Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default DNA was charging all day, asleep--now it's SUUPER hot

I had it charged ALL day--didn't use it at all, didn't even unplug it from the charger. My charger's on my bed, so it could have accidentally been awoken at some point or another--and I probably checked for texts like two times. But seriously, it's been asleep the whole day. I grabbed it to check something, and it was SUPER hot. I didn't know this thing could even get that hot! I could feel the heat pretty strongly through my ballistic SG case, so I can only imagine how hot the device itself was. The charger itself wasn't hot at all.

I checked my battery stats, and saw this:

..which is FALSE. These screenshots were taken today, 12/2; it was charging all day on 12/1. These stats are from yesterday's usage. So I was wondering:

1. is it dangerous to have it overheat so badly? it was so hot, I couldn't imagine it possibly getting hotter. could this result in permanent damage? it cooled down almost instantaneously after I unplugged it, so other than it being a hair sluggish, I think it's ok.
    2. what are known causes for overheating? will leaving 4G on fry your device? I noticed I forgot to switch to wifi, so I had 4G on.
    3. could there be something inherently wrong with my device to begin with? I've been having atrocious battery life, but I get by because I'm neurotic about turning signals off and dimming the screen; I figure CS wouldn't do much about it other than give me the typical "YMMV, you don't know how to use it" response.

Also--super weird weird thing with my battery stats: early in the day it shows battery decline starting at a full 100% or 99%; but by like 8PM, despite showing the same exact stats, it shows battery decline starting at ~85%, just like in the above pics. No, it's not that it cropped off earlier usage; I had it awake when I left the house, used it on my 45-min commute, checked texts sporadically at work, and used it for an hour-long commute back. All while reading on the kindle app, nothing ungodly intensive. So just a couple hours of low usage from 8 AM, and it was down to 50% by 4PM. Is this normal??
  2. Thread Author  Thread Author    #2  

Default Re: DNA was charging all day, asleep--now it's SUUPER hot

Just some other things to mention while I'm at it:

1. how do I get apps to stop running at all times? I'm pretty diligent about widgets/processes, so UCCW, Widgetlocker, and Swiftkey are the only things I added which are running at all times. Maps and Amazon run at all times, but I don't know how to get that to stop permanently without messing up related apps)

2. people are complaining about poor audio quality whenever they call me--have you noticed that the DNA is worse than other phones you've had in that regard? I don't use it much for calling, so I don't mind terribly. I was just curious if this is a general HTC or DNA thing.

Too much heat is not good for your phone, but, the phone is not likely harmed. Your phone will shutdown when it detects an extreme overheat situation. The things that I have seen cause overheating is heavy usage while charging. Leaving your phone on 4G, while charging should not impact anything, as, it looks like your signal is pretty strong. (Are you using a wireles charger?, that will get your phone pretty hot, which is why I stick with the corded charger)

As for apps running all the time, you should be able to disable the Amazon app, if you do not use it. As for maps, it could any one of various location based services that you have enabled on your phone. Turn off all of the ones, you do not use. If you do not use Google Now, turn it off.

Also, re-starting your phone periodically will clean up apps on your phone, and, hopefully you have disabled fastboot, which can leave some apps running in funny state.
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

Hmm that's weird, my phone was asleep the whole day, except for a couple times when I checked texts--I mean I've definitely noticed it getting warm with moderate usage, but I've never felt it get this hot before. The charger doesn't seem to be overheating the device now (I'm just using the stock HTC charger), so I don't think the charger itself is busted. Would it be better to contact HTC, or Verizon, about battery issues?

Likely caused by 4G/3G switch over alot judging by your screen shot. Also, those apps stats are still like that b/c you left it plugged in. App stats won't reset until battery operates on it's own. Keeping a battery plugged in after has finished charging is not good for it in the long term. Doing so repetitively will shorten your battery's lifespan.
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

screenshot was wrong though, usually no matter whether it's plugged in or not, the battery history is up-to-date. 4G was on the whole time, but the device was asleep the entire day. which is fairly normal for me, and it's never overheated that badly. thanks for the tip on battery life though!

Quote Originally Posted by Fraggle79 View Post
    Likely caused by 4G/3G switch over alot judging by your screen shot. Also, those apps stats are still like that b/c you left it plugged in. App stats won't reset until battery operates on it's own. Keeping a battery plugged in after has finished charging is not good for it in the long term. Doing so repetitively will shorten your battery's lifespan.