Case or insurance?

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Would you rather pay $7/month and $100 deductible for insurance and go without a case. Or buy a case and ditch insurance? I have always had insurance and typically go without a case. If I get a case it's a thin one. I just picked up an otterbox defender. I'm thinking about dropping insurance but I'm not entirely sure.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Would you rather pay $7/month and $100 deductible for insurance and go without a case. Or buy a case and ditch insurance? I have always had insurance and typically go without a case. If I get a case it's a thin one. I just picked up an otterbox defender. I'm thinking about dropping insurance but I'm not entirely sure.

For me it's absolutely both. A case won't keep you from losing the phone. ;-) Also won't help from catastrophic damage that no case can protect you from. The $100 deductible hurts, but the retail prices for these phones are just ridiculous.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I have both, an otterbox and full coverage. Sometimes phones can still be damaged if dropped within a case. I'm not changing it.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
That's true a case won't help a lost or stolen phone. Or dropped in the toilet. These things are water resistant but not proof. That makes sense thanks for the input guys and/or gals.

noordzy77

Jul 15, 2011
Visit site
Typically both. This Phone is really amazing but it seems to be one of the more fragile I have seen. The Bezel is so slim, the glass takes the brunt of almost any landing. There is no way I could go backwards after having this device and I can't afford to buy another off contract.... So if it breaks I will take another for 99$ please.

johnnyshinta

Jul 30, 2010
Visit site
Right now I'm torn because using a case means I'm less likely to need to submit an insurance claim for a replacement. But it's also making it a less pleasurable experience.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm considering using a case only when I leave the house. I have all carpeted floors and stay at home with my son all day, and he knows ny phone is a big no-no. I've been using the otterbox for a Week now and it feels like a completely different phone. I miss the expierence of the naked dna.

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
I have always carried insurance every since my early BB days and havene't used it since I spilled coffee on my BB Curve but I know the day I cancel it something will happen... I guess better to be safe. I do use the thin Nillkin case to protect from scratches from day to day use.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm considering using a case only when I leave the house. I have all carpeted floors and stay at home with my son all day, and he knows ny phone is a big no-no. I've been using the otterbox for a Week now and it feels like a completely different phone. I miss the expierence of the naked dna.

THAT sounds like me. I use the case-of-the-day (I've accumulated about a half dozen now and alternate based on my mood) when I'm out and I go bareback when home. Take the case right off as soon as I get inside.

I'm not a huge fan of how thin the DNA is (I know plenty would differ with me there), but I do love everything else about the feel, so I prefer it naked when I feel it's safe.

Boy. Plenty of double entendres there... Y'all have fun. ;-)

Sent from my HTC Droid DNA via Tapatalk 2

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Insurance has always struck me as a ripoff. As long as you aren't always dropping the thing, I'd just get a slip case like the Cruzerlite. Mine is in red, and it's great. But I usually leave it off because the phone is so pretty :)

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Put your phone on your homeowners insurance policy.

All mine have been insured for $1,000, no deductible, for $18 per YEAR.

If I break it, I get a check the next day to go buy me another phone, not some old refurb.

hannsoft

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
Put your phone on your homeowners insurance policy.

All mine have been insured for $1,000, no deductible, for $18 per YEAR.

If I break it, I get a check the next day to go buy me another phone, not some old refurb.

Wow - very interesting idea. Have you ever had to make a claim?

hoosiermama2799

Nov 23, 2011
Visit site
I checked with mine today, hoping to get the same info. My homeowners said that it would be subject to my deductible. Drat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Having a protective case definitely changes the look and feel of your phone--but with its smooth all-glass front and lack of bezel, you'd need appropriate protection to use your DNA uninsured.

I opted for a protective case and no insurance. I couldn't find a plan I liked, most of them were either sketchy, or required me to pay 1-2x what I paid for the phone to begin with. I'm fine with the phone in a case, but if you're not, go for insurance.

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
I checked with mine today, hoping to get the same info. My homeowners said that it would be subject to my deductible. Drat.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Put it as a separate line on your policy, like you would a wedding ring, expensive art, or collectible.

We have $500 deductible on homeowners claims, but none on jewelry, phones, art, or my Disney animation collection.

I have Indiana Farm Bureau with my vzw DNA.

streetstrip01

Legalized Drug Dealer
Mar 20, 2011
Visit site
Wow - very interesting idea. Have you ever had to make a claim?

On mine, no. Wife has. Emailed my agent, took a pic of damage, he asked if it could be fixed, I said nope. He said get what info you can off of it, drop it off at the office whenever you get around to it and I'm putting the claim in now. The check was overnighted to me. I turned in the phone that weekend. He just smashed it more with a hammer broke off the internals, smashed them up more and pitched it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance