Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: SIM Issues - Again

I had this error pretty consistently for a period of time, but, then, it went away. The two things, I did that might have affected this are: re-seat the SIM card, and, I got my battery temp close to overheated. One of my out of left field theories, is that since my DNA, normally does not get too hot, and, I use it in cool weather (lowest battery temp was 4.8 C), is that there might be some condensation inside of the phone. And, that by getting the phone hot, it caused any moisture inside the phone to dry up (we, also, had a lot of foggy weather, when I had most of my SIM card errors). I don't know if my theory is valid, but, I have only had a couple of SIM card errors since my battery got hot. YMMV
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I just got the SIM icon once again. This time I am mad. Normally I would go straight to Verizon to same them reseat or replace my SIM. But it is almost midnight on a Sunday, they are closed. This means I have to wait until 10AM tomorrow morning when the stores open. But that won't be possible because I am booked throughout the day preparing for a PCS and helping my husband clear post. Which means I have to reseat the sim myself and wait for it to happen again. How many times will this have to happen before they offer me a new device? I'm moving across country in 8 days and DO NOT want an unreliable phone. Is this a problem with every handset or just a few defected ones?
    Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    I just got the SIM icon once again. This time I am mad. Normally I would go straight to Verizon to same them reseat or replace my SIM. But it is almost midnight on a Sunday, they are closed. This means I have to wait until 10AM tomorrow morning when the stores open. But that won't be possible because I am booked throughout the day preparing for a PCS and helping my husband clear post. Which means I have to reseat the sim myself and wait for it to happen again. How many times will this have to happen before they offer me a new device? I'm moving across country in 8 days and DO NOT want an unreliable phone. Is this a problem with every handset or just a few defected ones?
    (Knocks on wood) I have never had a SIM issue and I hope to never have one. Sorry you and others are experiencing this!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Stough View Post
    If by "new device" you mean totally different phone, it's unlikely they'll do that. If you mean a different DNA, then you'll have a pretty good chance. There have been multiple people who have gotten CLNR from verizon because of this problem.

I've had the sim issue twice now after having this particular dna for about 3 months. It's not really a big deal for me, a quick restart fixes the issue. Hopefully it doesn't get to the point where I have to start recreating the sim thougn

It has happened to me 3 times, the latest I lost internet minutes prior to the failure.

ROM
    None

I had mine swapped out last week for this issue only to have it re appear on the new handset a few days later. I did notice however after I re seated the SIM tray I was able to push it into the phone a bit deeper than it was originally. I think the tray over time tends to wiggle out of position causing the disconnect of the sim card.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I meant a new DNA, or in all terms of the word, refurbished replacement. I am very happy with this device in every other aspect. This is only my second SIM issue, but if I get a third I will have to request a new device.

Well, I finally got the "No SIM" message. I've had my DNA for just over three weeks. I have the update. A quick restart took care of it, but I'm hoping this is the first and only time I'll have to deal with this.

I got the "you should've gotten the iPhone" talk from my wife, I just look at her and laugh. Overall this is a great phone. Despite some issues it's still an amazing piece of hardware and there is no freaking way I'm going back to an iPhone. It's literally like someone gave me my freedom, the amount of customization I can do is endless, obviously I'm not going to just give back my freedom

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Not sure of this helps but I turned off global mode, changed it to LTE/CDMA mode and it's working pretty good. No dropped calls or anything. When I was on global mode I would constantly get searching for service. But since how I changed it, it will automatically switch to 3G if I'm in an area with no 4G.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

It seems to be happening more often for me lately. Sometimes 3 to 4 times a day but then sometimes only about twice a week. Fortunately just toggling airplane mode on and off does the trick 90% of the time.

I haven't swapped SIM cards yet but I'm thinking about it. The only thing stopping me is that most people say they still get the error after swapping SIMs.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco9 View Post
    It seems to be happening more often for me lately. Sometimes 3 to 4 times a day but then sometimes only about twice a week. Fortunately just toggling airplane mode on and off does the trick 90% of the time.

