Have: iPhone5, Curious About: Droid DNA - convince me to switch

ozpain2

Jan 26, 2013
Visit site
I also love the DNA, but I own the iPhone 4S. Dying to come back to Android, but tested the DNA and found: 1) serious lack of storage is a big issue 2) even with "beats audio" the audio output is no comparison to that of the iPhone tested side by side with David Guetta Beats headphones (iPhone eq on flat while DNA had no EQ settings that neither the sales rep nor myself could find) 3) volume with headphone kept jumping up to full blast every time a new song or video was selected....if there is another version of the DNA out by June, I'll give it another shot

lou61166

Banned
Mar 14, 2011
Visit site
I also love the DNA, but I own the iPhone 4S. Dying to come back to Android, but tested the DNA and found: 1) serious lack of storage is a big issue 2) even with "beats audio" the audio output is no comparison to that of the iPhone tested side by side with David Guetta Beats headphones (iPhone eq on flat while DNA had no EQ settings that neither the sales rep nor myself could find) 3) volume with headphone kept jumping up to full blast every time a new song or video was selected....if there is another version of the DNA out by June, I'll give it another shot
I use player pro media player with a pair of 60.00 stero bluetooth headphones and have no issues with the sound or Quality of sound.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I am hoping that the rumored Google/Moto "X phone" will be the Android phone that we have always looked for. Every Android phone that has hit the market has had some shortcomings:
Razr Maxx HD---- Best build quality, best radios, best battery, but not so good camera and so-so screen.

Galaxy S3---- Really fast, good screen, but build quality and battery life is lacking.

Droid DNA--- Great screen, fast, but very limited storage and battery life.

Note 2---- Good screen, fast, but build quality is lacking and just too big for most people.

The ideal phone would a Moto Maxx phone with a 4.5 - 4.8" 1080P screen, 32 or 64gb onboard storage, and an iPhone 5 camera. I hope that the new "X phone" does this. Apple might not do everything the best, but they can't ever be faulted for their hardware.

Okay, flaming starts in 3,2,1.......

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site
I think the DNA is that phone depending on individual usage patterns. I don't have 40 thousand songs to store and I don't keep movies downloaded. I still have unlimited data so streaming isn't an issue. For my usage patterns battery has been great. I am getting over 24 hours with between 4 and 5 hours of screen time. That being said I am in a non 4g area. It's an awesome phone it's just not for everyone.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
I think the DNA is that phone depending on individual usage patterns. I don't have 40 thousand songs to store and I don't keep movies downloaded. I still have unlimited data so streaming isn't an issue. For my usage patterns battery has been great. I am getting over 24 hours with between 4 and 5 hours of screen time. That being said I am in a non 4g area. It's an awesome phone it's just not for everyone.

Unfortunately, it is not that phone, and you just helped to make my point. The storage is fine for you, but a lot of other people need much more storage, thus my recommendation of 32 or 64gb storage. You get decent battery life, but aren't in a 4G area, and a lot of people are in a 4G area, so a "Maxx" type battery would be great. You are correct,"it is an awesome phone, but not for everybody". The phone that I am describing would pretty much cover all bases, and make Android the dominant OS in the U.S.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

This

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
Unfortunately, it is not that phone, and you just helped to make my point. The storage is fine for you, but a lot of other people need much more storage, thus my recommendation of 32 or 64gb storage. You get decent battery life, but aren't in a 4G area, and a lot of people are in a 4G area, so a "Maxx" type battery would be great. You are correct,"it is an awesome phone, but not for everybody". The phone that I am describing would pretty much cover all bases, and make Android the dominant OS in the U.S.

Disagree. There could be a phone out that has everything g you described and more, but people would still find something to b*tch about

Also, I don't think there should be a one size fits all phone. I don't think consumers should be forced to pay an extra money for features they don't want/need. But that's just my opinion

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Disagree. There could be a phone out that has everything g you described and more, but people would still find something to b*tch about

Okay, so then put that phone out there.There would still be b**ching, but no ways as much. And marketshare would surely increase.

metz65

Mar 29, 2012
Visit site

So the perfect phone is the phone that's fits your personal needs, but if it fits mine it isn't.

