Welcome to the Android Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
  1. Thread Author  Thread Author    #1  

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Default Google Maps draining battery while closed

My new DNA has pretty terrible battery life. When looking at the battery usage, it looks like Google Maps is the culprit.

I have not opened the maps app and use advanced task killer to close apps constantly.

I turned off Google Latitude and still have abysmal battery life. I cannot make it through a basic workday without the phone draining to almost nothing.

Anyone know what is causing this?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Maps draining battery while closed-2013-02-19_09-47-58.jpg   Google Maps draining battery while closed-2013-02-19_07-55-47.jpg  

Default Re: Google Maps draining battery while closed

Quote Originally Posted by law2010 View Post
    I have not opened the maps app and use advanced task killer to close apps constantly.
    Try not doing that... At all. Let Android handle app management.
    paulmike3 likes this.
  3. Thread Author  Thread Author    #3  

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Thanks, but the Maps App is obviously being activated by something and it is using a disproportionate amount of my battery versus everything else. I think that is my main power problem.

Every time you force close maps it will restart usually automatically and will definitely kill the battery. Also other apps and the browser I see in the screen shot uses location check settings in popular apps that you use and turn off their location settings. I hope that helps a bit.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Android Central Forums

If you are not using Google Now, turn it off. It does alot of location based stuff.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    ROM
    CND 1.3.3

I think this is a broader Jelly Bean issue with Maps, I've read about it on other devices as well. Hopefully Google will release an update to Maps that addresses it.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

After the update, I had Google Maps in "stalker mode" reporting my whereabouts periodically throughout the day, and looking for places to check-in, and I saw the same skewed battery usage for Maps. I turned all of that off and today it is back to normal - Maps is at 7% App Usage. I am in WiFi most of the day today, so I'm not 100% sure the problem is solved.
  8. Thread Author  Thread Author    #8  

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jf2go View Post
    After the update, I had Google Maps in "stalker mode" reporting my whereabouts periodically throughout the day, and looking for places to check-in, and I saw the same skewed battery usage for Maps. I turned all of that off and today it is back to normal - Maps is at 7% App Usage. I am in WiFi most of the day today, so I'm not 100% sure the problem is solved.
    When you refer to turning all that off, what are you referring to specifically? If I go into Google Maps, settings, and shut everything off, which includes latitude, it still does not fix the problem.

It must be some other app that is pulling my location, but I can't figure out what. I do not want to wipe out Facebook or the weather widget, but I am wondering if they are pulling my location all the time.

It's very strange.

I had the same issue for a week, Google maps was using 25-30% of my battery. I figured 1 of the 3 Apps I installed that week might be the culprit so I uninstalled them. Battery has been fine ever since. I think there may some badly written apps out there that continuously pool your location for ADs.

Also, anyone else notice in running apps that you may have 2 Google maps running when you aren't even using it? I can't figure this one out yet.

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

When you refer to turning all that off, what are you referring to specifically? If I go into Google Maps, settings, and shut everything off, which includes latitude, it still does not fix the problem.

It must be some other app that is pulling my location, but I can't figure out what. I do not want to wipe out Facebook or the weather widget, but I am wondering if they are pulling my location all the time.

It's very strange.
    In Google Maps -> Settings -> Location Settings, I don't have anything checked. I am still using Google Now, which seems to know where I am and provide relevant cards.

I also have Facebook installed, and am allowing the Sense weather widget to update.

ROM
    Stock Sense 4.1.1

Turn off all the location settings

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Android Central Forums
    Privacy is overrated :P

Global Posts
    112 Global Posts

Google Maps was updated today - notes say "bug fixes". I just re-enabled report my location from this device in location settings to see if the Maps battery usage goes nuts again.
  13. Thread Author  Thread Author    #13  

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jf2go View Post
    Google Maps was updated today - notes say "bug fixes". I just re-enabled report my location from this device in location settings to see if the Maps battery usage goes nuts again.
    I just updated maps and re-enabled everything. Hopefully that resolves the problem.

I will try to keep you posted.

I had the same issue disabled the maps app because I rarely used it and my battery life went way back up to over a day

Sent from my Red Droid DNA
    Thanked by:
  15. Thread Author  Thread Author    #15  

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts

I just updated maps and re-enabled everything. Hopefully that resolves the problem.

I will try to keep you posted.
    After the google maps update, I have not experienced any change. The app or a rogue app tapping google maps is still eating most of my battery life.

It's very strange.

Report from this device in the settings menu may be the culprit.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Can't figure this out. Frustrating. Same problem. Unbelievably inefficient and a waste of battery resources. Can't wait to learn what the culprit is.

Having the exact same issue. If anyone figures it out I'd love a way to get my battery life back!
    rule the air.

Global Posts
    1,261 Global Posts

i had to disable the app to get it to stop...sucks, but it was the only way
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    2,032 Global Posts

Uninstall all map updates on your phone, and turn off location sharing in the app. This will majorally fix the problem. If all else fails, disable the app. If you check your battery graph, is your phone being awakened when the screen is not on? I found that was the problem with Google maps, it was using 30% of my battery and keeping my phone awake 24/7.

Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

I had the same problem, just uninstall Google Map updates and problem is fixed
    You can see from the image the updates keep the phone always awake even if screen was off. Once I removed the updates, the phone was not awake when not using it
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Maps draining battery while closed-google-maps-battery-drain.png  

ROM
    CM10.2

Maps is destroying my battery life again. I'm on a ROM so I can't uninstall updates. I've got the app uninstalled right now but is there a way to install an older version that doesn't drain my battery?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4 Beta
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Google Maps draining battery while closed-uploadfromtaptalk1373074292695.jpg  
    HTC Droid DNA

Global Posts
    127 Global Posts

Make sure you disable the location sharing in google maps. This is on by default. Does anyone know how to disable google now? I don't remember how to do that.

ROM
    CM10.2

Quote Originally Posted by Shygar View Post
    Make sure you disable the location sharing in google maps. This is on by default. Does anyone know how to disable google now? I don't remember how to do that.
    Hmm I just installed it and its off. Ill update.

Sent from my CM7 OG Droid using Tapatalk
    HTC Droid DNA

Quote Originally Posted by Shygar View Post
    just hold down your home button, go into settings and turn off now and notifications and such
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast