Have: iPhone5, Curious About: Droid DNA - convince me to switch

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I charged the phone to 100% and let it sit overnight for about 7.5 hours. When I woke up, it was at 86%. The battery life leaves something to be desired IMO.

You can leave it on the charger. Once it hits "full" it just runs off the AC and doesnt charge the battery. Sort of like a trickle charger. And fwiw, ive been averaging around 11-13 hours to a charge. For this device, thats not bad at all.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

dch176

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
You can leave it on the charger. Once it hits "full" it just runs off the AC and doesnt charge the battery. Sort of like a trickle charger. And fwiw, ive been averaging around 11-13 hours to a charge. For this device, thats not bad at all.

Right. I'm not an idiot. I wanted to see how much the battery drained with no activity whatsoever.

jerrykur

Sep 30, 2010
Visit site
I like the cover because I do wireless charging. Another cool DNA feature. Keeps the phone nice and clean looking.

Agreed. My evo was always getting lint in the USB port. With the DNA and wireless charging there is no reason to have the port exposed. I like wireless charging so much I am having it built into a drawer where I will dropoff my phone.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Try these two things on your iPhone then return here:

1. Change the default browser from Safari to a different browser.

2. Email yourself a pdf file and then open the file in a different app.

OK... now that you're back, I apologize for asking you to do something on your iPhone that you can't do. iOS wont let you change default app settings nor does it let apps share information with each other. The DNA... and for that matter, any android phone, will let you change the default app settings and lets apps share files amongst themselves.

To me the iPhone is a feature phone that happens to run apps. If you want a "smart" phone, go android. The DNA, IMO, has the panache of the iPhone and is tons more smarter.

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site

OK... now that you're back, I apologize for asking you to do something on your iPhone that you can't do. iOS wont let you change default app settings nor does it let apps share information with each other. The DNA... and for that matter, any android phone, will let you change the default app settings and lets apps share files amongst themselves.

To me the iPhone is a feature phone that happens to run apps. If you want a "smart" phone, go android. The DNA, IMO, has the panache of the iPhone and is tons more smarter.

We also get to enjoy any kind of keyboard we want!!

dch176

Oct 9, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, Droid DNA. This just isn't working out. It's not me. It's you. I'm going back to my ex, the iPhone 5.

Prefer DNA to iPhone 5:
-big screen!
-blaaaaaaaazing fast
-notifications are better

Unfortunately, that's pretty much where it ends.

Deal Breakers:

-atrociously poor battery life, and slow to recharge too
-poor screen brightness and weak viewing angles
-odd cropping of pictures required to set wallpaper
-hard to access power button
-lousy sound if watching something without headphones, as the speaker is on the rear of the device

For me, the iPhone remains the superior device when all things are considered.

Seacrest, out.

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Wonder what he was doing with his DNA. Mine lasts as long as my buddies iP5 and I am on it more. I literally have none of these issues, apart from the reach for the power button. Too bad for him I guess...

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Sorry, Droid DNA. This just isn't working out. It's not me. It's you. I'm going back to my ex, the iPhone 5.

Prefer DNA to iPhone 5:
-big screen!
-blaaaaaaaazing fast
-notifications are better

Unfortunately, that's pretty much where it ends.

Deal Breakers:

-atrociously poor battery life, and slow to recharge too
-poor screen brightness and weak viewing angles

-odd cropping of pictures required to set wallpaper
-hard to access power button
-lousy sound if watching something without headphones, as the speaker is on the rear of the device

For me, the iPhone remains the superior device when all things are considered.

Seacrest, out.

Wow... I never heard of this phone having issues with viewing angles or brightness!! As far as battery life, I get 20 hrs with moderate use. Those issues may be a defective phone or the user lol.

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Wonder what he was doing with his DNA. Mine lasts as long as my buddies iP5 and I am on it more. I literally have none of these issues, apart from the reach for the power button. Too bad for him I guess...

Maybe hes watching too much pron on it?? Haha who knows. But mine too lasts as long if not longer than my friends 4s and 5 and I use mine more. Maybe OP is just too used to iOS and doesnt like having to manage stuff himself. And viewing angles, seriously? Also comparable with my old iphone same with brightness.

rafaelluik

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Right. I'm not an idiot. I wanted to see how much the battery drained with no activity whatsoever.
"No activity" doesn't exist. During the night the phone may have been left in a place where mobile signal is week and it had to keep using power to locate a mobile phone tower, also you may have left an app keeping it awake.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
"viewing angles" has to be about the most stupid argument I've heard as of yet. And boy did I call this one. If you need "convincing" then you have no compelling reason to switch. Which only leads to complaining

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
"viewing angles" has to be about the most stupid argument I've heard as of yet. And boy did I call this one. If you need "convincing" then you have no compelling reason to switch. Which only leads to complaining

Im convinced he was just looking for a reason to talk crap about it. Typical applehead, he didnt even have it for a week!!!

I lol'd at viewing angles. If you have trouble looking at this gorgeous screen at any angle then you need your eyes checked.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Just to clarify, with iOS 6 you can open PDFs in any app that has been updated for iOS 6 APIs. Similarly, theres a new 'Open in' option in the iOS sharing menu that will allow you to open most everything in any app that uses the correct APIs. They don't let you set the default browser, but that doesn't matter because they all use safaris rendering engine anyways.

JHBThree

Feb 15, 2012
Visit site

Hey, he tried it. That's more than you get with most people who need convincing. I can see the viewing angle thing though, because of how the glass is designed. That nice curved edge creates some distortion compared to the iPhone or any other phone with a flat face. The brightness complaint I've seen in a few different reviews. (Probably a similar issue to the 3rd gen iPad, where brightness was dialed back to reduce heat output and energy drain)

In all fairness to him as well, the iPhone 5 is pretty good. I've lived with one since September and have been generally pleased. I definitely wouldn't turn down a DNA though. (It's on the short list for my next phone, though that depends on tmobiles LTE rollout)

croppz

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Idk. Something about the 5 feels off to me. I liked my 4 for the most part and definitely looked at the 5 when getting a new phone. It just feels weird to me. I guess they should have made it a little wider as well as longer.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Hey, he tried it. That's more than you get with most people who need convincing. I can see the viewing angle thing though, because of how the glass is designed. That nice curved edge creates some distortion compared to the iPhone or any other phone with a flat face.

Oh ya, I understand that. But when and why would someone ever want or need to look at their phone at a 60 degree angle. When you're using your phone your looking at the damn thing lol so why would it matter if you can look at it sideways and still read everything on the page? That's the argument I'm trying to make

kilofoxtrot

Feb 15, 2010
Visit site
Just to clarify, with iOS 6 you can open PDFs in any app that has been updated for iOS 6 APIs. Similarly, theres a new 'Open in' option in the iOS sharing menu that will allow you to open most everything in any app that uses the correct APIs. They don't let you set the default browser, but that doesn't matter because they all use safaris rendering engine anyways.

I should have made myself more clear..... opening a file from another app is incumbent on the app developer building it into their own app. Not the case with android. Android file opening is like using a computer file browser. Not the same with iOS.

Huge difference IMO.

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I don't understandwhy viewing angles are so important. Do you really want someone else looking at your screen?

Sent from my HTC One X using Android Central Forums