Backlight screen issues?

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
When we bought my husband's DNA it had a major defect in the screen. At max brightness it barely stood up against mine at minimum brightness. Most noticeably though, on white screens there seemed to be a shadowy rippled effect on the screen right above the capacitive buttons. I never seemed to have this issue until recently, where I can notice a slight shadowy area above my buttons. Its only noticable on white or light screens. Any idea what is causing this or has anyone else had this issue? I can deal with the light leak from the buttons on black screens but this kind of irks me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
I've had more than 5 replacement units all with the same problem. I contacted HTC and they said that due to a gap between the LCD and the glass, light bleed is to be expected. Basically, HTC has some kind of subpar manufacturing process so all of the DNAs will show some varying degree of this (including along the sides). This is probably the last time I'll be buying an HTC phone.

garl6

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I've had more than 5 replacement units all with the same problem. I contacted HTC and they said that due to a gap between the LCD and the glass, light bleed is to be expected. Basically, HTC has some kind of subpar manufacturing process so all of the DNAs will show some varying degree of this (including along the sides). This is probably the last time I'll be buying an HTC phone.

curious. i literally only have light bleed on the bottom of the phone due to the capacitive buttons (which i expected). and i can only see it when i'm in a completely dark room for the split second the buttons light up before the screen.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site

My light bleed on every black screen between each capacitive button, and the weird shadowy affect on the bottom of the phone on light or white screens. I swear I didn't notice it when I first got the phone but over time I have. It isn't a deal breaker for me, but its obnoxious.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site
My light bleed on every black screen between each capacitive button, and the weird shadowy affect on the bottom of the phone on light or white screens. I swear I didn't notice it when I first got the phone but over time I have. It isn't a deal breaker for me, but its obnoxious.

Do you see a minor version of it along the right side of the screen as well? I've been really disappointed with the quality of the backlighting as compared to my iPad and previous iPhone (not to mention the digitizer grid, but I've gotten used to that).

Last edited:

xXBLACKBERRYXx5

May 18, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm lucky. No replacement dna's yet and non bleed or defects whatsoever other than no SIM detected once a month.

law2010

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
When we bought my husband's DNA it had a major defect in the screen. At max brightness it barely stood up against mine at minimum brightness. Most noticeably though, on white screens there seemed to be a shadowy rippled effect on the screen right above the capacitive buttons. I never seemed to have this issue until recently, where I can notice a slight shadowy area above my buttons. Its only noticable on white or light screens. Any idea what is causing this or has anyone else had this issue? I can deal with the light leak from the buttons on black screens but this kind of irks me.

Sorry I am not going to be much help, but I wanted to let you know that my first DNA had no light bleeding anywhere on the phone and the screen was amazing with none of the issues you are noting. Naturally, I dropped that one and it still had no problems with the screen, but the wifi internally started having problems after the fall. I just received a new DNA the other day to replace the one I dropped. Sure enough, this new one has no light bleed and the screen looks good all around. It sounds like you have a faulty unit. If it is insured, get a replacement.

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

Did you bother replacing the phone for this issue or any other? (i.e. If you got a replacement, does it exhibit the same issue?) I'm going to take a trip to the Verizon store this week and scope out the display unit for this and a few other defects. I'm weighing whether or not I should take their offer of a new (not refurb phone replacement) as the unit I currently have has the backlight defects I've had on every refurbished phone but has probably the best calibration of the LCD panel of any replacement I've had.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Did you bother replacing the phone for this issue or any other? (i.e. If you got a replacement, does it exhibit the same issue?) I'm going to take a trip to the Verizon store this week and scope out the display unit for this and a few other defects. I'm weighing whether or not I should take their offer of a new (not refurb phone replacement) as the unit I currently have has the backlight defects I've had on every refurbished phone but has probably the best calibration of the LCD panel of any replacement I've had.

No, I never did seek a replacement. The light bleed above the capacitive buttons isn't a bug deal to me, and the other shadowy areas are only seen on light screens, and sometimes I can't even notice them. Unless it gets worse, I will stick with this phone (it being bought new, opposed to a refurb.) If I were you, I would take them up on the offer of a new, non refurbished device

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
In fact, the capacitive light bleed csnt even be seen right now. I thinj its primarily when my capacitive buttons first light up. If I see anymore issues I will post pictures of them.

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Here is an example of the issue. It is only visible on a white screen, and right now I really only see it on the top of the screen. Oh. And excuse all the finger oil lol

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1367129491252.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1367129491252.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 17

user242

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry you and others are having these screen light bleeding issues. Thankfully I haven't seen any of these symptoms at all. Maybe htc updated the hardware on their newer dna devices including an updated digitizer and screen?

Sent from my human DNA ;-)

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
I'm sorry you and others are having these screen light bleeding issues. Thankfully I haven't seen any of these symptoms at all. Maybe htc updated the hardware on their newer dna devices including an updated digitizer and screen?

I bought mine the first of February, so I consider it a pretty recent device...

Infinite Jest

Nov 5, 2011
Visit site

It's more like the opposite of light bleed. Dark screens look great but on light screens, especially all white, the bottom of appears to be missing some backlight as well as darker spots along the side rather than 'hot spots'. You can't really see the disparity between top and bottom if you load an all white image with a screen test app and hold the phone in landscape. That seems to be constant through all phones I've owned while the shadowing along the sides changes from phone to phone (all refurbs, mind you).

Last edited:

user242

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine the first of February, so I consider it a pretty recent device...

I got my new dna almost 2 weeks ago. I would demand for a new device this time though and not a reconditioned or refurbished one. Good luck.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza