Results 1 to 22 of 22
Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By MikeLip
  • 1 Post By MikeLip
  • 1 Post By maryjane2300
  • 1 Post By AndroidXTC
  • 2 Post By Lactose The Intolerant
  • 1 Post By jroc
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

    Default Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    The phone is not overwhelmingly better in any one area than the Galaxy S3. The phone is prettier, that's for sure. The phone is faster, but not hugely so. The screen is better - it's bigger (slightly) and brighter, despite Gizmodo whining about it. Color rendition is somewhat better. I can't see a difference in image sharpness, even in text. The control are for me easier to find by touch despite, again, Gizmodo whining about that too. Sound as a speaker phone is far far FAR better than any android phone I've ever used. It's even better than my Blackberrys, and that's saying something. I never thought I'd find a phone as good on speaker as the old Storm. But I did. I even like HTCs Sense skin, but I dumped it for Holo launcher for the higher matrix density. But I love the lock screen. So everything just adds up to a more satisfying package than the vaunted S3. It's just as close to perfect as I've seen. I also swapped in Chomp SMS, which is as close to the Blackberry SMS system as you can get, plus Aqua Mail, which handles multiple email accounts as gracefully as BB did, if not better. So yeah, I'm a happy camper

    I don't like that USB cover though. Know what? I wish they had the lightening connector like the iPhone5. That's an elegant little connector.
    Last edited by MikeLip; 02-14-2013 at 04:47 PM.
  2. #2  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Go to Wireless charging and you'll rarely need to take the cover off, note you can use OTG on here also, this allows you to connect other things like mouse, keyboard to the phone as well as flash drives (you'll need a special cable but they are like $2).. Enjoy your DNA
  3. #3  
    whiteshadow001's Avatar

    Posts
    1,193 Posts
    ROM
    ICS/JB/iOS 5.1

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    The phone is not overwhelmingly better in any one area than the Galaxy S3. The phone is prettier, that's for sure. The phone is faster, but not hugely so. The screen is better - it's bigger (slightly) and brighter, despite Gizmodo whining about it. Color rendition is somewhat better. I can't see a difference in image sharpness, even in text. The control are for me easier to find by touch despite, again, Gizmodo whining about that too. Sound as a speaker phone is far far FAR better than any android phone I've ever used. It's even better than my Blackberrys, and that's saying something. I never thought I'd find a phone as good on speaker as the old Storm. But I did. I even like HTCs Sense skin, but I dumped it for Holo launcher for the higher matrix density. But I love the lock screen. So everything just adds up to a more satisfying package than the vaunted S3. It's just as close to perfect as I've seen. I also swapped in Chomp SMS, which is as close to the Blackberry SMS system as you can get, plus Aqua Mail, which handles multiple email accounts as gracefully as BB did, if not better. So yeah, I'm a happy camper

    I don't like that USB cover though. Know what? I wish they had the lightening connector like the iPhone5. That's an elegant little connector.
    After reading this I now really want this phone

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
  4. Thread Author  Thread Author    #4  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Quote Originally Posted by whiteshadow001 View Post
    After reading this I now really want this phone

    Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Yes. Yes you do.
  5. #5  
    revtech's Avatar

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    884 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    Yes. Yes you do.
    I thought I read somewhere that you are an engineer and loved your maxx hd; I too am an engineer and was going to get a maxx hd but now I see this. I know there's always something better coming along, but obviously you like your dna better than your maxx hd? (Or do I have you confused with someone else?)
  6. Thread Author  Thread Author    #6  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Quote Originally Posted by revtech View Post
    I thought I read somewhere that you are an engineer and loved your maxx hd; I too am an engineer and was going to get a maxx hd but now I see this. I know there's always something better coming along, but obviously you like your dna better than your maxx hd? (Or do I have you confused with someone else?)
    That's me. John Carroll, class of '77. Vacuum tubes are awesome.

    The MaxxHD is a great phone, make no mistake. But it's sort of dated in comparison to the DNA. I do wish it had that battery, and an option for a micro SD, but the 16gig seems like enough. I don't rip CDs or movies. The biggest app I have on board to Tomtom, which eats a couple of gig. After Tomtom and all the rest I still have 8gig remaining. Honestly, the most time I spend on the DNA is with Kindle - right now I'm reading A Confederacy of Dunces and Hell in a Very Small Place. I long ago got used to always having about 93 chargers around, including a couple in my car.
  7. #7  
    revtech's Avatar

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    884 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    So prices being equal right now you would go with the dna? (well thats a stupid question I guess because you already did). And no regrets? Do you get thru a day pretty easily or do you use those 93 chargers to top off throughout the day?
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    If the prices were equal (and they seem to be) I'd go with the DNA. Unless the replaceable battery or ability to use SD cards is important. And yes, I can get through the day. I could with the S3 as well, but I'd be down to a pretty low charge, say 25-35%. I realize some people don't consider this to be dangerously low, but I'm not happy once I'm below, say, 50%. And yes I realize there is some unreasonableness there, so ignore my opinions about battery and just consider the fact that I can get through the day
  9. #9  
    race4life's Avatar

    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    29 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    I have had the S3 for about 3 months. I had to buy a new one off contract (paid full price) about 2 weeks ago. I am going to return it today and get the DNA. I do like the S3 but want something different, so I hope it's as good as everyone says.
  10. Thread Author  Thread Author    #10  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    I think you will be happy with it. Let us know.
  11. #11  
    revtech's Avatar

    Posts
    202 Posts
    Global Posts
    884 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    If the prices were equal (and they seem to be) I'd go with the DNA. Unless the replaceable battery or ability to use SD cards is important. And yes, I can get through the day. I could with the S3 as well, but I'd be down to a pretty low charge, say 25-35%. I realize some people don't consider this to be dangerously low, but I'm not happy once I'm below, say, 50%. And yes I realize there is some unreasonableness there, so ignore my opinions about battery and just consider the fact that I can get through the day
    maybe its something about having an engineer's view of things because I'm that way about batteries too, that's why I was concerned about the dna, sure people say they get through the day but I don't want to just squeek by through the day I want to end it strong ya, wierd I know, never heard anyone else express that sentiment.
  12. #12  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    If u guys are worried about the battery and want a beastly phone why not get a note 2??

