Juice defender

moosc

Grand Master Moosc
Oct 20, 2009
Visit site
Learned along time ago not to worry about battery life. It's a phone meant to be used. All these apps do is play havoc on your cellular connections. For the amount you save by disconnecting the radios you lose by the radio reconnecting.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Rizz1-2

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
My battery last me fine. I don't do anything or use any special apps for battery life. This phone last me all day no problem. Would last me 2 days but I always charge at night.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Go to the Verizon Galaxy S3 forum and look for my Juice Defender review . I ran JD Ultimate on the S3 on alternate days for three weeks, and collected state of charge over a specified usage time every day, producing data on rate of discharge both with and without JDU. I translated that into a change in runtime as well. The upshot is JD will save you *some* battery. But; 1) Do NOT believe their claims of greatly increased battery life. At most I would have gotten an extra hour or two. 2) JD does NOTHING you can't do yourself. Turn off mobile data, wifi, bluetooth or whatever when you are not using it and you will realize the same savings, since that is all JD is doing. You *may* be able to get more if you root your phone and let JD throttle your clock for you, but from what I've seen, phones handle that pretty well themselves. Not worth the money.

JD never caused any problems with my cellular connection - in fact it never caused a problem at all.

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Eh, I'll just repost it here;

I have been kind of cynical about the savings possible on a phone using software. But I figured it would be interesting to try it, and the one that seems to have the best reviews is Juice Defender. I thought it would be nice if I could get materially better life without having to sacrifice the thinness of the S3. Lets see how it does.

Since I don't have any equipment to do this with, it seemed a statistical approach would work. You can both enable and disable Juice Defender from a widget. There are three versions - free, plus and ultimate. Plus and Ultimate give you some good configuration options. Ultimate gives you more than plus, but you must be rooted to use them. For instance it allows you to throttle CPU clock. If you are not rooted, buy Plus. It does everything Ultimate does on non-rooted phones. I set mine to turn mobile data off, but turn it on once every 30 minutes to retrieve email and stuff. JD does not interfere with mobile data if you start an app that uses it, like a browser. There is nothing JD does that you cannot do yourself, but it does it without you having to bother about it and can do it on schedules. I alternated enabling and disabling JD on work days, since my phone usage patterns are more or less the same over the week. I did not collect data on weekends because my usage is weird. Sometimes I won't look at the phone, other times I am on it all day. I tested for three weeks. I collected the data from 5AM to 9PM, the times the phone is not on charge at my bedside.

The results are pretty simple. With JD ENabled, my usage ran the battery down at a calculated, average rate of 3.79%/hr. With it DISabled, usage ran 4.48%/hr. This is a difference of .68% an hour. To put that in perspective, for me with JD running it takes 13.2 hours to use half the battery. With it off, I use half the battery in 11.1hours. Not a huge difference.

Notice that the widget reports what it thinks you are saving and displays it as a multiplier. In other words, if the widget thinks I am doubling battery life it would show x2.00. In fact it never showed less than x1.8 which is a severe overstatement of savings. It should have shown about x1.2.

So, is it worth it? Maybe. I can squeeze a couple more hours out of my phone without getting too paranoid about it, but it is in NO way a replacement for an extended battery, which their info would lead you to believe - and in fact what their widget is trying to tell you. Don't believe all the reviews. There is a strong element of self-delusion there, justifying the rather high cost of the paid app. Remember, JD is doing nothing you cannot do yourself with easy access to the power bar from the status bar. If you want to save the money, turn off mobile data when you aren't using it by hand.

If you are rooted, get the Ultimate and let it throttle your clock - although it seems to me the S3 does that pretty well itself, dropping the clock way back when those cycles are not needed.

One thing it DOES do when you get really low is to unconditionally turn off mobile data when you reach some discharge threshold - sacrificing mobile data for voice and text, which seems a proper way to trade remaining battery life for phone usability. But again, you can do that yourself.

All in all I'd say I wasted my money on Ultimate, or even Plus. But it was an interesting experiment and a lesson in not believing user reviews when the reviewers have not done any objective tests. It's too easy to fool yourself without hard data.

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I think the most important thing is to not have your brightness on auto--that sucks up my battery like crazy, and on auto-brightness I only get ~3 hours' screentime max, just web browsing and such. Turn off signals whenever you're not using them, uninstall unnecessary apps that run all the time, etc. You might as well by an external battery charger, if your phone doesn't last all day for you.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the most important thing is to not have your brightness on auto--that sucks up my battery like crazy, and on auto-brightness I only get ~3 hours' screentime max, just web browsing and such. Turn off signals whenever you're not using them, uninstall unnecessary apps that run all the time, etc. You might as well by an external battery charger, if your phone doesn't last all day for you.

I agree with that 100%, although it seems to me like this should be cooked right into the Android OS by Google : "power govenor" settings that you can flip on and off with a single touch.

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

anon(924308)

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
I agree with that 100%, although it seems to me like this should be cooked right into the Android OS by Google : "power govenor" settings that you can flip on and off with a single touch.

That would make so much sense; you could toggle between a few customizable settings--e.g. power-saver, power-user, some custom in-between setting, etc. that you could keep in your notifications bar if you wanted.

droidmyme

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
That would make so much sense; you could toggle between a few customizable settings--e.g. power-saver, power-user, some custom in-between setting, etc. that you could keep in your notifications bar if you wanted.

Exactly. Makes me wonder why Google doesn't implement such a thing?

Sent from my LS670 using Android Central Forums

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
szcad