SIM Issues - Again

dnickb

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
So I know this has been loosely discussed, and I really didn't want to dig up an older thread, but has anyone had more SIM issues?

My DNA has been terrible with SIMs. First, Verizon told me that I just had a bad SIM, so we swapped that out.

Then, they told me that it was because my phone was in "Global" mode as opposed to "LTE/CDMA" mode.

Now, they are convinced, like I am, that he phone is crazy. They only arrived at this conclusion with me when I brought it in, with the device claiming that it was PUK locked. When they called support to unlock, no one could figure out how to unlock it because there was no interface to do so. They concluded that the device was toast and was lying about PUK locked. They are overnighting me a new one and it will be here Tuesday. I love this device, but not when it won't connect to the network. It kind of defeats the purpose a smartphone if you can't use data or voice...

I hope that no one else is having this problem, but I am curious about how others have been doing.

Cyco9

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
It's happened to me about 4 time over the last 3 weeks or so. Latest one was today. I was sitting down for lunch with a group of friends (all iphoners) and I went to text one of them my email address. Of course I look down to see my favorite little icon in my status bar. I've noticed airplane mode and restarts don't seem to do anything for me so I've started carrying the sim tool in my wallet. After about 2 or 3 minutes I was able to send the text. I know it sounds like a first world problem and I should get over it, but really it's a sign of an unpolished product.

This can be very inconvenient and isn't going to help HTC sell phones. Word of mouth about something like this can be terrible for a company trying to compete in a tough and unforgiving market. I hope they get an update out soon (from what I hear online it's a software issue).

Funny thing is, my brother has had the DNA for about a month longer than me and he says he has never had the sim card issue. It seems random but I'm sure there is something specific that triggers it.

Outside of that it's an amazing phone. Fast, smooth, and great aesthetics. Other than the pitiful attempt at advertisement, HTC has the potential to have a contender on their hands, they just need to make sure they handle this issue before it gets out of hand.

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
I know it sounds like a first world problem

Definitely not, LoL.

Sorry that part just made me laugh.
I swap SIMs constantly between a handful of devices & am always accused of "first world problems" when I complain about deciding which to use on any particular day...I hate the SIM adapters in particular!

I typically switch back & forth between:
-Nexus 4
-S3
-iPhone 5
And sometimes throw in a WP or Blackberry if I'm feeling whimsical.

dnickb

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
It's happened to me about 4 time over the last 3 weeks or so. Latest one was today. I was sitting down for lunch with a group of friends (all iphoners) and I went to text one of them my email address. Of course I look down to see my favorite little icon in my status bar. I've noticed airplane mode and restarts don't seem to do anything for me so I've started carrying the sim tool in my wallet. After about 2 or 3 minutes I was able to send the text. I know it sounds like a first world problem and I should get over it, but really it's a sign of an unpolished product.

And in front of iPhone users, oh dear. When my mom found out about the issue, she gave me the "You should have got an iPhone talk. Deserved, but annoying.

I would definitely talk to Verizon about replacing your phone, I should be getting my new one tomorrow and will update as it goes.

willyd

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
I'm curious, are you using stock Sense with yours and your brother has a different launcher? I was getting the SIM error randomly had the SIM replaced once. I also have popped it in and out to make sure its in there correctly but it would still happen randomly. I actually went into the Verizon store a couple weeks ago and they said they hadn't heard of the issue before. He offered a refurb replacement and I declined (after reading this was likely a software issue). Anyways, I finally made the jump to Nova Launcher and I haven't had the SIM error since (knock on wood!). Its only been a week or so since switching to Nova but I definitely don't miss the SIM errors!

Cyco9

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm using stock Sense. I talked to my brother and he said he's been using the Next Launcher for a couple weeks now, but didn't have the sim issue before or since he changed. He thinks it could be a specific app or account that triggers it. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough especially after more people start having the problem.

As far as talking to someone a Verizon, it's hit or miss if they know anything about the product they're troubleshooting. In all fairness that can be said for anybody in a retail or tech support environment. You could call back the next day and talk to someone who has thoroughly researched the issue and get resolve right away. Well, at least you haven't had the issue come back so far.

Few quick questions to anyone about Nova:

-Is it glitchy or has it showed signs of slowdown or hickups at all?

-What don't you like about it?

-Does it take a hit on your battery life?

-Is it worth it to upgrade to Prime?

Thanks in advance :)

dnickb

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Found this over on Droidforums dot net......

"Verizon tech support advised that not every DNA has this issue, and they are working on a software update. HTC advised that the update is available but the carrier is holding it back."

Thought that was interesting. Looks like it's on Verizon now :eek:

WHAT!? A carrier holding an update back? You don't say?:eek:

Truth be told though, my first DNA didn't have this problem, it had a weird blue spot on the screen. This one has been good since they overnighted me a new one, I get my new one when I get home after work. So, the not every DNA has this issue makes sense.

I do enjoy the blame game between carrier and phone maker though. They are never on the same page.:-\

cwbrow2

Dec 30, 2012
Visit site
I am having the same issues, 3x one day. I removed my diztronic case no issues since, might b the case interfering somehow so I will see.

dnickb

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Not a huge Verizon fan...but they beat the snot out of AT&T (who, I believe, really is the devil).

That said, I'm on my new Droid DNA that arrived Tuesday, and surprise surprise, this morning, it was throwing no SIM errors... again.

Thankfully, I work right next to a Verizon store. They are speechless. We tried a new SIM, hopefully this is the end of my story. I will be calling HTC soon too. That's what they recommended. What that's going to do, I have no idea, but it can't end badly.

PsychDoc

May 28, 2011
Visit site
We all need to harrass the crap out of HTC about this. This is their product. They know they are a 2nd tier player in the smartphone market and this is really their hero device. If this fails it would be a very, very bad thing for them -- perhaps something that could end any pretensions they might have ever had in competing against Sammy/Apple. I have called and written them and been told they know of this issue and that a software fix is in the making. But they need to hear from everyone who's experiencing this!!!

Their customer support number is 866-449-8358.

PLEASE CALL (repeatedly!...lol)

am4966

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
Umm I've had like 6 SIM errors today and the day is not over. I'm starting to get annoyed by this.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

bellken

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
This is an annoying problem, and, the unpredictability is the worse part. I was having this problem pretty consistently, but, it has become less frequent of late. I did pop out my SIM card and re-insert it. I am hoping for a fix soon. This problem does seem to be related to going into areas, where my Verizon signal is very weak. It is like too many connection errors, and, the phone thinks the SIM card is missing, lost, or locked.

Shamrock

Jun 3, 2011
Visit site
So did you guys notice when you take your SIM card out, it has 3 scratches on it now? It's from where the SIM is in contact with the tray. If I'm not mistaken, that could be a widespread issue that everyone is going to receive. The more you take your SIM out of your device, the more it scratches... Likewise when you put it in..

I just got my SIM replaced because my device wasn't receiving 4G, but now, my apps are loading exceptionally slowly like it is connected to 3G but with a 4G icon...

Anyway, I have to call Verizon again to get this issue resolved. >_< I can't take it to the store because I'm on an employee account. Ugh.