1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default remote download torrent files

I'd like to be able to start a torrent download remotely from my phone by downloading the torrent file into a dropbox folder so my laptop will recognize it and begin the download remotely, but I can't seem to find a way to download a file directly into the dropbox folder. To try and get around this i figured I could just move the file manually, but when I do that uTorrent says there is some encoding error and it can't download the file. Anybody know of a way to do this on the DNA?

Default Re: remote download torrent files

I know the app uTorrent has a companion application that can remotely control a desktop host but I have never personally used it.

UPDATE
    Here is the link to the companion app on the Play Store

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

Quote Originally Posted by riggityrow View Post
    I'd like to be able to start a torrent download remotely from my phone by downloading the torrent file into a dropbox folder so my laptop will recognize it and begin the download remotely, but I can't seem to find a way to download a file directly into the dropbox folder. To try and get around this i figured I could just move the file manually, but when I do that uTorrent says there is some encoding error and it can't download the file. Anybody know of a way to do this on the DNA?
    I just ran into this problem the other day. I found that for some reason, my phone is compressing the torrent file or something. If you add a ".zip" to the end of the file name, it will let you "unzip" it with a program like 7zip. Then uTorrent was able to load it. So until I find out why my phone is doing this, I worked up a solution with belvedere and 7zip to automate it. I can give you more details if you need.

If you're curious, here's how I'm working out. Basically, I set my dropbox folder to be an intermediate folder, not my autoload folder. I suppose you could do all this just in your autoload folder, but I was trying to avoid causing any complications. So I upload a torrent file from my phone to my dropbox folder. Then on my pc where uTorrent is running, I have Belvedere running. If you haven't heard of belvedere, it's just an automated file management tool. You can use it to move around and rename files on a schedule or whenever files that meet certain specifications are present. You can get it from lifehacker.com, here:

Then in Belvedere I have two jobs running. First you have to tell Belvedere where you folder is. Then on that folder you create two rules. The first rule is to append a ".zip" to the end of any .torrent files in the folder. Basically the settings say:

if "Extension is torrent" then "rename file" to [fullname].zip.
    Type [fullname] just like that. [fullname] is a flag in belvedere telling it to just leave the filename the way it is, and add ".zip" to the end of it.

Then the second rule is to run the zip script. Before you build this rule, create a .bat file with the following in it (just a text file with a .bat extension):

"C:\Program Files\7-Zip\7z" e %1 -oD:\Autoload
    del %1
    You can see that all this script is doing is calling 7zip, and extracting the file, and moving it to D:\Autoload, which is my autoload folder, obviously. The "%1" is a parameter that's getting passed from Belvedere. Don't worry about it, belvedere will handle it for you. Here's the job I set up in Belvedere:
    If "Extension is zip"
    do
    Custom, action: "D\phone\unziptorrents.bat"
    That unziptorrents.bat file is the bat file I just mentioned. So basically, here's how it all goes: say you upload a torrent called "385JDH9JDI59E3JTLOI9I3HJ.torrent" to your dropbox. Belvedere will see a file ending in .torrent, and it will automatically rename it to "385JDH9JDI59E3JTLOI9I3HJ.torrent.zip". The belvedere will then see the zip file which triggers the second job which simply calls your bat script with the name of the file passed to is as the first parameter (the %1 in the bat file). The script will unzip the file and place it in your autoload folder, then automatically delete the zip file.

And that's it. And if you have uTorrent set to automatically delete torrent files, then you end up with no files hanging around anywhere.

Sorry, it sounds a bit convoluted, but it is the only way I could figure out to use my phone to start torrents on my pc remotely with dropbox. If you want to try it, it's much easier than it sounds, let me know if you have any questions.

And sorry, I just realized this post is 10 days old. If you've already solved this, let me know how you did it!
    Last edited by paqmanbiker; 01-27-2013 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by paqmanbiker View Post
    If you're curious, here's how I'm working out. Basically, I set my dropbox folder to be an intermediate folder, not my autoload folder. I suppose you could do all this just in your autoload folder, but I was trying to avoid causing any complications. So I upload a torrent file from my phone to my dropbox folder. Then on my pc where uTorrent is running, I have Belvedere running. If you haven't heard of belvedere, it's just an automated file management tool. You can use it to move around and rename files on a schedule or whenever files that meet certain specifications are present. You can get it from lifehacker.com, here:

Then in Belvedere I have two jobs running. First you have to tell Belvedere where you folder is. Then on that folder you create two rules. The first rule is to append a ".zip" to the end of any .torrent files in the folder. Basically the settings say:

Type [fullname] just like that. [fullname] is a flag in belvedere telling it to just leave the filename the way it is, and add ".zip" to the end of it.

Then the second rule is to run the zip script. Before you build this rule, create a .bat file with the following in it (just a text file with a .bat extension):

You can see that all this script is doing is calling 7zip, and extracting the file, and moving it to D:\Autoload, which is my autoload folder, obviously. The "%1" is a parameter that's getting passed from Belvedere. Don't worry about it, belvedere will handle it for you. Here's the job I set up in Belvedere:

That unziptorrents.bat file is the bat file I just mentioned. So basically, here's how it all goes: say you upload a torrent called "385JDH9JDI59E3JTLOI9I3HJ.torrent" to your dropbox. Belvedere will see a file ending in .torrent, and it will automatically rename it to "385JDH9JDI59E3JTLOI9I3HJ.torrent.zip". The belvedere will then see the zip file which triggers the second job which simply calls your bat script with the name of the file passed to is as the first parameter (the %1 in the bat file). The script will unzip the file and place it in your autoload folder, then automatically delete the zip file.

And that's it. And if you have uTorrent set to automatically delete torrent files, then you end up with no files hanging around anywhere.

Sorry, it sounds a bit convoluted, but it is the only way I could figure out to use my phone to start torrents on my pc remotely with dropbox. If you want to try it, it's much easier than it sounds, let me know if you have any questions.

And sorry, I just realized this post is 10 days old. If you've already solved this, let me know how you did it!
    Fortunately for me I have Transmission installed on my NAS and I just use TransMission Remote from playstore to load up my torrents from my mobile, if I really need to.
    Samsung Galaxy S3 - SGH-I747M