Update Push Arriving Feb. 14 Says Verizon

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
May sound like a stupid question, but how do I access the update tomorrow? This is my first higher end android device and I've never had to do a software update. Will it be pushed to my device or will I have to manually update it via the computer?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

dnickb

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
May sound like a stupid question, but how do I access the update tomorrow? This is my first higher end android device and I've never had to do a software update. Will it be pushed to my device or will I have to manually update it via the computer?

Not a dumb question at all.

2 ways essentailly.

1) If you go into settings, scroll down to the bottom and tap on "Software Update", and tap on "Check Now," the phone will check for an update and grab it if it's available. Keep in mind that they are usually rolled out gradually, so your device may not get it on day 1.

2) I am pretty sure that, eventually, the device will notify you that you have an update available and prompt you to download it.

No computer required :)

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
So I was just thinking about rooting when this announcement of an update came out. Any opinions if it makes more sense to go ahead and root now, or wait and root after the update?
I believe if you root you'd not be notified of the update..when I rooted a while back there was discussion of this, I've since returned to stock.

jobjohnny

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe a sign of the imminent update? I manually checked my non-rooted, stock phone for an update and it's hanging at "Checking for new Software available now." I don't get a message saying no updates are available nor do I get an update. Hopefully it comes thru soon.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I just checked a few times, first two times said no update available third and on just hung at checking.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

jasoraso

May 17, 2010
Visit site
The creator of the app SuperCID used to unlock the device has said that he does NOT expect his app to work after the update. So, if you haven't rooted before the update, you will be unlikely to be able to root after, unless and until a new rooting method is developed.

If you think you want root, I would do it before the update!