Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree45Likes

Default Re: HTC M7 why DNA just came out ?

I don't think anyone considers them competition at the moment. Who knows, maybe they'll succeed but I think they were too dumb for too long. If they sell off the hardware division maybe someone can use that and start using Android on it. That's what I'd like to see happen anyway.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by JHBThree View Post
    Why would it?
    Well, think about it. Using custom roms adds to the customization of Android; hell, it's arguably one of Android's strongest features. It's also something not available on iOS. So, in a cross-licensing agreement, Apple seeks to level the playing field by requiring HTC to crack down on developers of custom roms. I only ask the question because this sudden crackdown seems to have blindsided many fans of HTC and their handsets. By no means am I concluding that such a provision is a part of their cross-licensing agreement; and HTC may just be putting it's foot down to protect it's financial interests.

It's just a thought; I only asked the question because a poster in the Rootzwiki link provided by Orlanka seemed to beg the question
    Motorola Razr V3-->Blackberry Pearl 8130-->Blackberry Tour 9630-->Droid Pro-->Droid X-->Rooted Droid 4-->Galaxy S3-->GSM Galaxy Nexus (Stock 4.3)-->Nexus 4 16GB (Stock 4..4)-->Nexus 5 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Note 3 (Stock 4.4.2)-->Nokia Lumia 1520 (Red)

Toshiba Satellite Win Vista-->HP Touchpad w/ CM 9 Alpha 1-->Motorola Xoom Wifi-->Toshiba Satellite Win7-->Acer Ubuntu/Chromebook-->Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1-->Toshiba Satellite Win8-->Ubuntu 13.10/Nexus 7 16GB (2013)-->Samsung Chromebook-->Asus Republic of Gamers/iPad Mini with Retina Display
    AZDROIDX likes this.

Default HTC M7 why DNA just came out ?

Quote Originally Posted by MERCDROID View Post
    Well, think about it. Using custom roms adds to the customization of Android; hell, it's arguably one of Android's strongest features. It's also something not available on iOS. So, in a cross-licensing agreement, Apple seeks to level the playing field by requiring HTC to crack down on developers of custom roms. I only ask the question because this sudden crackdown seems to have blindsided many fans of HTC and their handsets. By no means am I concluding that such a provision is a part of their cross-licensing agreement; and HTC may just be putting it's foot down to protect it's financial interests.

It's just a thought; I only asked the question because a poster in the Rootzwiki link provided by Orlanka seemed to beg the question
    I don't think they could ask for that. The only thing that they could conceivably ask for them to do would be to prevent the inclusion of features that are clones of apples in those roms.
    Thanked by:
    MERCDROID likes this.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #29  

Not really cause they're gonna do updates for the newest of phones especially if the phone is on Verizon.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Unfortunately it won't last a week. Who in their right mind is going to want a phone with a quad core processor, 5" HD screen, a camera that takes very nice pics and gets excellent battery life.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.
    Ry likes this.

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

The DNA is Verizon's flagship? According to whom?

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    The DNA is Verizon's flagship? According to whom?
    It is their top of the line "droid" branded phone and is exclusive to only Verizon. That usually means their flagship. The rest of the top of the line phones offered by them are the OEM's flagships, not verizon's

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

Global Posts
    400 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by codeda View Post
    It is their top of the line "droid" branded phone and is exclusive to only Verizon. That usually means their flagship. The rest of the top of the line phones offered by them are the OEM's flagships, not verizon's

Not particularly convincing. The advertising for the DNA is paltry. Verizon is treating it more like the new razrs than the old droids. Is HTC even doing any of its own advertising for it? Anyone else want to take a shot? Isn't it possible that Verizon doesn't have a flagship right now, or that because Samsung rules the market that a flagship doesn't have to be an exclusive?

Also, while certain specs on the phone are better than other phones (screen resolution and size, although bigger is not always better), clearly others are worse (internal storage, battery, lack of expansion) and others are the same (processor, RAM).

And has the phone even sold well? Clearly the iPhone and the S3 are outselling it, and maybe even the Note 2 is as well. Is it selling more than the new razrs? I heard that around the release date they weren't being stocked at certain best buys.
    Last edited by whatwhat; 02-03-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Flagship doesn't mean popular or best sales. Nexus 4 is googles flagship. It isn't outselling other phones. One x is htc's flagship for now, they don't advertise that much. Note 2 and gs3 are samsung's and of course are very popular. Doesn't mean that the DNA is the best Verizon phone ( subjective) it just means that this is their phone that is only theirs that they are pushing out there. We went to the Verizon store last week and they showed us that and an iPhone. Note was off in a corner somewhere. Don't know if all stores are like that.

Global Posts
    331 Global Posts

Back to the OP. Verizon always tends to do its own thing when it comes to HTC phones. Like others have said, good chance they won't get the m7. Too similar to the DNA . plus they opted out of the one series so no reason to think they will want this new series either.

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Samsung also has twice the money as HTC which will lead to better marketing. My Verizon has a lot of posters for the DNA and iPhone not Samsung. Htc doesn't have .much money/ success in the States. The jbutterfly is selling like hotcakes.

Privacy is overrated :P
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Irvgotti View Post
    Samsung also has twice the money as HTC which will lead to better marketing. My Verizon has a lot of posters for the DNA and iPhone not Samsung. Htc doesn't have .much money/ success in the States. The jbutterfly is selling like hotcakes.

Twice the money is being very generous to HTC.