I haven't swapped SIM cards yet but I'm thinking about it. The only thing stopping me is that most people say they still get the error after swapping SIMs.
    I had the DNA for 15 days (bought brand new) when I got my first SIM error. Took it into the store that day without reseating or restarting and recieved a new SIM. Had that SIM for not even two weeks and recieved the error again on the new SIM. Unfortunately I couldn't take it into the store so I restarted the device, it didn't work. Reseated the SIM and it worked after restarting again.

Global Posts
    632 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

I don't even know if it makes sense to get a replacement... When I bought mine, it worked well for three weeks. Now, i get the sim issue 2-3 times per day. It seems like every single DNA will start doing at one point, even if it's a month after getting the phone. How many have had successful replacements?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)

It makes sense to get a replacement because it is a problem and replacements cost them money. There is no incentive to correct the problem if it didn't cost them money. Everyone with a SIM isuue needs to complain LOUDLY!!!

Global Posts
    632 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Quote Originally Posted by ddsrepair View Post
    It makes sense to get a replacement because it is a problem and replacements cost them money. There is no incentive to correct the problem if it didn't cost them money. Everyone with a SIM isuue needs to complain LOUDLY!!!

I see your point there. But it's just frustrating that this problem is so widespread. It can happen a month or two after getting the replacement. I really wonder if it's fixable by a software update. Besides, it's only a matter of time before someone gets into am accident, needs his or her phone to call for an ambulance, only to realize that the phone isn't reading the damned SIM card. That equation = certain lawsuit. And this isn't a problem that affects only a minority of devices... It seems to be more common than not. And very unpredictable. I was proud of my DNA, had it for three weeks and no issues. And then bam, there goes the Sim card problem...

Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)

I just had the SIM issue today for the first time. I sprayed a little air in the SIM slot, then rebooted the phone. So far so good.

Frank

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

Today my signal bar had an "x" in it and I had no voice or data. I rebooted with same problem. I noticed Airplane mode was in a "turning off" state. I rebooted again and everything started working again. Is this the infamous SIM card issue? I have loved this phone but this worries me.

Global Posts
    632 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Yea that sounds like the sim issue.

Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)

ROM
    None

I took my SIM out and cleaned it with Windex and a paper towel so far no more SIM issue.

Global Posts
    632 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Idk I'm still convinced that cleaning the sim, or cleaning out the slot, won't fix the problem. I'm convinced it's a software issue; if it was hardware, then a simple restart or reboot shouldn't be able to fix it (albeit temporarily). The hardware problem would persist. I hope HTC can figure out the problem in the next update. For those that are proud of the fact that their DNAs have not experienced SIM issues, I was in that boat for like 3 weeks. It seems it could happen to anybody at anytime, even after months of it not happening (from what I've read).

Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)

My employer got myself, and 6 of my coworkers DNAs to use as work phones about a month ago. 5 of the 7 DNAs have experienced the sim disconnect issue at some point in the past month. All are stock and the issue occurred both before and after the latest ota update. Mine disconnects at least once a day. A quick reboot fixes the issue tho. Really hope this issue gets addressed. Everyone of my coworkers uses an iphone as a personal phone and gives me grief every time their sim disconnects since I'm the only Android user. Then they tell me, "We should have gotten iphones, they just work." :banghead:

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Android Central Forums

I just had my second sim issue, although I was able to correct it by turning airplane mode on and off, I decided to remove the sim and wipe the contacts off with rubbing alcohol (great for cleaning electronic contact points) and then remounted the sim. I'll let everyone know how it works out.

Frank

Sent from my Jelly Bean flavored HTC DROID DNA

Global Posts
    632 Global Posts
    ROM
    All Stock (for now)

Out of curiosity, has anyone requested a replacement and got one that hasn't had SIM issues for over a month?

Sony Xperia Z1s
    Nexus 7 2012 (16GB)

I have only had the sim issue a few times now over 3 months. A restart fixes it right up. However over the last week I've been experiencing another little issue which could be related. Sometimes when I disconnect wifi, one or two times just randomly, my phone never turns on the data connection. No 4g or 3g capabilities return until I do a restart of the phone, but it never gives me the sim error signal.

Last night I started getting the issue , Verizon replaced the sim , it worked for maybe um let see 3 hours and no data , went back today and the replaced my phone , we will see how long this one lasts
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast