Optimal charger amperage

gug317

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
So I wonder who in this forum is the electrical engineer to ask. I want to use a charger with a higher rated amperage than the 1.0 Amp charger that came with the phone to speed up the charger. I have used a 1.8 and a 2.0. The 2.0 I worry it's over stressing the device as it gets pretty hot. Anyone one know what's a "safe" charger to use besides the stock 1.0 Amp? Thanks.

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
It should be okay but don't hold me to that. Lol. I say that because VZW sells a rapid charger for the DNA that is 2.1 Amps & I seriously hope they wouldn't sell an accessory that would damage our device.

Dreamliner330

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
Amps don't matter, Volts do. The device will only take up to the amount of Amps it can handle. By using a high Amp charger you are potentially unlocking 'faster speed' charging. Part of the reason the old Samsung phones charged so slow was a crazy small power supply.

Don't worry, you'll be fine. :)

MikeLip

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
Does a faster charge drain faster than the slow charge?

No. As long as all the energy gets put into the battery, it's as full as it would be on a slow charge. Think of it like filling a bucket from a 1" diameter hose vs a 1/2" diameter hose with the same pressure behind it. The 1" will fill it much faster, but full with a 1" is the same as full with a 1/2". It just takes longer to get there.

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
No. As long as all the energy gets put into the battery, it's as full as it would be on a slow charge. Think of it like filling a bucket from a 1" diameter hose vs a 1/2" diameter hose with the same pressure behind it. The 1" will fill it much faster, but full with a 1" is the same as full with a 1/2". It just takes longer to get there.
This is a ggrr8t read on battery charging.
Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

Irvgotti

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
The phone charges faster than other phones . Qualcomm has quick charge 1.0 on the snapdragons4s. So if u have a phone with a similar processor it will charge faster than something that doesn't have the processor

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums

ggrr8t

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
The phone charges faster than other phones . Qualcomm has quick charge 1.0 on the snapdragons4s. So if u have a phone with a similar processor it will charge faster than something that doesn't have the processor

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
Right you Some of the devices that feature Quick Charge 1.0 include (full list can be seen on Qualcomm's site):

HTC 8X, Droid DNA, Evo 4G LTE, One S, One VX, One SV
LG Escape, Mach, Motion 4G, Nexus 4, Optimus G, Spectrum 2, Optimus Regard
Motorola Atrix HD LTE, Droid RAZR HD, Droid RAZR M, Electrify M, Photon Q 4G LTE, Droid RAZR Maxx HD
Pantech Flex
Nokia Lumia 820, 822, 920
ZTE/Sprint Flash
Samsung Galaxy Express, Rugby Pro, Galaxy S Relay 4G, Galaxy S III, Galaxy Victory 4G, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 LTE, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE, Galaxy Tab 7.7 Plus
Sony Xperia TL

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante