Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Default Otterbox defender

Has anyone that has the otterbox defender left the screen protector on? I don't really mind the decreased sensitivity knowing that the screen is safe. And I've read that when you remove the screen protector the case becomes loose.

Global Posts
    954 Global Posts

Default Re: Otterbox defender

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyshinta View Post
    Has anyone that has the otterbox defender left the screen protector on? I don't really mind the decreased sensitivity knowing that the screen is safe. And I've read that when you remove the screen protector the case becomes loose.
    Hey, I don't have a droid, but I use an Otterbox Defender on my Galaxy S3 I would never even consider taking the built in screen protector off. The sensitivity isn't bad at all, I can't tell you if it would loosen the case, but I would strongly recommend NOT removing it. If you want a case that does the same thing as an OTTER and doesn't have a screen protector get a Ballistic case. And use your own Screen Protector.
    Samsung Galaxy S4 SGH-I337M - 4.2.2
    Telus Mobility
    Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
    ---
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Any problems with the silicone stretching out? I removed the case a couple of times to try and clean out dust from under the screen protector.

Haven't used a defender on my S3 yet (currently using a commuter) but I never had a problem with stretching on my old iPhone 3gs, but my wife's iPhone 4 did have a couple defenders where the rubber stretched really badly.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3

Both my son and I have an Otterbox Defender case on our GS3s. Check out my review on my YouTube channel, TheJCP006. The screen protector is just fine and sensitivity difference is neglible at best though as clear as not having it. Protection over appearance any day.

Sent From My Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Tablet
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

I think the screen protector sensitivity issue is due to the glass being beveled. So the protector isn't flush with the screen
  7. Thread Author  Thread Author    #7  

Default Re: Droid DNA Cases

Quote Originally Posted by rew001 View Post
    Pretty much the only reason I'm using one with it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2
    It just fits in my baggy jeans comfortably. I have a tighter pair and I'm pretty sure it won't fit. Might be forced to use the holster.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I have the defender on my DNA and I removed the plastic screen after a matter of hours. It wasn't even just the desensitized screen, but the give beneath the screen when pressing that drove me insane. I didn't like the feeling of air between the protector, the glass, and my finger. The case is a little looser since removing the screen but not noticably so to the point that the case doesn't fit the phone. Its more of a little creak on each side. The case still fits the phone perfectly and I am much happier with my purchase now that I've removed the screen. I kept it incase I ever decided I wanted to reattach it but I highly doubt o ever will. I have removed the cover frequently to show the difference between naked and cased and the silicon is as rigid as always.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

My husband has the defender on his note 2 and while the screen protector has the same issue as the dnas, it isn't as noticeably so, and he has decided to keep his intact. Both of our phones have screen protectors installed anyways, so I believe my screen is just as protected as it would have been with the built in protector without the issues of dust build up or permanant scratches on the built in protector. I can remove my screen protector at any time if it becomes too damaged and replace it.

10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

I think I'm going to have to suck it up and use the holster. I can get the phone in my pocket but moving around is uncomfortable.
  11. Thread Author  Thread Author    #11  

I think I'm going to have to suck it up and use the holster. I can get the phone in my pocket but moving around is uncomfortable.
    Does anyone have any tips for taking the phone out of the holster? It's kinda awkward with the release being at the top when it's horizontal

Who uses the holster and who has found a way of making this fit in their pockets?
    Last edited by johnnyshinta; 02-13-2013 at 04:44 PM.
  12. Thread Author  Thread Author    #12  

So I wore the holster for all of 10 minutes. Not gonna happen. I'll just have to deal with a massive phone in my pocket. No biggie... Get it lol.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

My phone feels normal sized now that I've had it for a while. Especially next to my husband's note 2.

14. Thread Author  Thread Author    #14  

The only thing I'm really worried about is the silicone stretching cuz I have taken it off a few times to try and clean it
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Does anyone think that putting the case in your pocket contributes to the silicone stretching out?

Does anyone think that putting the case in your pocket contributes to the silicone stretching out?
    no, if it is stretching out, it is most likely from taking it off of the phone. FWIW, I had one on my Rezound, but, I didn't like the added bulk.
  17. Thread Author  Thread Author    #17  

Yeah I'm finding that I really don't like the bulk. I'm probably going to return it and go back to the diztronic case. The Verizon rep that sold it to me didn't give me the box though only a receipt. Can I still return it?

Yeah I'm finding that I really don't like the bulk. I'm probably going to return it and go back to the diztronic case. The Verizon rep that sold it to me didn't give me the box though only a receipt. Can I still return it?
    You should be able to return, and, a copy of your receipt is always available via verizonwireless.com
  19. Thread Author  Thread Author    #19  

How much do you think it takes to stretch it out? I've taken it off a handful of times to clean the screen. I have been pretty careful and not pulled on it very hard when removing it.
    Last edited by johnnyshinta; 02-17-2013 at 06:19 PM.

How much do you think it takes to stretch it out? I've taken it off a handful of times to clean the screen. I have been pretty careful and not pulled on it very hard when removing it.
    I have taken mine off many times for cleaning purposes and it hasn't stretched at all.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk
    If I were never here, you would never know.

I always take out the built in screen protector on an otterbox. It distorts the display, decreases sensitivity and I'm practically OCD when it came to getting dust between the protector and the display.

I have had several different otterboxes and never had one stretch out no matter how much I put it on and took it off.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by metz65 View Post
    I always take out the built in screen protector on an otterbox. It distorts the display, decreases sensitivity and I'm practically OCD when it came to getting dust between the protector and the display.

I have had several different otterboxes and never had one stretch out no matter how much I put it on and took it off.

I don't care what kind of phone you have, that's not how I judge someone's worth or intelligence.
    How did the case fit without the screen protector?

Last edited by dwaynewilliams#AC; 02-21-2013 at 04:43 PM.

It fits just fine, I can't tell a difference.

Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

I have the case without the screen protector and there is a little give on the sides of the phone because of it. Same on my husbands note 2 with protected removed from ob defender.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

I just returned mine yesterday. Another forum member mentioned the Griffin Survivor case has a much better fit and is dust proof. I was starting to have to taken phone out of the Otterbox to clean out the dust that had accumulated throughout the day. The Survivor doesn't look as good, but the fit is perfect and it is dust proof. It was cheaper too soni got about $15 back. So far I'm happy with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast