Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Irvgotti
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    22 Global Posts

Default Optimal charger amperage

So I wonder who in this forum is the electrical engineer to ask. I want to use a charger with a higher rated amperage than the 1.0 Amp charger that came with the phone to speed up the charger. I have used a 1.8 and a 2.0. The 2.0 I worry it's over stressing the device as it gets pretty hot. Anyone one know what's a "safe" charger to use besides the stock 1.0 Amp? Thanks.

Default Re: Optimal charger amperage

It should be okay but don't hold me to that. Lol. I say that because VZW sells a rapid charger for the DNA that is 2.1 Amps & I seriously hope they wouldn't sell an accessory that would damage our device.

Global Posts
    1,029 Global Posts
    ROM
    100% AOSP/AOKP wanted.

Amps don't matter, Volts do. The device will only take up to the amount of Amps it can handle. By using a high Amp charger you are potentially unlocking 'faster speed' charging. Part of the reason the old Samsung phones charged so slow was a crazy small power supply.

Don't worry, you'll be fine.

Does a faster charge drain faster than the slow charge?

Quote Originally Posted by ggrr8t View Post
    Does a faster charge drain faster than the slow charge?
    No. As long as all the energy gets put into the battery, it's as full as it would be on a slow charge. Think of it like filling a bucket from a 1" diameter hose vs a 1/2" diameter hose with the same pressure behind it. The 1" will fill it much faster, but full with a 1" is the same as full with a 1/2". It just takes longer to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeLip View Post
    No. As long as all the energy gets put into the battery, it's as full as it would be on a slow charge. Think of it like filling a bucket from a 1" diameter hose vs a 1/2" diameter hose with the same pressure behind it. The 1" will fill it much faster, but full with a 1" is the same as full with a 1/2". It just takes longer to get there.
    This is a ggrr8t read on battery charging.
    Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

The phone charges faster than other phones . Qualcomm has quick charge 1.0 on the snapdragons4s. So if u have a phone with a similar processor it will charge faster than something that doesn't have the processor

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Privacy is overrated :P
    Thanked by:
    ggrr8t 
    ggrr8t likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvgotti View Post
    The phone charges faster than other phones . Qualcomm has quick charge 1.0 on the snapdragons4s. So if u have a phone with a similar processor it will charge faster than something that doesn't have the processor

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Right you Some of the devices that feature Quick Charge 1.0 include (full list can be seen on Qualcomm's site):

HTC 8X, Droid DNA, Evo 4G LTE, One S, One VX, One SV
    LG Escape, Mach, Motion 4G, Nexus 4, Optimus G, Spectrum 2, Optimus Regard
    Motorola Atrix HD LTE, Droid RAZR HD, Droid RAZR M, Electrify M, Photon Q 4G LTE, Droid RAZR Maxx HD
    Pantech Flex
    Nokia Lumia 820, 822, 920
    ZTE/Sprint Flash
    Samsung Galaxy Express, Rugby Pro, Galaxy S Relay 4G, Galaxy S3, Galaxy Victory 4G, Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 LTE, Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 LTE, Galaxy Tab 7.7 Plus
    Sony Xperia TL