What does a launcher replace?

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
Forgive me, stupid newbie question... never had an android before, but considering getting a DNA.

I understand that HTC layers a "skin" called Sense on top of Android, and that skin changes how Android looks. I guess things like the infamous clock, that "carousel" type thing for viewing running tasks, etc. are part of Sense.

I'm wondering how much of Sense can be changed or done? Can that carousel task switcher be replaced with the usual vertical list of tasks? Can the home page be changed? Do the buttons for settings, etc. change appearance?

How much of "Sense" can be undone if desired (without "rooting", just by installing a new launcher)?

Mooem

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Just FYI, Sense is a bit more than a visual skin. It contains core software changes that modifies not only how Android looks but also how it behaves.
Can that carousel task switcher be replaced with the usual vertical list of tasks?
No. This is a system change and it requires root to modify.

Can the home page be changed?
I'm assuming you mean the home screen in which case, yes, you can change that with a third party launcher. A third party launcher, like Nova from the Play Store, will replace the home screen and app drawer. Be warned that you won't be able to use Sense widgets with a third party launcher. Those only work with the default launcher (also known as Rosie I believe).

In addition, third party launchers will not change anything else that HTC has changed at the system level in particular anything that is visual. There are some installable skins available that utilize the Sense skin personalization settings but they are very limited on what can be modified. You could replace things like the phone, text messaging, and browser system apps with third party apps from the Play Store, but the system apps will remain there.

Replacing the launcher is the easiest way to have a customizable experience without rooting your phone but you will still know you are using Sense.

Last edited:

Jennifer Stough

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2013
Visit site
Third party launchers are primarily for visual customization use only. Third party apps like go sms or go contacts can be used to alter sense system componants, but they don't come included in launchers.
The first image is sense launcher. The second is a third party launcher called nova launcher. I suggest tampering with sense before deciding on a launcher, widgets can help the customization process without needing a launcher. I personally just didn't like the stock sense icon pack.
Sent from my Verizon Droid DNA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361390594680.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361390594680.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 77
  • uploadfromtaptalk1361390632066.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361390632066.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 36

katesbb

Feb 15, 2013
Visit site
You can also edit the often cluttered Notification Bar with Apps like "StatusBar+"--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...com.tombarrasso.android.wp7bar&token=W9A5ZG9J

As well as the Lockscreen with a highly customizable one called "WidgetLocker"--> https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...d=com.teslacoilsw.widgetlocker&token=1Dg6Lnna

Wow, that's pretty neat! Seems like you can change nearly everything really, so no two DNAs will necessarily even look alike!

Somewhat OT (but hey, it's my thread!), but can you change how the DNA's LED works? Specifically, can you use LightFlow or something to make it blink blue for IMs, green for emals, red for missed calls, etc.? Or is it one color only?

Can you also set alerts to KEEP beeping (like every two minutes) until acknowledged if you miss a text, etc.?

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Ya, there's absolutely no reason 2 phones should look alike (like iPhones)!

As for LightFlow, it doesn't work well for the LED with the Droid DNA but I suspect the Dev will address that soon.
LightFlow can however do alot more than just LED & can indeed remind you of Notifications until you dismiss them yourself.

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

Lanhoj

May 16, 2011
Visit site
@ mightyfacundo:

Center the clock - yes
Change the battery icon - can set it to either display an icon and % or both

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
Post how u like it & how well it works please :)

My wife decided to go pick up the kids, so I had time to mess with the app. Initial thoughts: It's got an intuitive interface that makes it easy to customize the status bar. You can change the color of all the icons and pick which icons are in the status bar.

They also have a 14 day trial version if you want to give it a try: Status Bar+ custom bar trial.

Here's a screenshot to give you an idea. I made mine pretty minimalist, but you can add more.

Sent from my DNA

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1361403419341.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1361403419341.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 18

mightyfacundo

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site
I keep mine a bit more minimalist by removing the clock. Other than that I set it the same way.
I love the App & have it installed on all my Android phones.

I was just looking at the screen and thinking the same thing. Thanks again for the app suggestion.

Sent from my DNA

MrRicks84

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
My wife decided to go pick up the kids, so I had time to mess with the app. Initial thoughts: It's got an intuitive interface that makes it easy to customize the status bar. You can change the color of all the icons and pick which icons are in the status bar.

They also have a 14 day trial version if you want to give it a try: Status Bar+ custom bar trial.

Here's a screenshot to give you an idea. I made mine pretty minimalist, but you can add more.

Sent from my DNA

That looks pretty awesome & well worth $1.99! I think I'll pick that app up also

- - - Updated - - -

Sent from my DNA

That looks pretty awesome & well worth $1.99! I think I'll pick that app up also