There is never going to be a perfect phone that fits everyone, it's like Chevy or Ford.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

It is an absolutely beautiful phone, but I think it is severely lacking in two areas: storage and battery. The storage is Verizon's fault. I know this. But I like to have about 3gb of pics/videos and 3gb of music locally stored. That isn't a lot. But still takes up over half of the available storage in this phone. If I had one decent game then I'm down to just a few gb left. I live in a rural area. We have 4G here, but if you go to some neighboring towns to see family you may not have anything but 1X signal. And if I'm forced to use Dropbox to show off pics/videos of my 3 month old instead of using on board storage, I won't be able to.

All they had to do was allow a micro SD or give us storage options of more than 16gb at a higher price, throw in a few more mAH of battery life and you have a GREAT phone.

I agree with what Pappy said. I love Android, but every phone is lacking in at least one area. Not one phone is the best of everything on Android. There really needs to be that one "it" phone. The S3 was the closest so far. But it still leaves some room for improvement.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
So the perfect phone is the phone that's fits your personal needs, but if it fits mine it isn't.

You miss my point. Why can't there be at least one phone that fits my needs and yours, and mostly everyone else's. Android fragmentation is one of it's worst enemies.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site

Also, I don't think there should be a one size fits all phone. I don't think consumers should be forced to pay an extra money for features they don't want/need. But that's just my opinion

And I disagree. This is exactly what Android needs. I'm sure people will still b*tch because that's what people do. I'm not saying discontinue Android phones so there's only one phone, but I would absolutely pay more for a DNA with a larger battery and more on board storage or microSD capabilities. Or another Android phone that has Maxx battery life, Moto build quality, DNA screen, Note 2 camera, and additional storage options.

Diordna11

Jul 5, 2010
Visit site
Should have bought a Note 2. Much larger battery and its removable and you can get 80mb of storage. Nothing even comes close to the Note 2. My sons Iphone 5 feels like a tiny toy and if it were offered in pink it would slow down Apples stock slide. I laugh any time I see a big guy holding an iphone 5. It even looks daintier than the 4 despite the massive increase in the size of the screen.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Should have bought a Note 2. Much larger battery and its removable and you can get 80mb of storage. Nothing even comes close to the Note 2. My sons Iphone 5 feels like a tiny toy and if it were offered in pink it would slow down Apples stock slide. I laugh any time I see a big guy holding an iphone 5. It even looks daintier than the 4 despite the massive increase in the size of the screen.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Android Central Forums

It may be a toy, but it dominates marketshare in the U.S.
And Android could put a dent in that, if they would release the forementioned phone. But as of now, Android 's U.S. market is dropping marketshare.

osubeavs728

Jan 27, 2010
Visit site
It may be a toy, but it dominates marketshare in the U.S.
And Android could put a dent in that, if they would release the forementioned phone. But as of now, Android 's U.S. market is dropping marketshare.

Now you're talking about stuff that isn't correct. Apple has had dropping US and world market share for a couple years, while android has been steadily climbing. Pretty quickly in fact.

Google's Android smartphone market share quadruples Apple's iOS - Aug. 8, 2012

Mobile market share 2012: Android continues its success, iOS follows | BGR

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/world...47882--finance.html?desktop_view_default=true

The only time apple beat Google was in Q4 of last year, in the US only, and even then their share had dropped.

nj1266

May 17, 2011
Visit site
He is talking about the latest quarter of this year. He is right. iPhone market share in the US is slightly higher than Android. Considering the hundreds of android handsets available and only 3 iPhones, then that us a big achievement. But I do not think it will last. Apple does not care about market share, it cares about profit margins on handsets sold. The iPhone 5 has a 55% profit margin.

Sent from my iPhone 7

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Samsung sold 100 million S3, apple has sold 50 million... Of course this is world wide,
Here is a list of shares in us market..

Attachments

• screen-shot-2012-12-01-at-8-34-07-am.png
    screen-shot-2012-12-01-at-8-34-07-am.png
    19 KB · Views: 48

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Samsung sold 100 million S3, apple has sold 50 million... Of course this is world wide,
Here is a list of shares in us market..

Incorrect. They've sold 30 million S3s worldwide, and 100 million in the S Series overall. You can find that in the post up on AC about carriers in the UK pushing the S3 over any other phone.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Incorrect. They've sold 30 million S3s worldwide, and 100 million in the S Series overall. You can find that in the post up on AC about carriers in the UK pushing the S3 over any other phone.

That is correct. Samsung has sold 100 million Galaxy S, S2, and S3 phones combined. Apple sold 48 million iPhones in one quarter. It seems like this "superphone" could give Android a much needed kick.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
unirockers