Could you link to sales figures for the J Butterfly?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums
    a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums
    Ry

Global Posts
    7,197 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by codeda View Post

The DROID line is Verizon's flagship line of devices.

a.k.a. RyZR from HoFo
    Motorola Moto X (164.55.2.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola Moto G (173.44.20.falcon_cdma.Verizon.en.US, KitKat 4.4.2)
    Motorola DROID Bionic (98.72.22.XT865.Verizon.en.US, Jelly Bean 4.1.2)
    Google Nexus 7 2012 (KOT49H, KitKat 4.4.2)
    What other devices have I had? Here's my phone timeline.
    Support your favorite Android app and game developers. Pay for apps! And don't block ads!

Community Rules & Guidelines - Mobile Nations Forums

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Quote Originally Posted by Ry View Post
    Twice the money is being very generous to HTC.

Could you link to sales figures for the J Butterfly?

No sale figure but from there CEO .

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

. An actual HTC commercial

Quick answer to this thread? Because phones are outdated as soon as they release. There is always something better on the horizon. The M7 is going to be a good device. But I dont see it being anything to throw your DNA away for.

For the people complaining about battery. I got 11 hours out of a full charge today on my DNA with 5 HOURS and 35 minutes of screen on time.

That is absolutely nothing to complain about.

Thanked by:
    osubeavs728 and Topgonzo like this.

I'm guessing a lot of the people that say the battery is "worse than others" don't actually own the phone. Because it has pretty damn good battery life, AND has been shown by many sites that it has as good or better battery life than other comparable phones (s3 mainly) the only PHONE that beats it is the maxx. Phablets not included as they're a different category of devices

The battery does fine in the DNA, I can use the phone all day with moderate to heavy use and still not have to charge until I'm ready for bed between 9pm and 10pm. As far as the M7 goes, the phone isn't really any kind of upgrade, you lose screen size and who's really going to notice the difference between 1.7ghz and 1.5ghz. To me the phone is more of a downgrade. As far as the camera, this is still untested, HTC. Isn't known for the software running the camera. Well that's my.. 02 cents worth. Everyone have a good upcoming weekend.

Frank

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

ROM
    Stock

Quote Originally Posted by Imnutsnj View Post
    The battery does fine in the DNA, I can use the phone all day with moderate to heavy use and still not have to charge until I'm ready for bed between 9pm and 10pm. As far as the M7 goes, the phone isn't really any kind of upgrade, you lose screen size and who's really going to notice the difference between 1.7ghz and 1.5ghz. To me the phone is more of a downgrade. As far as the camera, this is still untested, HTC. Isn't known for the software running the camera. Well that's my.. 02 cents worth. Everyone have a good upcoming weekend.

Frank

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA
    I read somewhere that the m7 is supposed to have a better display then the Dna. Sure their both 1080p but scaling it down was going to be noticeable. And How is htc now known for their cameras? The One series, Dna, and Evo Lte where known for that particular reason. They have great cameras.

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2

Global Posts
    96 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by whatwhat View Post
    Not particularly convincing. The advertising for the DNA is paltry. Verizon is treating it more like the new razrs than the old droids. Is HTC even doing any of its own advertising for it? Anyone else want to take a shot? Isn't it possible that Verizon doesn't have a flagship right now, or that because Samsung rules the market that a flagship doesn't have to be an exclusive?

Also, while certain specs on the phone are better than other phones (screen resolution and size, although bigger is not always better), clearly others are worse (internal storage, battery, lack of expansion) and others are the same (processor, RAM).

And has the phone even sold well? Clearly the iPhone and the S3 are outselling it, and maybe even the Note 2 is as well. Is it selling more than the new razrs? I heard that around the release date they weren't being stocked at certain best buys.
    They havent been stocked at any best buys. I got mine there and had to order it overnight. The sales guy said they will get it in stock but not as of yet. They might be there now but when I got mine they didnt even have cases or screen protectors. Funny thing is that when he went online to order it for me he said they had 140 in the warehouse????

Global Posts
    370 Global Posts

Default HTC M7 why DNA just came out ?

I never understood the crying that goes on and on about newer better phones releasing right after the one they just purchased. You NEVER want to slow down technology....it benefits us all! Newer, cooler can't come out fast enough for me, personally.

If you really get all pissed off about something coming out shortly after your purchased device, then clearly your cell phone is like a status symbol to you and less like a cool, useful device.

Just think about it for a minute. Don't be so childish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Rew001's Smartphone History: Tmo Dash --> BB Curve --> BB Storm(1) --> iPhone 3GS -->Droid Incredible --> Droid X -->Galaxy Nexus --> iPhone 5 --> HTC DNA --> Galaxy S4!!
    Thanked by:
    MrRicks84 and metz65 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by rew001 View Post
    I never understood the crying that goes on and on about newer better phones releasing right after the one they just purchased. You NEVER want to slow down technology....it benefits us all! Newer, cooler can't come out fast enough for me, personally.

If you really get all pissed off about something coming out shortly after your purchased device, then clearly your cell phone is like a status symbol to you and less like a cool, useful device.

Just think about it for a minute. Don't be so childish.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Agreed. With technology moving so fast, one could only look forward to what's available when it is time for an upgrade (for those that didn't buy it straight out).

ROM
    Stock

The m7 is no longer the m7,it is now the HTC ONE. :thumbup:

Sent from my Behemoth of a phone, the Galaxy Note 2
    droidmyme likes this.

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Northing is official until its official

Do you expect a version of the M7 (Droid DNA+, perhaps) to be available within, say, a month or so? I know it is all speculation, but still...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast