ADW Launcher and Widgets?

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Hey everyone,

I have a curious problem and I'm not sure how to go about remedying this.

I'm running the latest ADW Launcher EX (1.3.3.8) and I can't seem to add certain widgets to my home screen, which is somewhat annoying.
I first ran into an issue where I could not load the Evernote widget, but I had no time to deal with it, so I just added the app icon instead.

Now, I'm trying to add the Business Calendar widget, and it doesn't work either.

When I say it doesn't work, I mean I go through the motions of adding a widget:
Long press, select "Add" > "Widget" > then the appropriate application, and the appropriate widget style I want.
I then get the message about ADW being able to read the widget's data, which I accept, then proceed to set up the widgets.
Upon hitting accept, it goes back to the home screen where I see ..... nothing. Nothing has happened, and as far as I can tell, the widget is nowhere to be found.

I went back to the Sense launcher and added the widgets there and it shows up immediately without any issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

NachoLiberator

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Im a n00b myself but could it be your permissions need fixing?
I had similar issue and I booted into recovery using TWRP Then selected Advanced>Fix Permissions>reboot. And it worked for me. I'm also assuming your phone is rooted.
hope this helps :)

DarkScythe

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for the assistance.

My phone is not currently rooted, as I don't have a compelling reason to right now.
I'm waiting for the guys over at XDA to finish porting over CM10 before I do so.

I actually kind of fixed this but I have no idea why or how it worked.

I was poking randomly at the ADW settings, as restarting it did not help.
By chance, I decided to disable the "Sense previews" that I had enabled (I don't remember if this was enabled by default or not) and the widgets all of a sudden started working and able to be added.
I then went back and re-enabled this setting, and the widgets STILL work. So I honestly have no idea what the heck happened, haha.

I am just happy that they are working now.

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
alls well that ends well.. I hadn't a problem (had sense previews checked) but that means little.. Some folks have various issues while others don't, glad it worked for u

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Just saw this post, and I use ADW Ex as well but never experienced those issues. I also use Business Calendar, but it went right onto my home screen like it always does. If it happens again and you figure out what it is, let me know in case it happens to me. Thanks.

Sent from my DNA

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried installing Nova launcher just to see if you have the same problem? I prefer Nova anyway, but it would just allow you to see if it is app specific or something else.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Android Central Forums

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Have you tried installing Nova launcher just to see if you have the same problem? I prefer Nova anyway, but it would just allow you to see if it is app specific or something else.

I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was wondering why you prefer Nova. Thanks!

Sent from my DNA

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
It's been over a year since I've used ADW and maybe thay have update but Nova and Apex are both made for Android 4.0 and up so I'm assuming you have more options and the stock ICS look. Other then that without using ADW I'm not sure of the other benefits.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
It's been over a year since I've used ADW and maybe thay have update but Nova and Apex are both made for Android 4.0 and up so I'm assuming you have more options and the stock ICS look. Other then that without using ADW I'm not sure of the other benefits.

Thanks for the feedback. ADW updated a couple of months ago to work with 4.0 and above. I've used Nova but only for a little bit, so I'm not as familiar with it as I am with ADW, which seemed to have more customization options. But I could be wrong so I'm trying to learn more.

Sent from my DNA

jamdmyers

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
See my thread on Bug Fixes after Update, I'm having issues with adw but I'm not sure it's the app or they are forcing sense, may try nova later tonight to see if that works.

badbrad17

Dec 2, 2011
Visit site
I don't want to hijack the thread, but I was wondering why you prefer Nova. Thanks!

Sent from my DNA
I always find Nova to be up to date and fast. Many other launchers lag. Plus Nova allows you to multi select apps when adding them to your screens. Not sure if ADW does that now, but I know Apex doesn't.