Off Topic: HTC General FlashUtility and OEM Rom Release?

diesteldorf

Dec 1, 2010
Visit site
Posting this here in the hopes that someone with more expertise and experience with HTC products will read and respond as I haven't had luck with Google and have only had Motorola and Samsung phones myself.

Very short background:

My friend has an HTC Sensation through TMobile that has been having glitches and random reboots after receiving carrier updates. I told him it wasn't hardware related and could be fixed.

I see 3 options:

1. Backup all data to SD Card/Computer and do a full factory data reset. Hope everything is fixed.
2. Root phone, unlock bootloader, and find a good custom rom to install
3. Backup all data and reflash to an earlier/original HTC Rom

With #2, the phone is out of warranty anyway and I am guessing development for this device has peaked so any custom roms out there are probable pretty stable.

With #3, They aren't very techie and don't care if the phone is rooted or not, but asked me if it was an option.

I know Motorola has RSD Lite, Samsung has Odin, Google has ADB.

Does HTC also have their own proprietary flashing utility that is readily available for download?

Also, how protective is HTC of their phone ROMS/image files and do they still manage to get released anyway--because I would need them to be able to flash.
With Moto it seemed like they would get released involuntarily and then the cease and desist letters would go out and they would be removed.
With my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus, Google freely distributes them on their website, so I have seen both extremes.

#3 may be the best option for my friend since it will basically restore their phone to the software it had before the update and normally flashing a phone is pretty easy and doesn't require root, though it would be nice to be able to block further carrier updates once the phone is restored.

If it was my own phone, I would probably choose #2 since I appreciate developer enhancements. However, I will always keep the factory image files close at hand so I can easily restore the phone if needed.

Has any HTC ROM or image file been released for the Droid DNA yet? The device is carrier unlocked and developer support seems to be strong, but do you guys have an easy way to get back to 100% stock if you need to?

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I dunno about the sensation.. he could just use a custom ROM. But check out xda they have a post about going back to stock on the DNA.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie