Stock messages app

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Does anyone prefer the stock messaging app? Typically on my droids I download handcent but it has started to fee a bit bloated. I know much of the reason for owning an android is customization. But there is something to be said for simplicity. So I'm giving the stock app a try. I cannot however use the stock keyboard. It's auto correct isn't nearly as good as SwiftKey.

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
For years I've only used GO SMS but with this phone I use the stock messaging app also. But I agree with Mitch, it would be nice to use my own background or at least a better selection.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
For years I've only used GO SMS but with this phone I use the stock messaging app also. But I agree with Mitch, it would be nice to use my own background or at least a better selection.

You can use your own. When you go to change it you can choose HTC background or gallery

Mario Fasolo

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I don't have the option for Gallery only HTC Background

From what I've seen on the forums, it's literally a hit or miss thing. Some people can select any background (myself included) and some people can only select HTC backgrounds. Literally have no idea why but there was a thread with a bunch of conversation over it!

On topic though, yes, I LOVE the stock messaging app, no problems, and then white/vibrant green combo with the white background is the best looking option I could think of! I wish you could just pick a custom color for each bubble though with something like a color picker, or at least a little more of selection, but I'm very satisfied! Plus you can change how many lines are previewed in the text from the list of contacts in the app, and the notifications will show you the entire message in the notification screen so I'm happy!

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Used Go SMS on my other phones. Just use the stock messenger now, and the only thing I don't like. You have to hit space after your last word or it's left out of the text messenge.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

bespinct

Apr 24, 2010
Visit site
Used Go SMS on my other phones. Just use the stock messenger now, and the only thing I don't like. You have to hit space after your last word or it's left out of the text messenge.

Really? The last word is cropped if you don't enter a space after it? I've never had that problem! That would be enough for me to not use it!

Steve

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Yeah it happens don't know why, gonna look at settings to see if there is a fix

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Most apps that are not compatible with the DNA will work fine once side loaded. Have u tried that?

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA using Tapatalk 2

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Sometimes when I go to a message from the notification it puts me halfway through the conversation and I have to scroll all the way down to see the last message. Does this happen to anyone else?

garl6

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
Sometimes when I go to a message from the notification it puts me halfway through the conversation and I have to scroll all the way down to see the last message. Does this happen to anyone else?

i yeah. except i start at the beginning of the conversation. i usually just hit back then hit the conversation again.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
I like Handsent alot. Lots of customizing available but even the stock screens are great.

Handcent

I've used handcent on every droid but I find that its getting too cluttered and cumbersome. The only thing I really miss in the stock app is being able to assign individual people their own text tone.

mystiphi

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Has anyone had issues attaching jpg's using the stock messaging app? For some reason it's giving me the "unsupported picture format" prompt.

masseurca

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
I love Handcent for its features, like blocking, but the stock app has voice messages for visual voicemail.