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Android Central Forums
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    I want one of those too. But the screen just isn't going to be a DNA screen. The problem is there are too many really awesome phones out there, the Note 2 being one of them. Let me see, I want;

    MaxxHD
    S3
    Note 2
    DNA
    Z10
    iPhone5 (well, kinda)
    Nokia Lumia 920

    There are only so many phones I can get
    jroc likes this.
  14. #14  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    I want one of those too. But the screen just isn't going to be a DNA screen. The problem is there are too many really awesome phones out there, the Note 2 being one of them. Let me see, I want;

    MaxxHD
    S3
    Note 2
    DNA
    Z10
    iPhone5 (well, kinda)
    Nokia Lumia 920

    There are only so many phones I can get
    Lol u sound like me :thumbup:

    Sent from my Sammy S3
    MikeLip likes this.
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    I forgot. I want the Nexus 4 too. But as far as I know that doesn't work on Verizon.
  16. #16  
    AndroidXTC's Avatar

    Posts
    1,036 Posts
    ROM
    None

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    HTC knows how to do Android
    teerone likes this.
  17. #17  
    teerone's Avatar

    Posts
    78 Posts
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    I want the DNA I just don't have VW
  18. #18  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    I forgot. I want the Nexus 4 too. But as far as I know that doesn't work on Verizon.
    It doesn't (great phone tho).

    Sent from my Sammy S3
  19. #19  
    Dreamliner330's Avatar

    Posts
    1,015 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,021 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    I picked up the DNA a couple days ago. I had the MAXX HD before. I'm really feeling the battery life. I can't get through a complete day. The screen is much better. I've never liked AMOLED, I much prefer the clarity of LCD. I do notice some very faint diagonal lines on the DNA screen in light colors, primarily white. I think this is due to the pixel spacing. I can see it when I watch YouTube content with the screen ~8" from my face laying in bed.

    I switched because my MAXX HD is becoming unusably laggy. I'm going to see if I can fix it, because I really need better battery life than the DNA can provide. I've also had my eyes open for a Note 2, the pixel arrangement seems to be better than on the S3/RAZR HD, but I can still see pixels, it just doesn't appear to be as 'pixelated' as the S3/RAZR HD..


  20. #20  
    Lactose The Intolerant's Avatar

    Posts
    420 Posts
    ROM
    Stock until 4.0.4 hits

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    The phone is not overwhelmingly better in any one area than the Galaxy S3. The phone is prettier, that's for sure. The phone is faster, but not hugely so. The screen is better - it's bigger (slightly) and brighter, despite Gizmodo whining about it. Color rendition is somewhat better. I can't see a difference in image sharpness, even in text. The control are for me easier to find by touch despite, again, Gizmodo whining about that too. Sound as a speaker phone is far far FAR better than any android phone I've ever used. It's even better than my Blackberrys, and that's saying something. I never thought I'd find a phone as good on speaker as the old Storm. But I did. I even like HTCs Sense skin, but I dumped it for Holo launcher for the higher matrix density. But I love the lock screen. So everything just adds up to a more satisfying package than the vaunted S3. It's just as close to perfect as I've seen. I also swapped in Chomp SMS, which is as close to the Blackberry SMS system as you can get, plus Aqua Mail, which handles multiple email accounts as gracefully as BB did, if not better. So yeah, I'm a happy camper

    I don't like that USB cover though. Know what? I wish they had the lightening connector like the iPhone5. That's an elegant little connector.
    Gizmodo didn't like an Android phone... and in other news, water continues to be wet Cheers, mate... glad you're liking your DNA!
    mightyfacundo and masc69 like this.
  21. #21  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Glad your enjoying your DNA, I took a long long look at the DNA when I got my SG3......maybe I should.......nah I'm good for now. One of the main problems in the smartphone world is, there is always a NICER phone coming soon, sometimes sooner than we would like. I wonder how that SG4 will be ......here I go again
  22. #22  

    Default Re: Got the DNA - wow. And thats from an S3 guy

    Quote Originally Posted by teerone View Post
    I want the DNA I just don't have VW
    Dont worry.....the HTC One/M7 is coming to other carriers soon. Its like a lil update to the DNA. Its funny because some at another site are upset that the One isnt coming to Verizon...I said whats wrong with the DNA? It just came out...and it seems to be a nice phone. As always....ppl want the latest n greatest. There isnt that much of a difference between the DNA and the One...for ppl that have or can get the DNA to be upset.

    More info about the One:

    http://forums.androidcentral.com/rum...a-htc-one.html
    teerone likes this.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2012, 08:00 AM
  2. Just got the extended batt. and incipio case
    By bignaz in forum Verizon Galaxy Nexus Accessories
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-04-2012, 04:23 AM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last Post: 08-13-2011, 05:40 PM
  4. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-06-2011, 04:09 AM
  5. Anyone got the Evo ordered and may not pick up ?
    By OrderedtheEvo in forum HTC EVO 4G
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 05-29-2010, 02:31 PM

Posting Permissions

B