soft reset and deleting the last useless pics because the camera froze on the first image after opening. I suspected a check deposit app or QR Droid since it first occured when using QR Droid after a recent update to that app. Hope it lasts
YooHoo :cool:

Marissa Montano

Sep 21, 2014
Visit site
I have a Droid mini Motorola phone and every time I try to use my camera it says "CAMERA BUSY camera unable to start. If this repeats please power off your phone and restart." I really do not want to restart my phone but I am useless without my camera! What can I do??

Zoostation

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
I've had camera problems since late January where I can only use the front facing in a limited fashion. Soft reset and FDR did nothing for it. After reading a few threads including this one today I tried clearing the app data, clearing defaults (it said there were no defaults set) and force stopping. Now the camera won't start at all. Powering on an off nor soft reset is helping. I've also tried to boot into safe mode but I can't get into it. It starts to boot and then reboots into normal mode without ever going into safe mode. I've also noticed that I had only 16kb in camera data and cache before clearing it and when i restart the phone it reverts back to 16kb immediately. Not sure if that means anything. Ugh this is frustrating, as if the sim card problems aren't bad enough. My 2 years is up and I'm ready for an S6, but right now I'm stuck with this until my family decides whether we are staying with Verizon or not (it's too expensive for me to leave the family plan).

Odunayo Olowe

Sep 17, 2015
Visit site
Anyone found a solution to this? It's really hurting to have this experience with this good looking phone. I have tried all suggested in the threads. Still UNABLE TO START CAMERA.

Suzal bazyu

Sep 26, 2015
Visit site
My camara also just stopped working of htc one m8 yesterday and I get the message "Camera Unable to Start" and am also unable to shoot from Instgram, says it is unable to connect to camera.

073073dhaval

Dec 2, 2015
Visit site
i tried soft reset that is restart your phone with restart option...and its working... thank you..
someone tried it before and i am thankful to the person who suggested this solution...

EricM2

May 1, 2017
Visit site
FWIW, after trying every other solution listed on every forum on the whole Internet (or so it feels;)) I found my issue. Amazingly, it's the Auto-Fill enabled setting in Keepass:eek:. Another forum mentioned LastPass, and as Keepass will do the same, I disabled it. Camera instantly working fine.

How the *** does that have anything to do with the camera? But right now it works!!!!! :D:):D

EricM2

May 1, 2017
Visit site
And now it's broken again... :(

So back to square one. Now I have to find which app I updated broke it... :(

@HTC - your hardware - any fixes?

The thing I Don't get is that if I use OpenCamera, I can at least change it to the front facing Camera.... which works.

Time for a new phone?

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance